FTDI Multi- USB/RS232 Converters

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi there,

We have got a PCB with 2 FTDI 4232 IC's, which gives use 8 VCP comm ports. Our problem is that we don't "see" all 8 comm ports using VB6 or RealTerm or TeraTerm. The number of ports we can see differs each time we unplug and replug the usb connectors. Under Windows's System->Hardware-> Device Manager->Ports we do see all 8 comm ports, every time.

What is going on here/what are we missing?

Regards
Jacques

I didn't used this ic (only the FT232R), but FTDI must have a virtual com driver for this ic. Are you sure it is installed on your PC?

Michael.

User of:
IAR Embedded Workbench C/C++ Compiler
Altium Designer

The problem is not that we can't communicate with our devices on the PCB thru the 4232 IC's, the problem is that we can't see all of the VCP. The ones what we do see works perfectly.

For example in Device Manager->Ports we see COM1 to COM8 but using any Hyperterminal/RealTerm/TeraTerm we only see COM1-4,COM7-8, so where are COM5 & 6?

I use the normal COMM component in VB to open/close the port and to send/receive data.
When trying to open COM 5 or 6 in VB, VB says that the port is not available.

Any comments?

At this link, there is some VB code to enumerate the ports. Based on comments in that thread the code appears to work..

http://www.zbasic.net/forum/abou...

Thanks for all your replies!

I managed to fix/solve my problem:

Went to Device Manager->Ports, disabled the comm ports VB/HyperTerminal/RealTerm couldn't see, then re-"enabled" them, and vulla! Now it works perfectly, I can remove the USB/FTDI connections and re-insert them and all of the 8 comm port are "seen" and I can open all of them! Don't ask me why.

Regards