DebugWire with ATMega 164, JTAGICEMKII, and STK500?

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

I am trying to use the DebugWire interface with an ATMega164, JTAGICEmkII, and STK500. I have the JTAGICEmkII 10 pin header connected to the 6 pin adapter. I have this 6 pin adapter plugged into the 6 pin ISP header of the STK500.

I believe I have everything connected correctly because I can read the correct device signature. I have the reset jumper removed from the STK500 and no lock bits set. I disabled the JTAG enable fuse, and enabled the DebugWire fuse. When I go to Debug -> Start Debugging, I get the following pop-ups.

Failed to identify target. Would you like to retry with external reset enabled?
I clicked yes.

Failed to identify target. Would you like to use SPI to enable the JTAG interface fuse? To continue, use the squid cable to attach to the target's SPI pins. If I click yes to this box, it enables the JTAG enable fuse. If I click no, it does nothing.

Does anyone know how to use the debugwire without using JTAG? I want to leave the 6 pin ISP connector plugged in and use the debugwire interface that way. I had no problems doing this on an ATMega48 (although the ATMega48 does not support JTAG, which is what I think is messing things up).

Thanks.

Quote:
I am trying to use the DebugWire interface with an ATMega164
The ATMega164 does NOT have DW. You must use the JTAGICEmkII adaptor connected as shown on the STK500 for JTAG debugging and programming.
Quote:
Does anyone know how to use the debugwire without using JTAG?
I think you are confused. :) They are 2 completely different debugging interfaces. Some chips come with DW some with JTAG some with nothing.

So read up on JTAG debugging and programming in the help files of Studio.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Thanks for the response John.

I guess I was getting confused because the ATMega164 has an OCDEN fuse and a JTAGEN fuse. The ATMega48 only has an OCDEN fuse which was used for debugwire.