DFU bootloader from AVR1916 not functional w/ ATxmega128C3

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The DFU bootloader hex file provided in AVR1916.zip is not functional with the ATxmega128C3 (and possibly other FLASH size variants). I used the file atxmega128c3_104.hex on a board that has been confirmed to work with the ATxmegaXXXa3u (and a3bu) chips (the pinout is basically the same). I tried two different boards. The error is "device not accepting address" under Linux and "USB device not recognized" under Windows. Has anybody been able to get this bootloader to work on the 128C3 (or other C3)? I can upload a blink program that uses an external 16MHz crystal and that works fine. IIRC, I don't think that the Atmel bootloader uses the external crystal anyway. The RC oscillator factory calibration value seems sane.

https://www.mattairtech.com/
ARM Cortex M and XMEGA development boards / Gentoo Linux

I also have this problem. I am using the ATXMega128C3 on my board that has been verified to work with USB communication through virtual com port.
But the DFU bootloader from Atmel atxmega128c3_104.hex makes it show up as unrecognized USB device in Windows 7. I have successfully used the USB bootloader atxmega384c3_104.hex on the ATxmega384C3 Xplained board from Atmel so this leads me to believe the problem is with the bootloader and not my board. I might try to switch the 128C3 on my board with the 384C3 on the Xplained board to determine if it is board related.

I solved my problem! Not board related, so this is on Atmel.
I found out that the bootloader for the ATXMega128A4U can be used on ATXMega128C3 aswell.
The AVR will identify as an ATXMega128A4U and can be flashed from FLIP. The bootloader requires a specific pin to be grounded to start up. In the default case for an A4U AVR this will be PC3 (instead of PE5 on C3).
However the pin grounding requirement can be removed or changed and the VID & PID can be corrected for an ATXMega128C3 by modifying the source code for the A4U bootloader.