Can't re-program ATmega8515 - "Got 0xco, expected 0x00"

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Get error: 

Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received:

Got 0xc0, expected 0x00 (Command has failed to execute on the tool)

I have Windows 10 with Atmel Studio 7, Pololu USB AVR Programmer 2.1 and new chip (L version 40 pin DIP while prototyping) on a wire wrap board (will try and include pics).  I successfully programmed and executed one chip with my setup (so figure no wires are crossed) but now can't even read fuses on any of the 5 8515's that came in my minimum order.  Always get the above error message.  This is my first attempt at atmel/microchip but have done many others.  I'm including a pic of the schematic with red traces over the parts I have wired.  I know the power source looks funky; Digital Command Control (DCC) is both the power source and the communication protocol - and worked fine for the one success I got.  My best guess with these symptoms is that I've somehow put Atmel Studio in the wrong state.  I am using the default internal oscillator.  I did successfully raise from 1MHz to 8MHz on the only successful programming (though it worked at both rates).  I might have "bricked" some new chips changing fuses when I couldn't get it to work - but even a new chip with default fuse values doesn't work (and should).  Studio 7 does reliably "connect" to the programmer but get the above error on all but the lowering of the frequency (to less than clock / 4).

Hope someone has ideas - have read and tried other "Got 0xco, expected 0x00" posts but get no joy.

GosubGreg

Attachment(s): 

Total votes: 0

Typical symptoms of

1) no power, or low vcc below BOD fuse setting,

2) no clock, due to incorrect fuse setting, i.e. external clock source, or external xtal selected but none connected,

3) programming connector on backwards

4) ISP speed too fast, must be 1/4 of the clock speed or less

Prove each of these, by measuring the vcc/gnd pins at the pins, and posting fuse settings used.

If fuse is set for external clock source, you can inject a clock (arduinos are great for this) of at least 1MHz into the xtal1 pin and attempt to erase and reprogram default fuse settings.

Note: fuse settings are 1 = unprogrammed, 0 = programmed!!!!

Jim

Click Link: Get Free Stock: Retire early! PM for strategy

share.robinhood.com/jamesc3274
get $5 free gold/silver https://www.onegold.com/join/713...

Last Edited: Fri. Aug 23, 2019 - 08:50 PM