Cheap programmer for ATMEGA1284P

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

ATMEGA1284P finally arrived. I've been trying to connect this programmer http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Down... , but it seems it doesn't work. I've seen JTAG programmers so expensive, but is there any at an accessible price of max $28 which is compatible with both ATMEGA1284P and ATXMEGA128A1?

Foxcat385 wrote:

... but it seems it doesn't work....

It's not listed as being supported.

#1 This forum helps those that help themselves

#2 All grounds are not created equal

#3 How have you proved that your chip is running at xxMHz?

#4 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand." - Heater's ex-boss

but it seems it doesn't work

Tell us more about that.

The ebay device looks a lot like a USBAsp. With avrdude it should happily talk to a 1284 using ISP .

1284's are notoriously sensitive about their clocks - have the fuses ever been changed or will it still be set to the internalRC 8MHz with /8 ?

If you do want a "reliable" programmer then Atmel's cheapest device is the AVRISPmkII but, to be honest, I'd push to get the Atmel-ICE so you get both programming and debugging:

http://www.atmel.com/tools/atatm...

The "PCBA" version is a bare PCB - but it's only just above your target price. Most people would push a little further to get at least the "Basic" one though.

No,  it is not a USBASP.    It is a JTAGICE-1 clone.    It only works with mega16/32/64/128/...   It will never work with AS6.    It does not work with ATmega1284.

I am fairly certain that I have discussed all the points about ISP and/or JTAGICE-1 debuggers.    Probably with Foxcat385 too !!!

If you want to do JTAG debugging,   an ATMEL-ICE or Dragon are reasonable price.   The ATMEL-ICE is miles faster than the Dragon.

David.

Oh my error blush - didn't realise it was a clone of the ancient JTAGICE. Then, as you say, this is of no use whatsoever for 1284 or any modern AVR.

I bought one to see just what it looks like in real life.

It works just fine with AS4 and the 'older' AVR chips.    Most importantly,   it supplies 5V to the target.  So you need nothing more than a target board and the dongle.

And let's face it.   AS4 starts immediately,   does not crash,   edits,  programs and debugs the mega16/32/64/128/162/165/... just fine.

Strangely enough,   it does not seem to work with Rowley Crossworks.    (my ETT JTAGICE-1 clone works perfectly)

If you are an impecunious student in Asia with a secondhand laptop,  this dongle is not a waste of money.    It seems that most of India, Iran, Egypt etc can only obtain the 'older' AVRs.     Of course,   if and when the modern AVRs become available to these countries they would have to abandon AS4 and buy an ATMEL-ICE.

Oh,   it irritates me to connect an external power supply and a debugger to a board.    Especially when you get used to one single USB cable to a XMINI, XPRO, FRDM, NUCLEO, ...

David.

So would a MCU like Atmega328 be programmable with what I have? And is it possible to program ATMEGA1284P with something other than JTAG? I can't believe I'm throwing money on trash.

Can someone please help me with this? What MCU and programmer do I need to run minimum 32kB Flash, 4kB SRAM, 1 PWM, 1 USART, 2 SPI, 1 TWI in a DIP package and at 3.3V?

And what can I possible do with the programmer that I already have? I don't want to throw it away.

You have made 100 posts.

I am pretty sure that I (and others) have explained what you need.

A $3 Chinese USBASP can program Tinys and Megas via ISP.    And most have a 3.3V option.   (link or solder-bridge)

A $12 Arduino can do the ISP programming but requires mods for 3.3V operation.

If you want to do hardware debugging e.g. debugWIRE, PDI, JTAG, then buy an ATMEL-ICE.    I suggest that you buy the BASIC model that has a case and ribbon cable.

David.

And what can I possible do with the programmer that I already have? I don't want to throw it away.

The device you have appears to be a clone of the original JTAGICE from about 14 years ago. Back then the only JTAG models of AVR that existed were:

• ATmega128, ATmega128L, AT90CAN128

• ATmega16, ATmega16L

• ATmega162, ATmega162L, ATmega162V

• ATmega165, ATmega165V

• ATmega169, ATmega169L, ATmega169V

• ATmega32, ATmega32L

• ATmega323, ATmega323L

• ATmega64, ATmega64L

So those are the ones you must pick if you want to use the debugger. A number of those are large package quad flatpacks and quite tricky to use unless already SMD mounted on a PCB. So if you are just looking for a DIP package you can easily plug into a breadboard  I guess the choice is narrowed to mega16, mega32, mega162 or mega323.

There's still a lot of mileage in the mega16 and mega32 - I actually use them regularly.