debugging STK200 with avrSTUDIO

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

New to this so please forgive me.I can use the isp software to load a program to the at90s8515 on my STK200 board. This uses a dongle attached to my parrellel port. I have been able to create .asm files from avr studio, then load them into the isp software, then program to the chip. I have breifly gone thru using the simulator in avr studio.

What I think I'd like to be able to do is to debug using the STK200 in avrSTUDIO.

I have a strait-thru 9-pin cable going from com2 of my computer to the boards 9-pin connector. Should this enable me to debug in studio using the board? If so, what might I be doing wrong? If not, do I need the ICE200 pod and related hardware? If so, where can I purchase and how much? Do you have any better yet inexpensive solutions? Thank you very much for your assistance.

Total votes: 0

Hi Jim!

If you want to debug in-system, you need the ICE200 or another in-circuit emulator. The least expensive option, though, is to use the simulator already included in the AVR Studio. You won't be in touch with your STK200, but you'll be able to get a lot of bugs with the simulator.

To debug your code using the RS232 port as you described, you'd have to make some monitoring code in your AVR device. This is probably not the option you want to pursue.

Best regards,

Morten, AVR tech. support, Atmel FAE

admin's test signature