DebugWire not working on ATmega328pb?

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have ATmega328pb mini eval board connected with USB to PC running Atmel Studio 7 (7.0.1645).

I can program the part, but debug does not launch.

Debug->Start Debugging and Break

I get the expected "Failed to launch ... Do you want to use SPI to enable the DWEN fuse?"

I say "Yes"

Result:

"Setting debugWire fuse seems to have failed. Check your clock and fuse settings."

BTW this does set the DWEN fuse, and "bricks" the part ("Disable debugWire and Close" is greyed out since debug session never got started, and can't program part because DWEN is set).

But I have learned the atprogram method of clearing DWEN (thanks to this forum).

I have verified 16MHz clock (programmed timer to flash light once per sec from 16MHz clock).

I have verified all fuses are set to the correct values per "AT08401 Getting started with ATmega328pb"

Extended 0xFE

HIGH        0x9F

LOW        0xE0

I noticed that there is a 3.3K pullup on the Reset line on this kit. Changed it to 20k (did not help either way).

I tried several different new USB cables.

Tried starting from fresh project:

File->New->Project->GCC C Static Library Project->ATmega328PB->and just kept the while (1) in main (void).

Does this work for anyone else?

Last Edited: Tue. Nov 28, 2017 - 01:29 AM

This thread is part 2 of this https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/a...

A nice moderator can follow up, once you have, please nuke this post.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Tue. Nov 28, 2017 - 01:16 AM

Let's keep everything in the other thread.

Jim

If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue! - Kartman

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Topic locked