[FIX] Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 breaks Atmel Studio 7

Go To Last Post
15 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I am using VS2015 and AS7 on the same machine.

After Updating VS2015 with Update 1 AS7 does not work anymore. Reinstalling AS7 does not help.

You might see Errors like this during the installation and launch of AS7:

This is how you fix the Error:
Edit the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\AtmelStudio.exe.config" and update the newVersion of "System.Collections.Immutable" from 1.1.36.0 to 1.1.37.0.

before:

<assemblyIdentity name="System.Collections.Immutable" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.27.0-1.1.65535.65535" newVersion="1.1.36.0"/>

after

<assemblyIdentity name="System.Collections.Immutable" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.27.0-1.1.65535.65535" newVersion="1.1.37.0"/>

Now start AS7 again. You might still get the error. Close AS7 and restart it. This rebuilds the cache. The error should now be gone.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Use http://atmel.force.com/support/articles/en_US/Workaround/Installing-Visual-Studio-2015-Update-1-leads-to-Atmel-Studio-no-longer-starting to fix this. We have not validated 1.1.37 yet, so changing it might lead to strangeness

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Last Edited: Wed. Jan 6, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hello,

tried this, but it does not work.

I have

Visual Studio Professional 2015

Version 14.0.25029.00 Update 2 RC

and

Atmel Studio 7 (Version 7.0.634)

All worked well until I installed the VisualStudio Update 2.

Now I can not load any Project anymore.

At AtmelStudio Startup the message

Ausnahme beim Konstruieren des Inhalts dieses Frames. Diese Information wird auch in "C:\Users\Martin Blank.GISMBH\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\14.0\ActivityLog.xml" protokolliert.

Ausnahmedetails:
System.IO.FileLoadException: Die gefundene Manifestdefinition der Assembly stimmt nicht mit dem Assemblyverweis überein. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131040)
   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsShell5.LoadPackageWithContext(Guid& packageGuid, Int32 reason, Guid& context)
   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.GetPackage()
   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

appears in the Error list.

And then when I try loading a Project the following message appears:

Then I click to Ja and the same message appears again.

After this it loads the solution, but not the Project, and when I try to Close the solution it Shows

And this prevents me from closing the application. The only way is using Task Manager.

What can I do? Any idea?

Thank you for all suggestions.

Martin

I just looked into the 2015.2 failure (that I got on my machine as well). I seem to have fixed it by deleting all files in %localappdata%\Atmel\AtmelStudio\7.0\ComponentModelCache (which causes Atmel Studio to rescan all plugins/parts). 

Not completely sure it's a final fix, but you could try and see if it helps :) 

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

MasterJulian: can you post windows version and bitness? I'm having problems with win7 x32 and as7 and atmel programmers.

Imagecraft compiler user

I have the same problem. I installed Visual Studio Express Update 2 today. The trick with dll replacement doesn't work any more. Atmel Studio 7 behaves the same as after Update 1, Is there any cure? Please help because I must work :/

I realize that this might sound like an after-the-fact snide remark, but if both Visual Studio and Atmel Studio is essential to you then do one or more of the following:

- Have different machines for VS and AS - virtual machines might be an option.

-Take disk image backups before updating (Norton Ghost, Clonezilla...) so that you can roll back if needed

- Wait with updates until the risk-takers have and have reported any problems.

Personally I use Clonezilla whenever I have a setup that I do not want to lose or destroy. It has served me well over the years.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Did you try my comment?

Morten - note that this latest is re update 2. In another thread it is stated that the trick that fixes update 1 is not working for update 2.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/v...

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Johan, 6 (or 7) comments up... Fixed my vs2015.2 problem ...

http://www.avrfreaks.net/comment/1845991#comment-1845991

OK. Sorry Morten. Sloppy reading on my part.

Caches are evil... ;-)

I don't have the problem myself. Currently have no Visual Studio installed. (ATM I'm an Eclipse guy... :-)

meolsen wrote:
Did you try my comment?

Sorry, I edited post!!!!! My fault!!!! I replaced DLL and I searched for \7.0\ComponentModelCache in a wrong place :-)

NOW it works !!!!!!

It was located C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Atmel\AtmelStudio\7.0\ComponentModelCache  so in AppData\Local :-)

Thanks guys :-)

Last Edited: Sat. Apr 16, 2016 - 07:31 PM

JohanEkdahl wrote:

Morten - note that this latest is re update 2. In another thread it is stated that the trick that fixes update 1 is not working for update 2.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/v...

Yes it is my post. The trick with DLL replacement does NOT work.

Believe me, its there.

You can also open an administrative command prompt, and run studionstallagent /install from the studio install dir, or simply repair Atmel Studio.

OK OK, ma fault :-) I deleted 4 files inside ComponentModelCache and it worked :-)

I edited my post....

Thank you very much as always :-)