Flashing Orange LED on STK600

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi All,

I just got my STK 600 and installed Atmel Studio 6 with the patch and the service pack. The installation went smoothly with no problems.

I upgraded the STK600 as instructed by the help files in Atmel Studio 6. However, when power up the board, I see the status LED blinking orange.

According to the help files this can mean one of two things:
1 - The STK 600 is not upgraded yet.
2 - There is a router card incompatibility with STK 600

Both of the above do not make sense. I am using the router card with Atmega 2560 soldered on. This came with the STK600 so I cannot see why it should not be compatible. I have also purchased a router card as well as a socket card for Atmega 2560 which I also tried on the STK 600 but I get the same annoying blinking orange LED.

I must also point out another thing I tried. When I remove the socket and the router cards from STK600, the status LED appears solid green. I think this is what I should be seeing with the router and the socket cards on in the first place right?

Has anybody seen this problem? Am I missing jumper or a configuration setting here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards...

On the STK500 the flashing orange used to mean a Vcc-Gnd short detected. Surprised it doesn't mean the same for STK600.

It's a long time since I had an STK600 but is the router card keyed? IOW is there any chance you fitted it the wrong way round?

I have made sure that all the white circles overlap as instructed. I cannot see how I can fit them the wrong way round and yet get all the circles overlapping.

FYI, when a short is detected either on Vtarget or VREF, the status LED blinks red at low frequency on STK 600.

Regards...

How certain then are you that it is not (1) above? The following page in the manual shows how to force a software upgrade:

http://www.atmel.no/webdoc/stk60...

Thanks for the link clawson. I saw that manual procedure as well.

The upgrade steps are slightly different in Atmel Studio 6. In v6, you go to Tools > "AVR Tools firmware upgrade" then the software detects the STK 600 and tells you whether the board needs an upgrade. In my first try the board did need an upgrade and I went ahead and performed it. During the upgrade I could observe the status LED toggling between red, green and orange and pausing every now and then indicating upgrade activity. Once the upgrade was successfully completed (as also confirmed by the software) the LED went back to organge blinking mode again. Obviously the upgrade was not the source of the problem.

I retried the upgrade and the same thing happened again. The only difference in the second trial was that the software detected that the STK 600 did NOT actually need an upgrade. So the first upgrade must have been successfully executed.

I wanted to update this post with a bit more information on this error.

I tried to narrow down where the problem may be by removing the ATmega 2560 on the socket card. The orange LED still kept on blinking even without an MCU installed.

I then removed the socket card itself and left the router card on. The orange LED still kept blinking.

I then removed the router card as well and this time the LED was solid green as expected.

The above shows that the router card is the culprit. The funny thing is the router card has no components on it except a few resistors and capacitors! Theremust be some voltage mismatch somewhere that is identified as a router card incompatibility by the STK 600. However, I have no idea what is causing this still.

By the way, the router card part number is STK600-RC100M-11, in case you need it. Following is the link to it:

http://www.atmel.com/tools/stk60...

The socket card is STK600 TQFP100 and its link is provided below

http://www.atmel.com/tools/stk60...

Hi All,

I resolved the issue a few minutes ago. It's not something that was written anywhere so it took a bit of a trial and error.

When the LED was blinking orange, I connected my AVRONE! to STK600 and attempted to read the device details from Tools>"Device Programming" part. After the read the LED turned green automatically! The result of the read was the indication that VTARGET voltage was 0.0V, which was correct because I had not programmed the voltage generators on board the STK600. I managed to program the power to 5.0V successfully and the green LED above the VTARGET jumper on STK600 lit! (so I got 2 green LED indications instead of one ugly orange blinker!)

I then selected STK600 from the tools option under "Device Programming" which brought a new option called the "Card Stack". When I clicked it, the software was able to detect the router and the socket card as expected. So there is no incompatibility etc. I tried the same check with only ATmega2560 router installed and as expected the software could only detect the router card! Perfect!

Therefore, after a few hours of frustration and browsing, I managed to get back into action.

For those who may have a similar problem, I managed to find a very relevant post that recommends installing AVR studio 4 to resolve the same problem. Apparently, that also works well. The link to the detailed post is below in case someone else needs it.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Regards...

hehe

Some years ago I was very puzzled why I couldn't program the gadget I hadn't turned on

The largest known prime number: 282589933-1

It's easy to stop breaking the 10th commandment! Break the 8th instead. 

Hi TheCyptoman:
I am very new to AVR and Microcontroller Programming I had the same prob like u mentioned above,and I did like u said and was fine with STK lite now in Green,But can you tell me how to Programme STK for 5v to get another green LED blink,thanking you in advance.

Hi,

Following applies if you are using Atmel Studio 6.

1 - Go to Tools > Device Programming
2 - Under Tool dropdown menu, select your STK600 board.
3 - Then click on "Apply"
4 - If all goes well, you should see an option called "Board Settings" on the left side of the window. Click it.
5 - Adjust the Vtarget slider to the voltage you require (i.e. 5.0 volts). ARef0 and ARef1 are set to 4.0 in my case. You may require other levels depending on your application.
6 - Click on "Write" after you have made your slider selection.
7 - After write is successful, perform a read and make sure the voltage reading is approximately what you have specified.

Good luck!