Difference between AT90CAN128/64/32 ?

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

My question is:
In what features do the 128/64/32 CAN devices differ except memory sizes?
Is there any other important difference between them?

I would like to use CAN32 as this is much cheaper than CAN128, and 32k memory is totally enough for our purpose, but until now it wasn't available at our local distributor, so I have used the bigger one.
So ALL MY PROGRAMS are written in ASSEMBLER for the CAN128 device.
Now I don't have the time and the will to search hidden bugs caused by the change, so I rather pay the price if there's any compatibility issue.
(But of course the cheaper would be better)

Thanks for your answers,
Miklos

Total votes: 0

Aside from the memories, the main difference between the 32k and 128k chips will be if you used the rampz register (in a boot loader for example) in the 128k version. Since the AT90CAN32 doesn't use this register (the data sheet said it still exists in the smaller chips), it will probably just be ignored and work as is. According to the data sheet errata, its the AT90CAN64 Rev A that has a unique LPM problem. Up to the AT90CAN128 Rev C and AT90CAN32 Rev A both have the xram stack problem (if you are using external parallel SRAM memory). No matter what anyone/anything says about it could/should work, you will ultimately have to try it yourself in your board and test it to be sure. All bugs are hidden until they become known and get documented :).