Flash Programming the EVK1105

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have been away from AVR Freaks for a LONG time, so i am playing catch up. anyhosel, i have spend the last hour looking on atmels site for information on how to actually program this AT32UC3A0512 on this kit. Nothing i have read talks about this.
all i see so far is that i can use ether the AVR ONE or the JTAGICE mkII. But i am NOT willing to fork out $500 just to play with this device!!!

what other options do i have for programming this on a low budget ?

This will help:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resourc...

Although, not sure how the connectors are brought out on the EVK1105.

-Deven

Thanks, at least i know that i can program it another way. although that document left out how to startup my kit 1105 to the DFU Bootloader.

Anyone useing the DFU Bootloader on the EVK1105 ?

the only problem with that DFU is that FLIP does not support the processor on the kit.

FLIP (the program itself) does not support AVR32 MCUs at all. You install it just for the included USB drivers.
When a AVR32 in bootmode is connected to a Windows PC these drivers are installed and then you can use AVR32 Studio to flash the MCU. And as far as I know every 32UC3... is shipped with installed bootloader.

If you can't get it to work write atmel an email. I'm sure they can give you the advice you are searching for.

Thanks for the info. all atmel has told me so far is that i should read the DFU. i tried to tell them that i have and that i still cannot get it to work.
getting help from them has been like pulling teeth for me.

Ok, i finally got this to work. I am posting this for others so they wont have to go through the headaches i did in finding out how to do this simple thing that Atmel should have much information about it "IN ONE PLACE" rather than scatted everywhere and even leaving some important steps out.

Lets crate one of the examples and download it to the EVK1105 kit.
#1) you need to install Flip, as there are drivers in there that you will need even though you will not be using it. if you get the windows driver popup when you plug in your board, you will to manually select the driver which is here:
C:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.3.4\usb
#2) open AVR32 Studio and click File-> New -> Example
#3) scroll down to EVK1105 - UC3A Software Framework, and select the EVK-Components-Display example. Then give it a project name, i will call it "test" and then click finish.
#4) in the project explorer, right click on test and go to Build Configurations -> Set Active -> Release.
#5) press CTRL B to rebuild all, when done you should now see a new folder called release. in there there will be a file called "test_RELEASE.elf" this is the bin file we are going to send to the kit.
#6) At this point there are 2 ways to update the board using the DFU, build in boot loader.

You can use AVR32 Studio to download it (7a), or you can use a command prompt and type it in manually(7b).

7a) Go to the AVR32 Target window and click on the chip icon which will create a new target.
then right click on this "New Target" and select Properties. In the Properties window on the general page, lets first give it a name. Lets name it "EVK1105 DFU", then we need to go to the Details page. On this page we need to select "USB DFU" for the Debugger/programmer option. Then select the "UC3A0512" for the Microcontroller, "Crystal connected to OSC0" for the Clock Source, "EVK1105" for the board type. Now we can program the board.
connect the USB cable to the USB "USER" port on the kit. then you need to ground J16 pin 1, press the Reset button on the board,wait a second or so and remove the ground to J16 pin 1. At this point the board is in Boot Loader mode. all you need to do now is go to the AVR32 Targets window and right click on the new "EVK1105 DFU" target we just made.
Then click on "Erase". You MUST do this first before you program it, otherwise it will not work! After its done, then right click on it again and select "Program". Brown to the test_RELEASE.elf file, on my computer is was located at "C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\AVR32 Studio 2.2\workspace\test\Release\test_RELEASE.elf"
Then check the boxes
"Reset MCU after programming" and
"Start executing after programming" and
"Entire file"

Then click on "ok", after a bit the board will boot up with the Demo running on the LCD.

7b) connect the USB cable to the USB "USER" port on the kit. then you need to ground J16 pin 1, press the Reset button on the board,wait a second or so and remove the ground to J16 pin 1. At this point the board is in Boot Loader mode.

Open a dos command window, and go to the folder where the "test_RELEASE.elf" file is at. On my computer this was located at "C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\AVR32 Studio 2.2\workspace\test\Release\test_RELEASE.elf"

now type the following out:

batchisp -device at32uc3a0512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer test_RELEASE.elf program verify start reset 0

then press enter. it will program the board and then start the demo. You will see it on the LCD when its done.

I use 7b, as i dont feel the need to do the erase first when using the 7a step. I have created a .bat file and placed it on my desktop. this is what i have in my .bat file.

cd C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\AVR32 Studio 2.2\workspace\test\Release

batchisp -device at32uc3a0512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer test_RELEASE.elf program verify start reset 0

I hope this is able to help someone out and save them much time in trying out the EVK1105 kit.

P.S. Atmel, you should have something similar to this that comes with the EVK1105 kit!!!

I am getting started with the EVK1105 aswell.

This is a useful thread and saved me chasing the info.

Thanks for taking the time.

Just a follow up. For those of us who don't want to shell out the high cost of a JTAGICE MKII from atmel, there is a clone out there that i just received today for only $149. I just tried it and it worked just fine on my EVK1105 kit. I got it from http://enshop.avrvi.com/jtagicemkiiclone.html

Just wanted to let others know there is a cheaper solution out there. NOTE: i have not tried debugging with it and dont plan to. so beware that this part was not tested by me.

now i find out 8)

Helpful post Jimparisi.

You probably saved me a day and a large clump of the hair on my head. :)