Can AVR Studio use the Xmega AVR911 bootloader?

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I can't get it to work and I assume Studio doesn't support the Xmega bootloader. Why is that? It supports at least two bootloaders for the Mega. Maybe there is a way and I just haven't found the right button to push.

This is not a big deal because I can use avrdude. I like avrdude but it's always good to have an alternate method in case of trouble.

Not that I'm aware of. Have you tried using OSP2?

Mike

Thanks for reminding me. I don't know about OSP2 but avrosp.exe is included in the code that accompanies appnote 1605. It's goofy and clumsy but once I figured it out I was able to read the signature and the eeprom from my Xmega via the bootloader. I didn't try to reprogram the chip but I assume that works also.

Osp2 is my modified version of the original osp. Along the way I fixed many bugs that were in the original. I don't have any xmega's to test it though.

Mike

Attachment(s): 

Hi Mike, I guess I should update now, I have .547??

I have the Xplain board but no bootloader I think (zapped it in 1st use :) )

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

CirMicro wrote:
Osp2 is my modified version of the original osp. Along the way I fixed many bugs that were in the original. I don't have any xmega's to test it though.
Mike
I wonder why someone without an Xmega would work on an Xmega bootloader, but I'm not sure I want to ask. ;)

I'm downloading it now and will take a look at it.

steve17 wrote:
I wonder why someone without an Xmega would work on an Xmega bootloader, but I'm not sure I want to ask. Wink

I'm downloading it now and will take a look at it.

lol...It wasn't specifically for the xmega's but since the bootloader is suppose to be avr911 comp. I'm thinking it should work. :-)

Thanks

js wrote:
I guess I should update now, I have .547??

I have the Xplain board but no bootloader I think (zapped it in 1st use Smile )

No real major changes. The biggest was increasing the number of devices allowed. I think there are 176 now and the limit was set at 128. I bumped it up to 256.

Hey thanks CirMicro. It's a GUI. It works. I haven't tried programming, but maybe I will. I can read just about everything including fuses, etc. It doesn't cause the bootloader to jump to the app. That's good, at least for testing. I was getting tired of unplugging the USB cable to cycle power after each command which I had to do with avrosp. So who needs AVR Studio? ;)

Cool! That was the original motivation was to add a GUI.
I've had it on esnips for some time but I've really been slacking on keeping things updated.

js wrote:

I have the Xplain board but no bootloader I think (zapped it in 1st use :) )
I guess you did although I'm not sure how the Xmega works. For all I know JTAG can load an app without erasing the bootloader.

I used damien's bootloader I found here:
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

I think I found a bug in the way it sets up the pushbutton switch, but nobody else seems to notice. I posted it in the last page of the thread.

I guess most people use the USB connection on the Xplain to connect to a PC. I connect the Xmega D1 usart directly to the PC, via a level shifter. I also cranked up the speed to 115200 baud.

I tested Osp2 some more. I programmed the flash and I also read the flash. It looks like a winner.

It seems this bootloader and Osp2 can do almost everything. Maybe the next generation AVR will have a bootloader that can debug the app too. Then we can get rid of PDI and JTAG. ;)

Thanks for the feedback Steve, that's good to know. I guess one of the serial port debugging schemes could be used :)