Dragon + STK500 on board debugging please help

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I bought the STK500 + Dragon kit a while ago. For some time I have been using the STK500 with avr studio. I have atmega16 on the STK and i want to try on board debugging using the dragon Jtag. Can someone please tell me how to connect the dragon to the STK so I can debug the atmega16.

I have never used Dragon before, so far I managed to plug it in the usb port and connect to it with avr studio.

thanks in advance

If you have Studio 4 installed you will find user guide to Dragon under "Help" -> "AVR Tools user guide"

At the time the Dragon was surfacing I tested this, and posted pictures, here: https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

It's an ATMega88 on the STK IIRC but the wire-up from the Dragon to the STK should be the same regardless of what AVR you're having on the STK.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Quote:

It's an ATMega88 on the STK IIRC but the wire-up from the Dragon to the STK should be the same regardless of what AVR you're having on the STK.

Unfortunately the OP (I won't call him dummie)has this setup.The M16 does not have debug capabilities but the dragon can do it thru JTAG.
Quote:

I have atmega16 on the STK and i want to try on board debugging using the dragon Jtag.

What I did was make up a little adaptor board that lets the dragon hookup to the socket that the M16 sits in and use the JTAG. I didn't bother with trying for the other 40 pin socket (which would require a few changes).You can also hookup to the expansion ports using a 'squid cable' to make the connections.

Pete

Attachment(s): 

I should read more careful, when i looked at the sported devices, ATMEGA16 seemed to have X everywhere. I kept trying to follow the user guide, then i realized there is no debugWIRE Enable fuse. I looked again at the supported devices page and the X for dW vanished :( . The adapter seems like a very good solution, ill try to make one.

thanks everyone.