Connecting 5x6 grid of PCBs using rs485

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

As per topic, i'm pondering how to do this in the best way.

Each PCB is supplied in a star topology from a single point, but each also needs a separate logic supply.

Should I use a bus vertically with repeaters for each row. Or is it enough to just serpentine it with logic power across all 30?

The PCBs are 16cm by 16cm, so the serpentined bus would be just over 6m.

Your subject line talks about RS485 but your message seems to talk about power. I am confused. I also do not understand

Quote:
Each PCB is supplied in a star topology from a single point, but each also needs a separate logic supply.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

RS485 and star topology don't mix too well either. May work at low speeds and 6m of cable.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Agree on RS485 and star, if that is what was described.

It will REALLY depend on baud rate. At lower baud rates, you can still get transmission line reflections but they have less impact on the waveform of the data. It samples, after all, at three sample points near the middle of each bit. It ends up looking more like capacitive loading with a bunch of short star branches.

So, a critical question is: what is the needed baud rate?

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

Fair enough, disregard the stuff about power.

I never intended the rs485 to be a star topology. It was more a question of having a bus vertically with a repeaters for each row, versus having a single cable with plugs for every 20cm that connect to every pcb (which would put the number of devices on the bus to 31+).

Because if repeaters are necessary, I'd have to figure out how to make them.

A baud rate of 57600 or 115200 would be fine.