EVK1105 Flash Programming, Getting a Final Answer

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

So i bought this EVK1105 almost 2 weeks ago now.

All i want to do is use AVR32 Studio to create my "released" version of code, and then click the "Run" icon and have it download my code via USB to the DFU boot loader.

This is such a simple thing, you would think there would be much information about how to do this.

I have contacted Atmel support and it been useless.
I asked him, where is the documentation for the kit, his response is "its not out yet" which made me thing to myself, then why are you selling it.

I then ask him, where is the demo source code running on the kit. He tells me its not available for the public yet. Yet i found the link for it here in AVR Freaks (thanks). i then e-mailed him back telling him that, and i get a "Sorry about that" reply.

I also contacted my FAE and i am receiving the same information. In a nut shell i am getting no where and its been 2 weeks. I am !!! NOT !!! willing to spend $600 for the debugger tool for it just to evaluate it. I am also not willing to spend $300 for the AVR JTAG MKII to do the same. That is just CRAZY of Atmel to expect a customer to purchase such expensive tools to evaluate their equipment.

Yet Atmel, includes a boot loader in the uP. One would think they would capitalize on that feature for the kits!

So from my history here at AVR Freaks, which has always helped me out in a jam, i come to again for help in this.

Does anyone know of a step by step guide to use the AVR32 Studio to program the EVK1105 via the boot loader ?

All the UC3 chips follow the same basic methods (only diverging in the case of flash memory & location of peripherals).

I'd suggest finding the DFU instructions for the UC3A and/or UC3B; as either should apply nicely for your situation.

If you have trouble locating them; give a shout and I'll find the link for you.

Elect reputable scientists!

Thanks, i have doe that, but since there is no documentation for the board i dont even know whuch USB port to plug hte cable in. the DFU does not explain how to use it in AVR32 Studio to have it done automatically.

Wish I could help more, played around with the DFU but only from the command line.

Ended up getting a JTAG.

Good luck.

Elect reputable scientists!

The EVK1105 documentation can be found in the latest release of AVR32Studio. There is a full doc of the kit (check the welcome menu).

Quote:

I asked him, where is the documentation for the kit, his response is "its not out yet" which made me thing to myself, then why are you selling it.

You should tell them where the doc is, it might be useful for others :)

To load your code with the bootloader, there is also a user guide into AVR32Studio for bathisp (which is the command line tools for that).

-sma

Note for those who are using the standard makefile for the software framework (use cygwin, go the makefile location, and type "make"), there is nice command to program with the bootloader: "make isp program run"

-sma

ok, with other posts here and this las post from sma. i was finally able to download an elf. file to the board. or so i think anyway.
There is one thing to note, On the EVK1105 you will be using the left USB port (USB USER) to program it.
Then to place it into boot loader mode, you need to connect J16.1 to ground. press the reset button then remove the jumper. at this point you can use the information sma gave for the bathisp.

Now i only need to do one more thing before i get confortable. Find out how to create a "hello world" executible to actually spit somthing out the serial port. Unless i over looked it, i find it strange that on this kit there are not a but load of examples, specifically for the LCD and ethernet.