EVK1100 Jtag ISP??

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Just got the EVK1100, only has a JTAG connector no ISP. So is the only way to program it through JTAG ICE mk-II?

Thanks

Apparently you can program through the AVRISP. It may be like the JTAGICEmkII where the same pins are used for both and it's up to software configuration to decide on which one to use.

-S.

It is not correct. The only way to program AVR32 internal memories (both AP7 and UC3) is to use JTAG. MkII will be required for that.

R

Haakon Skar (director of product marketing, Atmel) wrote:
For debugging we recommend the JTAGICEmkII. For programming you can also use the AVRISP
This was said in relation to the UC3 family only, the AP7 family certainly cannot be programmed with the AVRISP. See Episode 2 of AVRTV for more info.

-S.

The sentence written by Haakon is (perhaps) wrong ?

I don't perfectly know the features of AVRISP, but I assume it is not able to manage JTAG protocol (only SPI-like protocol used on 8 bits AVRs). For sure, I can tell that the only programming interface available UC3 parts is JTAG.
That's why I think AVRISP will not be able to program a UC3 device if it has no JTAG capabilities.

Otherwise, it could be possible that UC3 parts may be delivered with a software Bootloader that handle USB or Ethernet ISP programming, like existing 8 bits USB-AVR parts.

R.

Yeah AVRISP definately cannot do anything jtaggy, true. Haarkon didn't actually write the above, it's a quote from episode 2 of avrtv. That's all I've heard on the matter and am open to the idea that it's incorrect.

A quick eye over some UC3 datasheets doesn't mention any avrisp programming, true. I do know though that the STK600 coming out soon supports both UC3 and AVR8 products and as such, I was kinda assuming the UC3 memory programming options would be similar/same as AVR8.

-S.