Can the STK200 / STK200+ program and use the ATtiny or ATmeg

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

I have just started using the AVR MCU's. I am working on some robotics projects, and have found
the AVR to be the best choice for my needs. I decided to use the 8515 for a number of the projects,
so I went and bought a kandra STK200+ programmer (great price at USD $59). I am using Linux
and the OpenSource programming software for my development. I'm still reviewing AVR1,
PonyProg and uisp to determine which one I will use.

Now I find myself looking at the ATtiny15L for a solar power control system. Based on what I have
read in both the documentation (one area that REALLY needs inprovement), and online the STK200+
can't program the ATtiny or ATmega series parts.

My question is why?

I have looked at the datasheets for the ATtiny11/12/15/22's and the ATmega161/163, and
can't find any significant differences in operation from the AT90LS2323, AT90LS2343 or
AT90S8515. I can't find any limitations with the ISP cable. I am still looking over the STK200's
schematics, but I have not found anything so far.

From what I can tell, the STK200 and STK200+ should be able to program and use both the
ATtiny and ATmega series of parts. What am I missing?

Doug

admin's test signature

Total votes: 0

Hi Doug,

The STK500 supports *all* AVRs (with the current exception of ATmega103(L) due to package size). The cost is about 20$ above the STK200, and the STK500 software doesn't have the problems with WinNT/2k that the AVR ISP software does.

Best regards,

Morten, AVR tech. support, Atmel FAE

admin's test signature