Crash in AVRStudio 4.13 SPK2 with gcc and jtagice mkII

Go To Last Post
24 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Sorry if this is a known fault

I have just upgraded avrgcc to the curent release and installed the new Studio 4.13 SPK 2 patch

All appeared fine when I loaded an old project and opened the programmed dialog for the jtagice mkII it succesfully read the signature.

I then upgraded the firmware in the jtagice mkII and tested the connection again.

I recompiled the app and started debugging.

studio crashed with the following screens

i have tried the following;
- rebooting
- recreating the app from source
- reinstalling both avrstudio and avrgcc
- check path for any old gcc remnants

EDIT
- also tried using the simulator instead of the jtagice mkII same fault

tomorrow night i'll try restoring an old version of studio and see what happens.

any ideas on what to try next?

With Thanks,

Darren

Attachment(s): 

----------------------------------------------------
Those whom the gods wish to destroy
they must first teach to use c

Still trying

have completely deleted old install and re-installed
jtag now seems to lock up after each connect attempt.

near midnight here now i'll have to try again tomorrow.

"bangs head against table and repeats to self never upgrade if it already works"

Darren

dmcinnes wrote:
any ideas on what to try next?
I did all the things you suggested, but AVR Studio (with SP1 and SP2) continued to crash trying to debug with JTAGICEMkII with both JTAG and debugWIRE interfaces. I finally got tired of it and bought IAR and have been happily debugging crash-free since.

I've been using gcc and version 4.13 with the jtag for six months with never a problem! (that wasn't caused by my own stupidity!)

I just hope the upgrade of the firmware in the jtag has not damaged it unrepairably.

Darren

EDIT

I'm taking a break from this problem i'll build a new pc and see if i can replicate the situation.

Having a similar problem in Windows Vista. I've tried creating a new project and copy/pasting the source, with no help.

I then went on to write the code with ImageCraft, compiling there and then using AVR Studio 4.13 Build 528 to burn the .HEX-file to the Atmega169. The programmer I'm using is the same, AVRATJTAGICE_MKII 20070112.

First day with the Butterfly, by the way..and not loving these problems.

-Sale

Sauli Särkkä
Oulunsalo, Finland

Well, I'm glad that it was not just me. Dean has a fresh Vista installation that is debugging fine for him. But, I continue with AVR Studio problems and have nearly completely converted over to IAR debugger because of it.

Update Time!

After striping my development pc and scraping the registry, then re-installing the latest versions I lost the studio crash problem...

...But lost the ability to connect to the host via JTAG
(SPI still worked though) after a few days break i tried using a different platform (Futurlec avr32 board with soldered on JTAG port!) and it worked perfectly.

It would appear that I have bolloxed my stk501's JTAG port.

Aparently the solution to the problem was striping and reinstalling avr studio and gcc.

Darren

EDIT 15-01-08
Sigh... It's decided to work again with JTAG i'm going to try and recreate the fault by restoring my last ghost image, I can't accept that it just decided to work.[/i]

Same problem here, with AVR Studio crashing when trying to debug.
I posted the problem on AVR GCC forum too,
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=58623

~ Lou

I also get the AVRStudio crash with latest AVRStudio and new AVR. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVRStudio with no improvement. Put in prior version of WINAvr and problem went away.

Tiny Vital Systems, LLC
http://www.tinyvital.com
Embedded solutions
-------------
Microsoft Vista needs over 1GB of memory to work. We get our job done in 8KB!

Harvard architectures suck, but what the heck.

jmoore wrote:
...and new AVR.
Just to clarify, you meant new WinAVR?

Yes, the new WinAvr - the one under discussion in this thread.

Going back to WinAVR-20070525 solves the problem.

Tiny Vital Systems, LLC
Embedded solutions
-------------

This is a long shot, but you might see if another version of cygwin1.dll is pointed to by your PATH system variable. I've seen many problems like this where a trivial upgrade seems to cause a broken installation.

Well, I do use cygwin a lot independently of the AVR stuff....

However, the following cleared up the problem (for now, at least)...

I reinstalled the old WinAVR (20070525) and things worked. Then I installed the new one (20071221) and renamed the old one so that it wouldn't be found. Then I ran Studio again and everything seems to work. Project->rebuild-all and debug work. I even tried to use the variable FUSE_MEMORY_SIZE to verify that it is using the new include files.

Go figure.

Tiny Vital Systems, LLC
Embedded solutions
-------------

Allright update time (and yes this will be embarassing)

After restoring my old system image and repeating the remove and restore procedure to verify that it worked

The blasted thing decided not to this time!

I then tried compiling and programming the atmega128/stk501 via isp from the stk500 and all worked as expected (here I forgot to remove the isp cable)

I still could not get it to debug though... until I tried coding a hello world app which debuged perfectly.

Anyway it turns out that the code of the application I was debugging (C-BUS interface) was crashing studio due to the way I was including the other files

Even though the code worked with the previous version of avrgcc

It only worked due to the fact I used different source code to test it each time (breaking my own coding rules)

At this point I was back on track and coding like mad on two projects each of which had developed the same fault, random resets.

I'm sure you can see what had happened here I left the ISP cable attached to the stk501 which shared the serial port lines causing it to reset every time the stk500 bliped the isp lines.

I only realised after using my new logic analyser (Intronix) with the pre-buffer and triggering from a port pin that I toggled in code on reset.

This has taught me some very valuable lessons (at great personal cost)

#1 record all steps in each project

#2 back track if something doesn't work

#3 never change two things at once!

#4 if it can't possibly be wrong it usually is

Darren

Here's what I am getting from AVRStudio as a crash report. I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AVRStudio.exe
Application Version: 4.13.0.528
Application Timestamp: 45e428c5
Fault Module Name: StackHash_d0de
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d0de
Additional Information 2: 4acc0b33b779281df8b3a4993bc869a7
Additional Information 3: 3fbe
Additional Information 4: 5ec6f2ab9a77217bd2cec6e3e490d862

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?...

And yes, I added header and source files in the file tree (or whatever it's called) of the project and that seems to screw things up. No I can't even open the darn project without a total crash. Time to create a new project..

-Sale

Sauli Särkkä
Oulunsalo, Finland

Yup, just made it happen again. I included two files, uart.c and lcd.c as source files and it crashed once more. Thankfully I didn't save, so I should be able to re-open it..nope. Damn. This is sad and frustrating.

-Sale

Sauli Särkkä
Oulunsalo, Finland

Ahh...crap. I even tried to just copy + paste the neede files (uart.c, uart.h, lcd.c and lcd.h) to the project folder and I added the project folder as an include directory, so the compiler and linker would find the necessary files. Next, I took my original Makefile that I used in linux, edited it to suit the current situation (only clock speed had been changed, so I updated that, while leaving everything else intact) and configured AVRStudio to use an external Makefile. When I tried to build, it crashed, once again.

I'm sure that this is NOT supposed to be this darn difficult. Anyone? Atmel? Any news on software updates getting around this problem? I have three simultaneous AVR projects (one Atmega32-based and two Atmega128-based, coming in are a few Atmega8 projects as well) going on right now, so I do have something to work with most of the time. I think it's time to run back to linux..

-Sale

Sauli Särkkä
Oulunsalo, Finland

Have you tried the new beta 4.14 AVR Studio at http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware ?

I'd like to thank kmr for bringing the new version to my attention. Once I got it installed, I've had 0 problems since. In fact, the reason I was up so late last night (about 2:30) was that I had everything I needed to get things done, quickly. I got the interface for our UGV to a stage that we can begin actual field testing.

In the near future we can hopefully ditch the joystick -> laptop -> radio modem -configuration and just deal with the joystick -> embedded interface -> radio modem -configuration. The embedded part of it is the size of the LCD screen and it'll fit on the wrist of the "driver", so it's a little less bulky and consumes just slightly less power than the laptop..

-Sale

Sauli Särkkä
Oulunsalo, Finland

My problem started when I upgraded from old WinAVR to 20071221. AVRStudio works fine up till the point of starting debugging. (downloading as with ISP works fine).

I also solved the problem by changing the paths to avr-gcc and make in AVRStudio project to the prev version.

I submitted the problem to Atmel, but they said that they never heard about the problem before...

AndForSyn,

You didn't actually say which version of Studio you are using - is it the 4.13 mentioned in this thread title?

Sorry, it is AVRStudio 4.13 SP2 Build 571.

Sadly, I was getting a crash problem too.

I have been going great for 6 months with no problems at all. Now all of a sudden, i am getting crashes.

I upgraded to 4.14 in hopes of things getting better.

The crashes are happening during editing, even without any compiling or downloading the crashes happen.

I'll upload crash info the next time it happens

Unless otherwise stated:
uC: ATMega128 or 644P
Compiler: Imagecraft ICCAVR V7.2
Debugger: AVRstudio 4.16
Programmer: Atmel, JTAG MKII
Experience: 20 years of C
Dismal ASM skills

ooh wow, thats really pissing me off.

I think it has something to do with the trackpad. When i go to move the mouse, I get a crash. It appears to be when i try to use the trackpad to scrool left and right (by running my finger along the bottom edge of it). Up and down seem to be fine.

The most annoying part is that lack of an autosave feature.

I guess I'll report a bug.

Unless otherwise stated:
uC: ATMega128 or 644P
Compiler: Imagecraft ICCAVR V7.2
Debugger: AVRstudio 4.16
Programmer: Atmel, JTAG MKII
Experience: 20 years of C
Dismal ASM skills