DIP package for atmega2560?

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey,

I wanted an AVR microcontroller that is DIP and has more than 50 KB flash memory. I'm building a device that requires more flash memory and my atmega328 is insufficient plus i'm not used to using surface mounted ICs, due to their difficulty in soldering, so i was wondering if the atmega2560 came in DIP?

Thank You.

Quote:

i was wondering if the atmega2560 came in DIP?

The information is readily available

- In the ATmega2560 data sheet
- On Atmels web site

I could go to either of those to find it out for you, but how about you having a go at it first and tell us if you fail?

(My hunch is "no" though.)

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

But you can get this http://alvidi.de/avr_xsmodul_ext_en.html or similar boards from several vendors.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not very keen on using development boards. :)
@johanekdahl Yes i did check the datasheet. I'm sorry my question was phrased incorrectly, i meant if there were any ICs similar to atmega2560 that came in DIP. Atmega2560 comes only as surface mount.

After some research i stumbled on this, ATmega644, I think this will suit my needs.

Thanks, anyways. :)

BTW this should belong to the AVR section as the atmega2560 has a AVR core.

The biggest AVR in a DIP package is the ATmega1284P (128k flash)
There is also the ATmega644P (64k flash.)

Quote:
The biggest AVR in a DIP package is the ATmega1284P (128k flash)
There is also the ATmega644P (64k flash.)
Thanks. One question, can i program this chip by using an Arduino Duemilanove, by taking lines from its ISP ?

yes. Use ArduinoISP just like with any other regular AVR that does ISP.

okay. Thanks david. :)

You shouldn't be scared of SMD though! I had never soldered SMD until recently when I decided to use a Atmega644 in SMD (TQFP), no big deal, did it twice and both times it worked straight away!
Just choose the largest available pin pitch!

Of course if you usually work with vero board instead of a custom PCB you are more or less stuck with DIP unless you buy some sort of SMD to DIP converting board.

- Brian