can you suggest me a new project to create?

Go To Last Post
82 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

hi

i am on to make an outstanding design of embedded systems to make an employer impressed with my AVR code vision skills and give me the job opportunity!
can you suggest any thing? it would most preferably contain a USB connection (through FT232 USB/Serial inverter) and a 16bit color LCD display with touch screen, i have already made one which receives data from MATLAB environment at my PC and displays it on the LCD but when it comes to send a whole lot of data (like a picture) some problems occur, i tried to capture an image from my live camera and send it to the atmega32 and through it to display (the tftLCD) but things go wrong with image matrix and data acquisition events, also even with a 20MHz crystal its still very slow, it takes almost 3 second to change colors at all pixels. And a lot more when you consider delays.
also the AVR does not have 32 kbytes of Sram to keep the whole picture.......

anyway, the problems with this one are many, thus i am thinking about making a more simple and fluently working system, like connecting a USB flash disk to AVR and displaying images saved in it on the LCD, do you have any experiences about working with USB flash memories?

Or perhaps you have a better idea of design willing to share?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Another alternative to a new project would be to pick the right processor for the job then continue to implement the existing idea. Get a processor that has amybe 100MHz..200MHz and can directly access a whole framebuffer of RAM (sometimes two helps depending on what you are doing).

I'd look at using a mid range Cortex from LPC as a starter perhaps. If you code in C then 80-90% of what you have done already may be reusable.

Clearly the AVR was the wrong choice in the first place. (something that should have become apparent in the design phase before you moved to implementation).

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Flashy color graphics moving smoothly coming from an 8 bit avr would impress me. Spectrum analyzer? Recognize a couple of words? (this could be a trick where each cmd had an extra syllable like Stop=1 GoFwd=2 TurnRightNow=3 PleaseTurnLeftNow=4) so it would really be a syllable counter, but the pointy haired manager might not catch that, and he might hire you as manager of a bunch of old programmers that have forgotton all their fortran and cobol and jovial and OS360 JCL.

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I'd look at using a mid range Cortex from LPC as a starter perhaps. If you code in C then 80-90% of what you have done already may be reusable.
======================

i know the AVR could not be a really good choice, not even the best for the future considered design, but the idea is to show my skills on AVRs, other microcontrollers can wait for later, right now i need to approve my abilities as an AVR designer.

have you tried to drive a USB flash memory yet?

i need to get some info. about image formats and memory ICs used in flash disks.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

bobgardner wrote:
Flashy color graphics moving smoothly coming from an 8 bit avr would impress me. Spectrum analyzer? Recognize a couple of words? (this could be a trick where each cmd had an extra syllable like Stop=1 GoFwd=2 TurnRightNow=3 PleaseTurnLeftNow=4) so it would really be a syllable counter, but the pointy haired manager might not catch that, and he might hire you as manager of a bunch of old programmers that have forgotton all their fortran and cobol and jovial and OS360 JCL.

==============
indeed, a very good suggestion, placing a menu which allows the user to utilize some simple machine vision algorithms over the picture..... it will be evry impressive.

but first i need to find a memory IC which i can drive it via USB!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Theoretically you can read and save gigabytes to/from an sd card using spi if you are a clever programmer.

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

i know the AVR could not be a really good choice, not even the best for the future considered design, but the idea is to show my skills on AVRs, other microcontrollers can wait for later, right now i need to approve my abilities as an AVR designer.

Then pick a project that reflects more the typical use of an AVR8. Control projects like motor or light control are typical.
Quote:

have you tried to drive a USB flash memory yet?

Again this is something not suited to AVR (with the exception of AT90USB647/1287 which both have OTG). USB memory sticks are a "USB device" so they need to connect to a "USB host" and that's (usually) beyond the capabilities of an AVR8. This is why 95% of the people here who want to attach "intelligent" flash memory to an AVR8 use SD/MMC cards rather than USB memory sticks because the interface to those (well the SPI one anyway) is trivial and can be done even on the lowliest of AVRs.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

yes sir, i already have done a nice motor control project with a mega16, it stimulates a small DC motor without encoder, it has a smooth graphic control panel, also PID compensator has been placed in its program, when you press the stop buttun or decrease/increase the speed or even change the direction it takes no delays for the commands to be executed.

about the USB flash hosting i found out if its almost impossible to implement a host driver on a common AVR, but you can use VNC1L host driver -or similar- instead of FT232, their functions are basically same from the designer's point of view, you just need to read-write on your USART module!

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

, but you can use VNC1L host driver -or similar-

But why would you do that? What's the advantage of using expensive USB memory sticks with expensive Vincuulum interface chips when you can just wire an SD/MMC socket direct to the AVR. Most users are just as happy carrying data around on SD/MMC as they are using USB memory sticks.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

but i said that i need to prove my skills at this one.

alright i will consider that too, but i know many people have done that before.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

How about a digital oscilloscope ? Ability to store/retrieve waveforms, perform math functions on waveforms.

Remote data acquisition system ? Trigger on programmable event, or advanced triggering on several event factors, programmable pre-trigger, store event data, time stamp.

Old Arcade style video game (Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Asteroids, etc). Store scores, names, etc

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Allow me to suggest subtitle sunglasses. You know when you go to a movie that is from a foreign country and is a foreign language, the audio dialog is usually unchanged but there is a white line of text near the bottom of the screen? Well, I would like to have a pair of glasses that do the same thing when I'm talking with people who don't speak English. They could speak in their own language and the AVR that is built into the handles of the glasses will do a speech-to-text conversion, a language translation, and a 'heads-up' type of display on the bottom rim of the glasses. It would all be powered by movement of the user's head.
I'm not sure which AVR would have the flash and static RAM needed to handle such an application, but it would sure be impressive enough to get a real job!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Is this (prospective?) employer biased to AVRs? If the need is embedded systems/microprocessors, think more broadly. Show skills in the C language and a couple of assembly language. And probably skills in ARM Cortex.

A deep dive solely into an AVR is probably not going to distinguish you from the frey.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Bit bang HDMI!

Brad

I Like to Build Stuff : http://www.AtomicZombie.com

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

gahelton wrote:
How about a digital oscilloscope ? Ability to store/retrieve waveforms, perform math functions on waveforms.

Remote data acquisition system ? Trigger on programmable event, or advanced triggering on several event factors, programmable pre-trigger, store event data, time stamp.

Old Arcade style video game (Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Asteroids, etc). Store scores, names, etc

yes thats also a good idea, i already have made a simple oscilloscope with these stuff but its practical ferequency limit is up to less than 1000 Hz, so it cant be a very desirable one.

it appears if these AVRs are getting too old and lazy, people all recommend for ARM9 series, but i am not sure if i can afford learning it now, the time is limited and i have heard if these ARMs are much more complicated....

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Simonetta wrote:
Allow me to suggest subtitle sunglasses. You know when you go to a movie that is from a foreign country and is a foreign language, the audio dialog is usually unchanged but there is a white line of text near the bottom of the screen? Well, I would like to have a pair of glasses that do the same thing when I'm talking with people who don't speak English. They could speak in their own language and the AVR that is built into the handles of the glasses will do a speech-to-text conversion, a language translation, and a 'heads-up' type of display on the bottom rim of the glasses. It would all be powered by movement of the user's head.
I'm not sure which AVR would have the flash and static RAM needed to handle such an application, but it would sure be impressive enough to get a real job!

are we drinking too much honey?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

stevech wrote:
Is this (prospective?) employer biased to AVRs? If the need is embedded systems/microprocessors, think more broadly. Show skills in the C language and a couple of assembly language. And probably skills in ARM Cortex.

A deep dive solely into an AVR is probably not going to distinguish you from the frey.

yes most of these employers around are such, they just make simple designs, very few are interested on more capable controllers.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Frankly speaking: I wouldn't be impressed by all that fancy stuff at all.

I would be impressed if you could write code for something and reuse that same code for 90% to do something completely different. And if that code is tiny and fast. I don't care what it does, I only care how it's written and what your problem solving skills are.

Doing fancy stuff is easy. Doing fancy stuff in an ultra efficient way (efficient in multiple ways such as size, speed, robustness, adaptableness, reusability, speed of writing,...) is the real challenge.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Agree, evidence that you follow a structured, methodical design approach followed by code with good structure and copious documentation showing that you can write easily maintainable code is what a prospective employer would be most impressed by. (see anything written by Dean Camera as a good example of this)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

yes you are right people, i must some how prove my creative talents and problem solving ideas, but i think a MMC reader+nice menu on colored LCD_touch screen+ sound play and image display capabilities+ some simple machine vision alghoritms will do fine for these goals, also a very useful practice for me!

@clawson: you are right sir, i should beter start with an easier Memory like MMCs, USB host drivers are expensive and wont do a lot on proving my abilities.

====
does any one here has a tested MMC card function liberary?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Fatfs.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
Fatfs.

what?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

FatFS. Are ya deaf man. :wink:

http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00ind...

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You wrote:

does any one here has a tested MMC card function liberary?

I wrote:

Fatfs.

Is Google not working for you then? As Larry linked to this is perhaps the foremost library for using SD/MMC on small micros such as AVR, PIC and ARM.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I think he needs c source, not an object library to link with. Or are the meaning of the words transmogrifying before our eyes?

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

I think he needs c source, not an object library to link with.

FatFs is supplied as C source?? (it has to be because you configure how you want to use it by editing ffconf.h then rebuilding the code and certain parts are then in/excluded).

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

ok, a weak ago i finished making up a primary design, now my embedded sys. reads images from MMC and displays them at a tftlcd, it also recieves codes from PC through USB connection.
but i dont know what to do for next stage, how about if it recieves a number from PC and dials it to a phone line and then play a recorded message for it, or perhaps extract the phone number written on an image and doing the same?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

i deleted this part so people may concentrate on the main idea.
=======

how ever the Fatfs liberary was much more complicated than common liberaries i had used, now i feel i understand more about C, and the functions became pretty easy to use after i utilized them in my program.... practice is the best thing after you made a thorough study!

Last Edited: Wed. Jun 27, 2012 - 04:44 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

To a c programmer, a library is a file with a .a extension full of compiled object code that the linker looks in to find functions declared external in the c program. Evidently, library has also now morphed into meaning a collection of related c functions and header files that can be compiled into a project to perform a function. The concept of reusable object modules gave us turbo pascal units, ada packages, and I guess microsoft dlls, but not much for c.

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

does it mean all you need to get rude on me?

Can you identify who you think is rude here and why? I trust you don't mean my comment about googling? That's hardly rude (certainly not intended that way) but I was simply saying I gave you a keyword to use as a search term and I would kind of expect someone to then pick up the ball and run with it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

FAT means File Access Table (invented by microsoft) and FS means File system (invented by ??). Since both of these are Sort Of terms used by computer users, perhaps we AVRfreaks just assumed that an embedded microcontroller programmer that wants to write a file on his pc to his micro sd card, then transfer it to his microcontroller might want both the file system and the file attribute table to be pc compatible. That Chan fellow is just a gungho programmer that got it all going in c then gave away the c files to help mankind. I'd like to know how he pays his mortgage. Places that sell the c source to file systems either want a bunch up front, or a piece of every one you sell.

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You have not said what the potential employer does or makes!

If widgets then a widget tester or emulator will show your interest in widgets. A creative implementation might be a plus but is not that important. Be ready to describe how you could extend it to the awesome green widgets and (winking) the blue widgets that are probably under current R&D.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hook a telescope up to a stepper motor and track Niburu

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Make an rf joystick controlled electric lawnmower?

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Cure cancer with an AVR?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

A resume' that says "I creatively applied someone else's work (FATFS)" is a big negative.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I guess that porting the WOZ machine to an AVR chip would be a negative too. Darn.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

When I brought a demo to a job interview, it was an H bridge controlling a DC motor with a potentiometer to set forward or reverse and speeds. It was part of a RC car I was making from scratch at the time, my dog had eaten it the day before the interview. So I had this chewed up thing that barely worked, it failed almost instantly into the demonstration. I got the job anyways =) I recently built a reflective distance sensor for my company using a flashing IRLED and a NPN transistor powered by a Mega88. It worked lousy also lol. I got an interview with Siemens and brought the device as a demo. Hardly worked at all in their lighting conditions. Just got the job offer to work for them anyways so go figure....

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
Quote:

does it mean all you need to get rude on me?

Can you identify who you think is rude here and why? I trust you don't mean my comment about googling? That's hardly rude (certainly not intended that way) but I was simply saying I gave you a keyword to use as a search term and I would kind of expect someone to then pick up the ball and run with it.

ofcourse i googled it, i said it about the others, i said it about the other comments which had been made here and i did nto see them until yesterday, people were ANALYZING my last comment for a while....man....

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

stevech wrote:
A resume' that says "I creatively applied someone else's work (FATFS)" is a big negative.

ok how about this, "i wasted two months writing new functions of my own just because i hate coperating"... guess they will just kick me out then.

with this logic you should use only assembly codes, or perhaps making some domestic microcontrollers!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

smkipus wrote:
When I brought a demo to a job interview, it was an H bridge controlling a DC motor with a potentiometer to set forward or reverse and speeds. It was part of a RC car I was making from scratch at the time, my dog had eaten it the day before the interview. So I had this chewed up thing that barely worked, it failed almost instantly into the demonstration. I got the job anyways =) I recently built a reflective distance sensor for my company using a flashing IRLED and a NPN transistor powered by a Mega88. It worked lousy also lol. I got an interview with Siemens and brought the device as a demo. Hardly worked at all in their lighting conditions. Just got the job offer to work for them anyways so go figure....

so that is why every one wants to get his butt into US, its so easy to get a job there, here in the country i dont want to name its very hard to get a position and they even wont pay you much more than your common expenses...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

any suggestions for my next step?? shall it recieve the phone number via USB or analyze a previously stored number on an image and extract it?

or perhaps i should use the touch pad, the user will draw...nah that will be too hard to recognize hand writings..... any ideas?
i know i want a number to be dialed and a message played for the phone line, but where the number should come from?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

whiteman7777 wrote:
stevech wrote:
A resume' that says "I creatively applied someone else's work (FATFS)" is a big negative.

ok how about this, "i wasted two months writing new functions of my own just because i hate coperating"... guess they will just kick me out then.

with this logic you should use only assembly codes, or perhaps making some domestic microcontrollers!


Please do not get frustrated, we are here to help. What is it that you would like us to tell you. We can give, and have given, you ideas. In the end though, it is your project and you are the one that has to do it.
whiteman7777 wrote:
...now i feel i understand more about C, and the functions became pretty easy to use after i utilized them in my program.... practice is the best thing after you made a thorough study!

Look at some of the recent advances in technology and think about how one of them could be used in a slightly different way. Then do a thorough study of how to implement that. That will give you your own answer to "a new project to create".

I saw that you posted while I was typing this and I don't have an answer for that post.

Good luck.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Out of curiosity, where are you from Whiteman

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

i really prefer not to mention this hellhole's name, i am afraid if people around here get really shocked and stop responding me.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

my name "whiteman" is only about my personal ethnics, it does not mean if i am one those brotherhood members or such, since white ethnics are rare in this country and could only be found among our ethnic minority i chosed this nickname years ago for my internet activity.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Come to America, we need more immigrants!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

whiteman7777 wrote:
any suggestions for my next step?? shall it recieve the phone number via USB or analyze a previously stored number on an image and extract it?

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think the reason some people are responding like they are is that you are asking a very broad question that you are the best positioned to answer for yourself.

There is a whole Projects section here that has a whole range of projects and as someone else said would give you a great starting point or ideas to customize for your particular employer's interests.

But the one thing an employer might be afraid of if they were to see this entire conversation is that you keep asking others to supply the ideas and for validation.

It's not enough to just be able to work with these devices unless your employer will only be dropping predefined projects in your lap. You also need to be able to look beyond a problem and extend it, customize it, change it, and make it work in your environment.

To me that is very important. If you are the expert in microcontrollers where you work, you need to be able to anticipate problems, see opportunities, and interpret those in the limitations/features of whatever microcontrollers you are using. Even better, you need to be able to tell where one microcontroller will be better for a task than another.

It's the imagination and resourcefulness bit that you seem to be lacking. You can be an ace with AVRs but without the other part, you will always have to have someone else calling the shots for you and always being your boss telling you what to do.

My advice - which you certainly have not asked for - would be to find a new project for yourself and by yourself and then figure out how best to implement it. If you can't do that then when/if you get this position you are trying for, you will be in over your head.

Please note - this post may not present all information available on a subject.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

bobgardner wrote:
FAT means File Access Table (invented by microsoft) and FS means File system (invented by ??). Since both of these are Sort Of terms used by computer users, perhaps we AVRfreaks just assumed that an embedded microcontroller programmer that wants to write a file on his pc to his micro sd card, then transfer it to his microcontroller might want both the file system and the file attribute table to be pc compatible. That Chan fellow is just a gungho programmer that got it all going in c then gave away the c files to help mankind. I'd like to know how he pays his mortgage. Places that sell the c source to file systems either want a bunch up front, or a piece of every one you sell.

I thought it was File Allocation Table.

Four legs good, two legs bad, three legs stable.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

whiteman7777 wrote:
stevech wrote:
A resume' that says "I creatively applied someone else's work (FATFS)" is a big negative.

ok how about this, "i wasted two months writing new functions of my own just because i hate coperating"... guess they will just kick me out then.

with this logic you should use only assembly codes, or perhaps making some domestic microcontrollers!

I completely follow you in that. If someone would do an interview with me with his self made code my first question would be: "why on earth did you try to reinvent the wheel?".

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

JB: you are of course correct about the FAT acronym. Whiteman: I think project managers are looking for engineers/programmers that can execute. He needs to get a widget built. He doesnt want to staff up with a new hw guy right out of school that cant run the pc layout sw, and he doesnt want a new sw guy right out of school that cant run the compiler and doesnt know this processor yet. He wants a guy that can sit down and type in a program that compiles and runs. Show him your project that works. That proves that you can edit compile burn and run a program at least. That's about 80% up the curve I think.

Imagecraft compiler user

Pages