Could we blindly drop a ATMega168P in place of a ATMega168?

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I would like to know if anyone has this kind of experience.
Both ATMega168P are 20PU. Have you done or would you do this blindly? That is, imagine you have a product running on ATMega168 and find an excellent deal on ATMega168P, but have no way (or time) to do test the product with ATMega168P; the product is not a critical system at all. Would you risk starting production of big quantities of your product with the ATMega168P without any test?

Embedded Dreams
One day, knowledge will replace money.

Quote:

but have no way (or time) to do test the product with ATMega168P;

Quote:

Would you risk starting production of big quantities of your product with the ATMega168P without any test?

Those seem like "a contradiction in terms". Given the "big quantities" there must be a development team of some sort. In the time it took you to post, an order for some chips could have been placed for overnight delivery. The techs can build a few in when they arrive. Everyone is ready to program and test. If needed, it is a 24-hour operation to get them singing.

Expensive? Perhaps. Consider the cost of building the big quantity and finding out your programming system cannot handle it.

Does Atmel have an app note on this migration? [Hint: yes]

Could this be a different feature/die size, causing changes in noise immunity? Certainly. [Is it? I have no idea. Have you sent email to Atmel, or contacted support through channels?] Do you want to risk a "big quantity" not performing the task 'cause of noise problems? I wouldn't.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

The contradictions are because it was a quick story I made up at post-time, 'cause I thought would be easier for me to transmit the key-points this way. Thanks for the Hint, I'm going to check it now, it's an excellent hint :)

Embedded Dreams
One day, knowledge will replace money.