code works with ICE200, but not when removed

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

I have a circuit that works with the ICE200 in place, but when the same code is burned into the 2313 ROM, it is intermittent.

The code takes serial input with a custom baud rate (31250 baud) and outputs the received bytes to a PC using the next higher standard baud rate 38.4Kbaud.

I am testing with an external 2313 that is outputting sequencial numbers at the custom baud rate( 0..1..2- 254..255..0..1) with one tenth of a second between each number sent.

With the ICE200 running, every number gets received correctly and retransmitted to the PC correctly. With the same code burned into the 2313 ROM some sequencial numbers are randomly missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what could be causing differences between the ICE200 and embedded code in ROM?

Thank you,

Hi,

It might be a hardware thing - for example the RESET line on the actualy 2313 might be more sensitive. What sort of hardware do you have around the 2313, how confident are you in it?

Its also possible that there is a bug in the ICE200 that says it works when it doesn't....

-Colin

>Its also possible that there is a bug in the ICE200 that says it works when it doesn't....

NAH. That can't happen:-) By the way Alan are you using Studio 4.08 with your ICE200? Do you have problems most time you reassemble your project (Build and run) where the cursor goes to the instruction pointed to by the reset vector instead of the reset vector itself and the ICE refuses to run? I must be the only person in the world with this annoying problem I guess if not. I have to keep on re-selecting the ICE200 and the chip several times before I can get it to run properly...well untill the next build at least.

With your problem, are you using the ICE with the same target board that you are using the 2313 or is it a different board?

admin's test signature

I'm going to check the reset line. My wire-wrap socket that connects the fragile ICE200 20-pin DIP connector to the circuit-under-test has a 10K resistor connection from VCC to Reset, but I suspect that the target board doesn't.

I use Studio 3.56 or 3.52. I had difficulty getting version 4 to work. I don't know if it was the program, the interface, or just me. But I can get work done with version 3 and that's most important to me now. I would try the latest version 4 but I can't download 28 megabytes with a dial-up connection. I can't imagine why the program has to be so big anyway.
The target board is the same for both the ICE200 and the 2313. I use a wire-wrap socket 20 pin to connect the fragile pins of the ICE connector to the the target board.
I have put this off for several weeks because the purpose of the board was to gather some data and I was able to do that with the ICE200 running the project.

thank you for your reply

">Its also possible that there is a bug in the ICE200 that says it works when it doesn't....

NAH. That can't happen:-)"

I just want to say something in defense of the ICE200. I've never had a project that would work on the ICE and not on the real hardware-- ar least that wasn't my fault. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I'd say the ICE is more robust than not. I'd look at my hardware before the ICE any day.

fwiw, mtcw.

j.

BTW, I am not defending the software; I refuse to upgrade past Studio 3.55 until they force me!

admin's test signature

Alan and John please try to use V4.08 with the ICE200. I have used it for a while now and apart from the problem explained above I haven't had to revert back to V3.56. If we can go back to Atmel with more than 1 person who has the same problem then there is a chance to get it fixed up. I put out a call to ALL ICE200 user (please search archive) to see if anyone else has the same problem as me, but it could be that everyone else is still using V3.xx as I didn't get much response. By the way it can be dowloaded with a dialup modem :-) I have done it 3 times already, it's a pain but it works. I use the ICE200 daily and I'm pretty happy with it... well except for a few nuisances.

admin's test signature