DB101 can be ordered from Mouser

Go To Last Post
39 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The ATAVRDB101 can be ordered from Mouser for $83.79 it is now back ordered with est shipping time 10 days. :)

Thanks for the notice!

Must be a new entry. I just checked not long ago and it wasn't there. Maybe the STK600 will show up soon!

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

We just added Atmel a couple months ago. No news yet on when we will get the STK600 but we'll check. Anything else we can add, let me know.

Cool, a Mouser rep here -- Welcome!

Please feel free to cheat (ie, PM me when you notice the STK600 is orderable so I can get my order in first). Oh man, is that bad or what! :twisted: :wink:

Edit: Seriously, though, congratulations on having the DB101 available for sale prior to Digikey. I already placed my order for two DB101's on your site.

Thanks for the feedback and orders. Glad we could help out. Atmel was a great additional to our Semi linecard. Their site doesn't mention the STK600 yet that I could find. I've asked my team to get me whatever they can dig up from their contacts.

I'll repost what we find.

Cheers!
Mike Scott

Thanks, Mike. The last rumor posted on this site was shipping at the end of this month. But, I think that's overly optimistic as the part as not been even annnounced on Atmel's web site. But, maybe there won't be a big gap between press release, posting of parts and specifications, and shipping.

Can't wait for stk600 and xmega :)

Agreed, blader, 2008 should be a great year for Atmel.

Good year for Atmel, and expensive year for us :)

Just hope the stk600 doesn't get to expencive.

Maybe Arrow will sell it at half price, (Hint, Hint!)
JC

ATAVRDB101 on its way from Mouser :D

Cool, I didn't get a shipping notification yet -- but sounds like it will be soon.

Ah, I see it shipped today. Thanks again for the ordering notice, KV9R.

When one of you gets yours, let us know if they changed the ISP and JTAG headers so they aren't so close to the pcb (too close for a connector to easily slide on them). I assume they did, but just to be sure...

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

http://www.cbaird.org

Chuck, I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'll report tomorrow after I get the units.

zbaird wrote:
When one of you gets yours, let us know if they changed the ISP and JTAG headers so they aren't so close to the pcb (too close for a connector to easily slide on them). I assume they did, but just to be sure...
Yes they did add more space. About 1.5mm more space which is very welcome.

Unfortunately, the included battery lasted even a shorter period of time that the prerelease group. I got around 20-25 seconds of use before the voltage went low enough that the display wouldn't function properly. How in the world does Atmel select batteries that reliably last less than 1 minute?

kmr wrote:
Unfortunately, the included battery lasted even a shorter period of time that the prerelease group. I got around 20-25 seconds of use before the voltage went low enough that the display wouldn't function properly. How in the world does Atmel select batteries that reliably last less than 1 minute?

Evidently, there is a higher then predicted failure rate in battery technology.

At work we assemble small radar units for Baseball Bat swing speed, Gulf Club swing speed, Archery (arrow) velocity, Paintball velocity & Baseball velocity - among others. Each type of velocity meter is actually a slightly different design and made for an appropriate case.

Over this past week the parts prep department tested about 10 Thousand 3.0 volt batteries for use in these instruments. All had to measure 3.0 volts or better to make installation into the new assemblies.

More then 30% of that initial 10,000 (3 Thousand) batteries failed testing because they measured below the 3.0 volt specification. I thought this to be a high failure rate, but maybe it is more the norm...

So, maybe Atmel just needs to tighten the specification at their assembly house to ensure that reliable batteries are being shipped with the DB101.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Hi Carl,

30% failure is unacceptable. Is it the battery technology ... or the maker do they think?

Cheers,

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

microcarl wrote:
All had to measure 3.0 volts or better to make installation into the new assemblies.

More then 30% of that initial 10,000 (3 Thousand) batteries failed testing because they measured below the 3.0 volt specification.

Was that voltage measured with a specific current load and did the voltage need to be sustained for longer time than, say, 30 seconds?

valusoft wrote:
Hi Carl,

30% failure is unacceptable. Is it the battery technology ... or the maker do they think?
Cheers,

I really can't say. And, I don't think they really care as, they get to send the batteries that don't meet the specification back for a refund.

I guess that's a good thing... Except the company that I'm working for seems to be unaware that they are actually paying for quality testing that the manufacturer should be doing - without compensation for the time involved.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

kmr wrote:
microcarl wrote:
All had to measure 3.0 volts or better to make installation into the new assemblies.

More then 30% of that initial 10,000 (3 Thousand) batteries failed testing because they measured below the 3.0 volt specification.

Was that voltage measured with a specific current load and did the voltage need to be sustained for longer time than, say, 30 seconds?

The battery voltage is actually measured in a working model that uses nominal current. But, it is simply a quick "Go-No Go " test and only last as long as it takes the Fluke meters to acquire the measurment - which is what, 2 seconds, at most?

Sounds like a very reasonable test setup, Carl -- just a horrible failure rate!!

So Carl, I probably did not ask the question clearly enough ... what technology battery? Lithium or....?

Cheers,

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Quote:
How in the world does Atmel select batteries that reliably last less than 1 minute?

It's not the battery, as I also get that. I put a meter on the current, and sometimes it will be 80mA!!! However with an external power source it's around 3-7 mA depending what it's doing. This makes me thing it's a problem with the switching regulator perhaps at certain voltages. Either that or it's trying to drive the backlight....

So something causes this excessive current draw that kills the battery in no time flat!

Regards,

-Colin

Hi again,

I did some more testing:

If I connect my DB101 to the STK500, and power it through the ISP connector on the DB101, it draws around 80mA up to around 3.5V, then 7mA from 3.5 to 5.5V.

This isn't due to the firmware enabling/disabling the backlight, as this happens if I change the voltage without resetting anything. I also changed the firmware to set the trip point for RGB enable/disable to 3.0V without doing anything.

The weird thing is that if I power the DB101 from the other connectors (SPI/UART/TWI) it does not exhibit this, the current draw is always around 7mA from 3V to 5V.

-Colin

Interesting current report, Colin. I'd assume the differences in current above and below 3.5V is due to the relative difference in efficency of the regulator between voltage boosting and reduction. Are the other voltage supply points you're testing and getting low current draw on the output side of the regulator?

Hi,

Oops... it turns out the ISP connector is on the output side, so the excessive draw is due to the regulator being fed in power :oops: I guess one can't use the STK500 ISP connector, as it is powered!

But there does seem to be this battery problem still...

Sidenote: if you look at the layout of the switching regulator, it seems to use fairly thin traces for layout, including the inductor connection. Plus the power going in goes through a fairly long/thin trace.

-Colin

Quote:

Sidenote: if you look at the layout of the switching regulator, it seems to use fairly thin traces for layout, including the inductor connection. Plus the power going in goes through a fairly long/thin trace.

I just had this little twinge that when you get "good deal" demo/dev boards that they may not have a solid bulletproof underlying design. Lowest bidder? First the Butterfly, then Dragon, now this one. Haven't heard similar on AT90USBKEY, another of the great-value thingies.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Quote:
I guess one can't use the STK500 ISP connector, as it is powered!

Doesn't removing the VTARGET jumper disconnect the power to the ISP header? Of course, if you want to use the STK500 to power the DB101 through one of the other pins, it would make it harder (you would have to take the power from the active side of the VTARGET jump point).

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Quote:
Doesn't removing the VTARGET jumper disconnect the power to the ISP header?

Nope

Attachment(s): 

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

As I >>know<< ('cause I almost always use STK500 for ISP programming during dev) that VTARGET jumper will power my target or not, your assertion was quite interesting, Chuck.

You posted a picture of J200. Look at the last page of the schematics, PRINTED BOARD ASSEMBLY, and find the J200 that you posted. It is next to the '1200 chip--maybe for programming that chip? And there is no header just the 6 holes.

Anyway, the ISP6PIN is J906 and the ISP10PIN is J905. They are found on "Sheet 9 of 9" PROG/ISPT/OSCT and both indicate VTG.

Most times leaving the ISP header attached doesn't bother my app. On a few apps it seems to. I always thought that the SCK/MOSI/MISO float when the STK isn't doing ISP operations, but have never dug into it all the way.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Right you are, Lee, as usual. I should have looked a little closer instead of believing the first smiling face that said "ISP Connector." Sigh...

Chuck Baird

Ahhh... I also checked the schematic and assumed that was the ISP connector when I posted my remark. So thanks Lee!

-Colin

Quote:
I always thought that the SCK/MOSI/MISO float when the STK isn't doing ISP operations, but have never dug into it all the way.

They don't all float - I was bitten by that while also working on the AT45 that was on my (old) STK500. The MISO from the AT45 to the AVR was quite resolutely "stuck" until I removed ISP6PIN

Not related to the DB101, but the reference to the STK600 - anyone by chance got a clue what the price will roughly be. Not specifics just the 200-300, 400-500, etc range.

Enjoy using the STK500 so much, going to have to buy one of those.

Relating to the DB101/mouser, keeping with the thread, I'd prefer the digikey route. Being in Canada and using digikey.ca helps. And the overnight-ish shipping is awesome for the price. Don't get me wrong, mouser.com actually tends to be cheaper by part...so sometimes it's a better buy if the shipping time isn't a priority.

Guess I'll have to take a look at what the DB101 has as features.

rocketman49 wrote:
Not specifics just the 200-300, 400-500, etc range.
I've read on this site both $199 and $599 (obviously, one or both of those numbers is quite wrong). You can do a search and see if you can find other prices rumored.

Just got word that a limited number (20?) of the STK600's are on our dock at Mouser! More are on order. We're working on getting in the add-on modules as well.
Cheers!
Mike

ATSTK600 price @ mouser.com is $199USD