EDBG Firmware upgrade failed - Xplained Mini 328P

Go To Last Post
23 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm trying to test out my new Xplained mini 328P by running a little test program to turn the LED on.  The code compiles but when I try to start without debugging 

I'm prompted to upgrade the firmware.  When I try to perform the upgrade I get the below message.

I went through the steps in the below link but that did not resolve the problem.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/new-usb-installer-pipes

Below I've listed version numbers and steps I've taken to resolve the issue.  Please any help will be greatly appreciated.  I want to play with my new toy :-)

Thank you!

First Uninstalled all Atmel programs I could find and rebooted my machine

Then I Installed Version of Atmel Studio 6.2.1563 - Service Pack 2

OS Version: Microsoft NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Platform: Win32NT)

Then I installed driver-atmel-bundle-7.0.712.exe

Installation did not complete.  It actually did a rollback of what it tried to install.

Then I installed driver-atmel-bundle-7.0.666.exe based on the instructions from the below forum:

I did notice it's an older version than what is download from the Atmel Gallery.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/new-usb-installer-pipes

This driver bundle installed successfully but still no luck upgrading mdbg firmware.  Got the same old cycle power message.

I then tried installing driver-atmel-bundle-7.0.712.exe

I got the dialog that asks if I want to repair or uninstall.  I selected Repair, and the installation was successful this time.

I got all excited thinking I got it this time :-)  Nope got the same cycle power message as before.

Tried a reboot of my machine and still no go.

Opened an account with AVRFreaks in hopes of getting a clue :-)

There is a bug in the early version of the mEDBG firmware that causes this. It needs to be upgraded twice without a disconnect between, which the GUI cannot do.

So, in Atmel Studio, go to Tools|Command Line, type in 'atfw -t medbg -a "<studio install dir>\tools\medbg\medbg_fw.zip' and press enter. This will work a bit, then fail. Without doing anything else, issue the command again (arrow up + enter). This time it should succeed .

I'm sure I wrote this down somewhere, but buggered if I can find it just now...

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Hi meolsen,  thanks for getting back to me.  Unfortunately I'm still having trouble. I executed the command and it failed as expected.  When I issue the command a second time it tells me "no tool is found". 

I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the USB after sending the first command and I keep getting the first error "Device not found!"

Thank you for your help

McBotty

Hmh, what if you add a -v 8 to the command (verbose level).

Is this on real hardware or in a virtual machine?

This is on real hardware running Windows 7.  Below is a screen shot of the output of running the command with the -v 8 switch.

I wonder what file doesn't exist.  Is there a missing file in the zip file?

Thanks,

McBotty

It might not like the spaces in the file path. Copy the file to your directory.

You mixed it up, -a <filename> -v 8 (a for archive)

Hi meolsen thank you for correcting my syntax.  Below are screen captures of atfw with verbose output.

Output from executing atfw the first time:

Output from executing atfw the second time:

The firmware in the dbg on the Xplained doesn't seem very happy about being upgraded.  It must really like 1.0 :-)

Thank you

McBotty

Mcbotty, Did you end up getting this problem sorted out? I have the exact same problem, as soon as I try the firmware upgrade windows looks for a driver and then bombs out. Think this is why when you try it the second time no tool is found.

Hmh, the first log is exactly as I would expect given the known re-enumeration bug in the firmware (we call the switch command, and we fail on the boot connect...).

After the first run of atfw, do you see a ATmega32u DFU unit in your device manager? 

Hi Morten, this is what I get. Windows doesn't identify a driver and fails. The device is not shown in the device manager either.

Last Edited: Wed. Jul 1, 2015 - 12:23 PM

And you did use the 7.0.712 driver? http://www.atmel.com/System/Base...

Ah no, I used 7.0.666 (unlucky numbered drive release), I'll install the above and see how it goes.

Updating the driver didn't help unfortunately. I did get this error when I went through device manager and tried to install the driver manually.

Hmmm, I thought I fixed that one...

Try this: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.c... (32 bit) or https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.c... (64 bit)

(this is the inf files shipped with 7.0 Beta. You might need to go in and manually install the driver, as you already tried through the device manager)

Total votes: 1

That worked, thank you very much!

Hmh, will have to release a new driver bundle then.

Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you meolsen I'm all set now as well.  Now I can play with my new toy :-)

FWIW, I had the same problems upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6 from my windows XP Vbox system; after the 32u4 entered "upgrade mode", it didn't show up anywhere in the device manager.

Updating drivers to the latest (...888) version didn't help.

Interestingly (?), my windows-10 system, upgraded with the 888 drivers (and otherwise identical AS6.2 install, but "real hardware" rather than a VM), DID successfully upgrade the FW.

I have same problems(win 10), but whit Xplained Mini D10. Tool on xplained is 1.07 but needs to be updated to 1.0b. When using command prompt way, the first ouput is as it should be, but the the second one gives out: tool not found.

I do think the problem is the one that mcbotty had:

TheDavii wrote:

Mcbotty, Did you end up getting this problem sorted out? I have the exact same problem, as soon as I try the firmware upgrade windows looks for a driver and then bombs out. Think this is why when you try it the second time no tool is found.

Any idea?

When I try to update my ATmega328P Xplained Mini, the terminal prints this message. 

The board then disconnects and shortly after this message comes up.

And if it try to upgrade again, the terminal shows this message.

Can this issue be resolved, what can I do to resolve it ?

Hi!

I have the same problem with my ATmega328P Xplaned mini

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\atbackend>atfw -t medbg -v 8 -a "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\tools\mEDBG\medbg_fw.zip"
07:53:26: [init] Initializing logging subsystem                                                                         
07:53:26: [init] Logging to file: C:\Users\bvict\AppData\Local\Temp\atfw.43b0-ecb3-0a49-5a2a.log                        
07:53:26: [init] Finished initializing logging subsystem                                                                
07:53:26: [cli] Starting execute stage                                                                                  
07:53:26: [cli] Enumerating connected tools and serial numbers:                                                         
07:53:26: [mplabcomm::library] Starting library controll: session=0, list=0                                             
07:53:26: [mplabcomm::library] Unloading access link: list=0, session=0                                                 
07:53:26: [cli] ATML2323040200006986                                                                                    
07:53:28: [cli] No serial number given                                                                                  
07:53:28: [cli] Choosing first serial                                                                                   
07:53:28: [cli] Found                                                                                                   
07:53:28: [cli] medbg                                                                                                   
07:53:28: [cli] :                                                                                                       
07:53:28: [cli] ATML2323040200006986                                                                                    
07:53:28: [cli] Creating upgrader for medbg(ATML2323040200006986)                                                       
07:53:28: [fw] mEDBG (tMAD) firmware upgrade init                                                                       
07:53:28: [cli] Have upgrader, continue                                                                                 
07:53:28: [cli] Start reading firmware from archive C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\tools\mEDBG\medbg_fw.zip    
07:53:28: [fw] Loading firmware archive                                                                                 
07:53:28: [fw] Temporary firmware directory: 'C:\Users\bvict\AppData\Local\Temp\f09c-d649-c3c2-4bd1'                    
07:53:28: [fw] Parsing firmware manifest                                                                                
07:53:28: [cli] Finished reading firmware from archive                                                                  
07:53:28: [cli] Upgrading medbg:ATML2323040200006986                                                                    
07:53:28: [cli] Connect; Application                                                                                    
07:53:28: [cli] Connect; Switch to upgrade mode                                                                         
07:53:28: [pro] HID <<< 9F 10 7C 72 31                                                                                  
07:53:38: [cli] Connect; Upgrade Mode                                                                                   
07:53:38: [cli] GenericError thrown during firmware upgrade                                                             
07:53:38: [cli] Device not found!                                                                                       
07:53:38: [fw] Deleting directory: 'C:\Users\bvict\AppData\Local\Temp\f09c-d649-c3c2-4bd1'