DM87S185N 2048 X 4 PROM programming procedure

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all,

I need to program some DM87S185N PROMS for some legacy equipment.  I have plenty of PROMS , but the old legacy code & the PC it ran on has long been lost.   Nothing that an AVR chip can't fix.  However, the data sheet (4 pages) does not give much of a clue to the programming procedure and my old NS databooks have long ago vanished.

I can only assume that the Vcc =9.5V & EN=1, but something must be pulsed & I dont know which & for how long!

Does anyone have a NS PROM Application manual?

Lee

Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin & Murphy are always lurking about!
Lee -.-
Riddle me this...How did the serpent move around before the fall?

Last Edited: Wed. Feb 11, 2015 - 11:54 PM

Have you also lost the programming hardware ?

IIRC Bipolar proms needed multiple precise High voltage 200mA+ supplies, with strict slew rate specs too..

Expect to consume a few Proms learning, but I guess you could burn bits in old ones for early tests ?

My Device Programmer says this

Manufacturer:NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR, Device name:87S185
Package Info.:DIP18, Organization:800h x 8 bit, Adapter name:None, Manufacturer ID.:None, Device ID.:None, Algorithm:Specialized, Vcc pin(s):18, Gnd pin(s):9, Vpp pin:None, Vccp:5.0V, Vpp:10.50V, Tpwp:10Us, Topwp:None

Supported by Programmer(s)
 o TopMax2
 o TopMax

So find, beg, or borrow one of those, and you should be OK to go.

I've not had to program bipolar proms, but my old hilo all-03 probably can do them.

I'm fairly certain those chips had a direct equivalent from Philips/Signetics as their '82S' series. In which case see the last pages of...

http://www.datasheets.pl/integra... for programming instructions and...

http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~ftp/mod... as the chip datasheet which tells you which type of programming to use.

#1 This forum helps those that help themselves

#2 All grounds are not created equal

#3 How have you proved that your chip is running at xxMHz?

#4 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand." - Heater's ex-boss

Last Edited: Thu. Feb 12, 2015 - 07:14 AM

From what i can recall, each manufacturer had their own recipe.

Thanks all!  Yes there seems to have been several manufacturers have a go at these things.

The metal chemistry was quite different in them too.  No wonder each manufacturer wanted to flog

their programmer.

These PROMS are in 70 Mhz. Motorola Syntrx radios and we want to convert them to  52 Mhz.

The motorola programming software won't handle frequencies that low, so these PROMS need

special attention (hacking).

All the PROMS that I am reading and need to write are all National Semiconductors.

DM87S185N  & DM74S571N

Lee 

Lee -.-

LDEVRIES wrote:

Motorola Syntrx radios...

It looks, from the web, that quite a few people convert these to use ordinary EPROMs with a small adaptor board.

#4 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand." - Heater's ex-boss

In fact, these guys seem to be in your neck of the woods...

http://www.radioprogrammers.com/...

Brian Fairchild wrote:

In fact, these guys seem to be in your neck of the woods...

http://www.radioprogrammers.com/contact.html

cheeky if you define "your neck of the woods" as including 3396km...

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Thanks Brian,

Yes there have been some EPROM adapters used for a while because PROMS were  hard to get.  Since then, quite a few PROMS have become available as these radios are not in commercial service anymore and the service depots have ditches their caches of PROMS. (They must have purchased the world supply of them).  So it be comes attractive to utilize PROMS while they are available.   The main catch is that the software wont work at 52 Mhz.   (It works fine at 72, 147 & 439 Mhz)

If utilizing the PROMS becomes to difficult, we will just use the EPROMS for 52mhz & PROMS for the other bands.

Lee 

Lee -.-

Sounds like you need to replace the existing micro with an AVR. A teensy3 board might plug in with minimal mods and a bit of code. Seems someone has done something similar some time ago. Time for an update?

I have actually done that previously with an ATmega8 DIP, but it really needed an additional I/O lines (I was using the /RES line as an IO...grrrrrrr).   However a Arduino miniPro  with the additional I/O's  a 50mm X 75mm board will do the job.

However the KISS idea with PROM's looked attractive, but iin hind sight it may not be KISS to go that way...hi hi!

Lee 

Lee -.-