debugWIRE JTAGICEMKII and fuses (ATTINY2313) - More

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Can we clarify some of this? i.e. the actual ability of the JTAGICE MkII regarding programming via debugwire.

When running code in AVR Studio ( using debugwire) - Is the code actually programmed into the AVR Target and run - or is it sitting in the emulator.

Attempting to use the program tools to burn new code results in an error message, yet I was about to reconnect the original AVR Programmer when I noticed that my target was actually running the last code I was using in studio. So I presume that running code actually burns it into the target device.

Can anyone confirm this as correct and sufficient to program the device ( apart from the fuses )

Thanks

The JTAGICE MkII is not emulating ATtiny2313, it is acting as an interface with the On-Chip Debug register that is built into the ATtiny2313.

Your code is being programmed into the chip.

From the AVR Studio help files: (Introduction)

"Note that debugWIRE is a debugging interface only and not a programming interface."

From this, I thought the debugWire i/f was incapable of programming the device. Is this correct or not?

Thanks,
Randy

www.gamatronix.com
motion control made easy

The debugWIRE interface can program the FLASH and EEPROM but only while the AVR Studio debugger is running. This allows you to make changes to your code that will be uploaded while debugging.

The debugWIRE interface cannot be used as STK-500 programmer to program fuses or lockbits. Some other piece of hardware is required to program the parts that have the debugWIRE interface.

In order for the AVR Studio debugger to use debugWIRE, it must program a fuse. TCK, TDO, and TDI are connected to SCK, MISO, and MOSI for this purpose. Then the can be removed while debugging. Once you are done debugging and want to re-enable ISP programming, connect the three wires again and press the leave debugWIRE mode button in the Debug->Option dialog.

Maybe full programming will be a future enhancement since there are wires for ISP programming and just need to be programmed to use them.

The JTAGICE mkII should be able to program parts that have the 4 wire JTAG interface though.