A few NGW100 questions

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have some plans to buy a NGW100. Is it right I only need a (sort of) JTAGICE to 'burn' a new firmware on it and not when i only want to try a program(running on linux)?

Or has someone experience with the ICnova AP7000(grasshoper)?

And is it usable with a USB-RS232 converter? My laptop don't has a rs232 port.

naffets wrote:
I have some plans to buy a NGW100. Is it right I only need a (sort of) JTAGICE to 'burn' a new firmware on it and not when i only want to try a program(running on linux)?
The only thing you need a programmer for is programming the flash if there's nothing there. That is, you can do everything you'll ever need to without a programmer, until something goes wrong. If you botch a u-boot upgrade your board will be bricked until you get a programmer. But don't be too scared, it's fairly hard to brick.
Quote:
Or has someone experience with the ICnova AP7000(grasshoper)?
What kind of experience do you want us to have had ;-)?
Quote:
And is it usable with a USB-RS232 converter? My laptop don't has a rs232 port.
Yep, no worries.

-S.

I have a Grasshopper. Neat little board, though I have not used it for anything quite yet.

The Grasshopper already has a USB/serial converter (SiLabs CP2102) on-board. Take a look at the schematics (Page 5). You will have to change a couple of resistors, so that the USB data pair goes to that chip (and ultimately to AP7000's USART1), instead of to the AP7000's USB pins.

As an alternative, you can find USART1_RX/_TX on the main connector pads, and wire it to a standard header. Then use a LVTTL-level USB/serial converter cable, like:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-3V3.htm

Regards,
Pete

Regards,
Pete
www.mediamatech.com

Ok, nice :D

I found this(http://www.embedded-projects.net/index.php?page_id=135) programmer, it look really nice and it able to act like a JTAGICE MK2. And it is MUCH cheaper.

About the Grasshopper, it's nice it has a USB/serial converter, but do not want to change it ( soldering that board :S). The Base version don't has a sd-card option. Ok, the LCD version has, but it is twice the costs of the Base version or the NGW100.

So, I would say: "Gaan met die banaan" :D