db101 purchase from avrfreaks

Go To Last Post
33 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Has anyone who tried to buy the db101 from avrfreaks received any reply?

I sent my e-mail on the 4th and haven't received anything. Or maybe I have. I got a strange e-mail from avrfreaks on the 4th saying "New Private Message has arrived." But I only have one private message and that was sent Sept 23, 2004.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do occasionally get spooky spurious messages from avrfreaks. I ignore them but maybe this one is trying to tell me something.

You're not alone! I asked to order two and haven't received a reply yet either.

Patiently waiting...

I have too many hobbies.
s-conductor.com

No reply to me, but then they were very slow replying on the last workshop too. They need to get Eivind in the loop, then things will get slapped into shape.

(suggestion: free AVR stocking cap to everyone who ordered a db101 and then got stressed by not receiving confirmation)

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

http://www.cbaird.org

I did not receive any mail since I ordered a DB101.
But it was on friday evening when I submittet my order and now we have tuesday morning. I think we need a little bit more patience.

Regards
Sebastian

S-Sohn wrote:
I think we need a little bit more patience.

Regards
Sebastian

Correct. It was the e-mail I got from avrfreaks regarding a private message that caused me to post. Apparently it's spurious and apparently it's just a coincidence that avrfreaks sent it on the same day as I sent an e-mail to them.

Does everyone get such e-mails? Every few months I will get a spurious "Topic Reply Notification" e-mail from avrfreaks. When I check the thread, it hasn't had a reply in a couple of years.

I´ve sent the email ordering two, but I didn´t receive any reply. I´m still waiting...

Felipe Maimon

So....to those who have ordered....

why do you think that a "crippled" unit is worth buying. (Note my use of crippled is not meant to be derogatory...simply stating that it is not "the full two bob".)

Would also be interested in the delivery costs quoted....

Undecided,

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

valusoft wrote:
why do you think that a "crippled" unit is worth buying.
Undecided,

As far as I know, the only thing missing is the backlight. If that's crippled, then so is the Butterfly and my favorite DMM.

The loss of functionality would only be a problem if you were working in the dark. I find myself in that situation only when I forget to pay the electric bill and I'm out of candles. :)

steve17 wrote:
valusoft wrote:
why do you think that a "crippled" unit is worth buying.
Undecided,

As far as I know, the only thing missing is the backlight. If that's crippled, then so is the Butterfly and my favorite DMM.

The loss of functionality would only be a problem if you were working in the dark. I find myself in that situation only when I forget to pay the electric bill and I'm out of candles. :)

Fair comments Steve.

Thanks,

I have both versions, and both are fine. The backlight is nice for reading it in the dark, as well as for notifications. Since it responds to ANSI terminal escape sequences in the Terminal mode, my backlit version has a green backlight for no problems, and changes to red when an error occurs for an easy visual indicator while debugging my MyUSB library.

The non-backlit version is not missing any other features. The firmware's smart; the backlight options will only appear in the configuration screen on the boards which have the backlight present, and when the supply voltage is above 3.5V.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

I also ordered Friday morning with no confirmation yet.

Can you choose the backlight color to be any mix of R G or B? Like wallpaper?

Imagecraft compiler user

The announcement said that the confirmation will be your paypal receipt, and that the unit(s) will be sent as soon as the paypal transaction is made.

Quote:
Would also be interested in the delivery costs quoted....

The announcement says $39 including shipping, not $39 plus shipping. But then, if it was written by a non-native english speaker, they might not realize the difference.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Quote:
The announcement said that the confirmation will be your paypal receipt, and that the unit(s) will be sent as soon as the paypal transaction is made.

Yeah, but there was a lead-in statement as well:
Quote:
A PayPal money request will be sent you, and the units are shipped when your payment is confirmed.

The request is what I (and I assume others) haven't heard back about.

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

Just for your information, guys: I'm trying to find the LCD alone from our supplier, and it seems that there are some problems to find them. No stock. Maybe this LCD is AVR (another vapourware release) right now, and this could be the problem.

Guillem.
"Common sense is the least common of the senses" Anonymous.

It's my fault. I requested two but also one with the backlight. That must have gummed up the cogs.

Quote:
No stock. Maybe this LCD is AVR (another vapourware release) right now, and this could be the problem.

No, the ones that they are selling in this offer are ones that they have on hand.

Regards,
Steve A.

I also ordered two over the weekend and have not yet received a Paypal request.

Jeff Dombach, JLD Systems
"We do the stuff behind the buttons!"
Your source for embedded solutions with a 100% Guarantee.
http://www.jldsystems.com
Phone 717.892.1100

Quote:
Can you choose the backlight color to be any mix of R G or B? Like wallpaper?

The terminal mode only supports the standard ANSI colour escape codes, so you've only got about 8 or so colours to choose from. However, the RGB LEDs are hooked up to PWM channels and you can set any R, G, B and intensity level (0-255 for each) via the config page, or via your own code.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Just a reminder - I have a DB101 review on my blog, as well as high-resolution pictures and quick display videos on my site ("Prouction" folder houses the pictures of the final version including backlight, but is identical to the non-backlit version apart from the screen).

I, to, have not gotten a response to my email stating interest in buying a DB101. Has anyone actually gotten a response yet?

-Tony

nothing until now - an acknowledgemet mail from avrfreaks would have been fine!

Maybe there is more interest than expected, and having problems to satisfy all the people that have ordered?

Just in case you missed it, Eivind just gave an update about the orders here:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Eivind responded to the other DB101 thread saying that everyone will get an answer until friday. In his message, looks like not everyone will get all the units asked...

Felipe Maimon

Quote:
Maybe there is more interest than expected, and having problems to satisfy all the people that have ordered?

The announcement specifically stated that there was a limited quantity. When they are gone, they are gone.

Regards,
Steve A.

That's what I thought, I hope I get mine, have already an application for it in mind… (well I am sure everybody that ordered did too)

The confirmation email just arrived, with the paypal link! I´ve paid it right now.

Felipe Maimon

Yep, arrived here too, and paid it right away too :)

Received my email. Was offered my original requested quantity. Have paid.

let the games begin....

Ross, if you want to send me the $164 FedEx surcharge for shipments to you that you're used to paying, go right ahead. Today only, two for one shipping - no increase because of quantity.

Chuck Baird

zbaird wrote:
Ross, if you want to send me the $164 FedEx surcharge for shipments to you that you're used to paying, go right ahead. Today only, two for one shipping - no increase because of quantity.

Nice try Chuck. But I am not quite as dumb as I may look. Once bitten, forever poisoned :evil:

But if you were to offer to walk down to the Post Office for me, I might consider a suitable bonus :roll:

Cheers,

Quote:
I might consider a suitable bonus

Hmmmm... Kangaroo, Koala, or Emu... hard choice!

But I would be willing to look into shipping something to you if bouncing it once in Washington State saves significant money. I'm not sure it would, but checking doesn't cost anything.

Chuck Baird