Bulidroot issues

Go To Last Post
23 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

As always I need some help ;) I have been working on bulidroot over the weekend and I have ran into a new problem:

);
checking build system type... i386-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `avr32-linux': machine `avr32' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/bash config/config.sub avr32-linux failed
make: *** [/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/argus-3.0.0.rc.34/.configured] Error 1

It seems to me that it might be config.sub however I am not sure if this is the case. And I do not know how to update the config.sub.

Any help would be just great!

Thanks!

-Altrez

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You're indeed right :)

The way to fix this is to tell Buildroot to update config.sub before trying to compile. This is done by adding a line like $(CONFIG_UPDATE) $(ARGUS_DIR)/config (as argus keeps it's config.sub in the config subdir) to the makefile stub.

Attached is a new argus.mk which you can use to replace package/argus/argus.mk and all should fly :)

-S.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I posted some updates/patches on the avr32-buildroot ML ... look the archives for dec 2007 !

Jan-Simon

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

squidgit,

Thank you! As always you are a great help ;) where do I find the attachment?

dl9pf,

Are the archives on the main bulidroot site?

Thank you both!

And happy new year!

-Altrez

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Ok I am having even more problems with bulidroot. I just don't understand what is going on.

I downloaded the buildroot tarball.
fallowed the directions.
And it still keeps crashing.

Do I need to install a diffrent flavor of linux? I am running Ubuntu 7.10. I know this should not be this hard ;)

32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/include -msoft-float -I. -g -O2 -c localcharset.c
/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/bin/avr32-linux-uclibc-gcc -Os -pipe -I/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/include -msoft-float -I. -g -O2 -c mbchar.c
In file included from mbchar.h:157,
from mbchar.c:22:
./wchar.h:41:12: error: empty filename in #include
In file included from mbchar.c:22:
mbchar.h:242: error: expected ')' before 'wc'
make[3]: *** [mbchar.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9/lib'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9'
make: *** [/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9/src/vdir] Error 2
altrez@altrez-desktop:~/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0$

Any help would be great!

-Altrez

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I am using ubuntu 7.1.0 as well. Turns out I had to update several packages to get the build scripts to work correctly.

The short version: If you had updated autoconf and any of the libraries, I would suggest deleting your build-root directory, and reinstalling it clean.

The long version:

I had a few problems during the original build commands. I think it turns out if the build croaks in the middle of the configuration section, there are times when it doesn't recover very nicely.

I ended up reinstalling the build-root package completely after I had managed to get all of the appropriate updates, such as autoconf, several libary files, etc. To be honest, I had to reinstall three times in total. The build failures were often associated with something hundreds of lines back in the build error logs.

Some of the build configuration errors are difficult to spot as they are in the middle of the log file, and some don't cause the build to stop, they just issue warnings.

Thats what I did.
Kevin

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Altrez wrote:
Thank you! As always you are a great help ;) where do I find the attachment?
Grr, I swear I attached it. Shall try again, sry :oops:. I probably didn't notice that 'freaks had rejected it based on it's extension. I've now stuck a .txt extension on the end, just remove that before use.

btw, I have just put argus up on my package repo. If you haven't yet seen it;
Announcement: https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...
Homepage: http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...

-S.

Attachment(s): 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

My understanding is that the tool chain supports only Ubuntu 6.04 and 6.10 at the moment, so that's why I stayed away from Ubuntu 7.

On 6.10, if you follow the instructions that Atmel provides in the new application note for buildroot, it seems to work.

Although I am a little bit confused by the fact that the default configuration seems to compile Qtopia4 and yet I can't find an executable related to that in the generated file system.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

RayKAvr wrote:
My understanding is that the tool chain supports only Ubuntu 6.04 and 6.10 at the moment, so that's why I stayed away from Ubuntu 7.
Nah, you should be able to put those .debs on pretty much any Ubuntu. I was using the 6.04 debs on a 7.10 system for a while, they seemed to be just fine. I don't know what caused them to start releasing a 6.10 set as well (especially as they did at more than a year after 6.10 was released!) but putting them on a newer Ubuntu system is certainly worth a shot.
RayKAvr wrote:
Although I am a little bit confused by the fact that the default configuration seems to compile Qtopia4 and yet I can't find an executable related to that in the generated file system.
It should all be there, for instructions how to actually make it fly, you can see the qtopia tutorials: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/tut...

-S.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

squidgit,

I am getting this odd error with ipkg:

# ipkg update
--14:52:02-- http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...
=> `//tmp/ipkg/repo'
Resolving www.niasdigital.com... 61.14.187.155
Connecting to www.niasdigital.com|61.14.187.155|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize... [following]
--14:52:02-- http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...
=> `//tmp/ipkg/index.html'
Connecting to www.niasdigital.com|61.14.187.155|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

[ <=> ] 6,556 27.41K/s

14:52:03 (27.40 KB/s) - `//tmp/ipkg/index.html' saved [6556]

Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/at32ipkg

# ipkg list
ERROR: File not found: /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/at32ipkg
You probably want to run `ipkg update'
#

# cd /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/
# ls
# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 2 14:44 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 2 14:48 ..
#

# pwd
/usr/lib/ipkg/lists
# ipkg update
--14:56:06-- http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...
=> `//tmp/ipkg/repo'
Resolving www.niasdigital.com... 61.14.187.155
Connecting to www.niasdigital.com|61.14.187.155|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize... [following]
--14:56:07-- http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...
=> `//tmp/ipkg/index.html'
Connecting to www.niasdigital.com|61.14.187.155|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

[ <=> ] 6,556 27.40K/s

14:56:07 (27.34 KB/s) - `//tmp/ipkg/index.html' saved [6556]

Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/at32ipkg
# ipkg list
ERROR: File not found: /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/at32ipkg
You probably want to run `ipkg update'
#

:D

I know I am getting close ;)

Thank you.

-Altrez

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

One more quick question. Any plans to add openvpn / openswan to the repo? I have been working on compileing bulidroot to add them to my ngw, but as you can tell I havent had much luck with that either ;)

Thank you for all the hardwork!

-Altrez

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Squidgit, as always thanks so much for your clarifications. I'll try the latest Ubuntu and hopefully the current release of buildroot will be able to handle it.

Regarding Qtopia I had expected to find the Qtdemo executable but perhaps the default configuration doesn't select that option.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Altrez wrote:
squidgit,

I am getting this odd error with ipkg:

# ipkg update
--14:52:02-- http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...
=> `//tmp/ipkg/repo'
Resolving www.niasdigital.com... 61.14.187.155
Connecting to www.niasdigital.com|61.14.187.155|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize... [following]
--14:52:02-- http://www.niasdigital.com/bnize...
=> `//tmp/ipkg/index.html'
Connecting to www.niasdigital.com|61.14.187.155|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

[ <=> ] 6,556 27.41K/s

14:52:03 (27.40 KB/s) - `//tmp/ipkg/index.html' saved [6556]

Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/at32ipkg

Grr, somehow the ipkg.conf on my site got whitespace corrupted. Please download the new one I just put there and sorry for the inconvenience :)

You will probably also now have a /Packages directory in the root of your filesystem, you should remove that :)

-S.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Altrez wrote:
One more quick question. Any plans to add openvpn / openswan to the repo? I have been working on compileing bulidroot to add them to my ngw, but as you can tell I havent had much luck with that either ;)

Thank you for all the hardwork!

-Altrez

Sure, why not. I'm booked up the next few days but I'll have a crack over the weekend :)

-S.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

That was the problem ;) it now works just fine. On your website you list the openWRT repo, You might want to try this one:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kam...

It has more an seems to work alot better with the ngw100. I have been running iptraf for over 2 hours from the openWRT repo above.

Thank you for all the hard work it really is a god send.

-Altrez

P.S argus works great ty =)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks for the tip, have added that repo to the ipkg.conf on my site. It doesn't contain any base file gumph so the whole repo can be added, save me some maintenance effort. Huzzah!

-S.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Your welcome :)I have been playing with some of the software from the repo's,
It really is impressive what all you can run with the new ipkg system you added ;)It really was needed for the avr32 bulidroot =)

Thank you !!!!!!!!!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

The main buildroot trunk at http://buildroot.uclibc.org/ has
evolved since the snapshot used by the Atmel buildroot.
It contains packages like openvpn which is not present in the Atmel buildroot.

It is fairly easy to copy the directory from the main trunk
to packages/openvpn in the Atmel trunk.
You alco have to add an entry in packages/Config.in

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Altrez wrote:
Ok I am having even more problems with bulidroot. I just don't understand what is going on.

I downloaded the buildroot tarball.
fallowed the directions.
And it still keeps crashing.

Do I need to install a diffrent flavor of linux? I am running Ubuntu 7.10. I know this should not be this hard ;)

32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/include -msoft-float -I. -g -O2 -c localcharset.c
/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/bin/avr32-linux-uclibc-gcc -Os -pipe -I/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/include -msoft-float -I. -g -O2 -c mbchar.c
In file included from mbchar.h:157,
from mbchar.c:22:
./wchar.h:41:12: error: empty filename in #include
In file included from mbchar.c:22:
mbchar.h:242: error: expected ')' before 'wc'
make[3]: *** [mbchar.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9/lib'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9'
make: *** [/home/altrez/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0/build_avr32_nofpu/coreutils-6.9/src/vdir] Error 2
altrez@altrez-desktop:~/dev/buildroot/buildroot-avr32-v2.1.0$

Any help would be great!

-Altrez

This error is because you built the toolchain without WCHAR support.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

ulf wrote:
The main buildroot trunk at http://buildroot.uclibc.org/ has
evolved since the snapshot used by the Atmel buildroot.
It contains packages like openvpn which is not present in the Atmel buildroot.
HCE's just given the world access to his GIT repo for buildroot [1] which should in turn be synchronized against buildroot upstream pretty often. This should help all the package version out of date spoodge which we usually deal with as well as giving us access to a bunch of extra packages.

-S.

[1] http://avr32linux.org/archives/b...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thats great! I have yet to make buildroot compile however I am installing FC8 this weekend. A fresh install with all the updates. I hope I will have better luck with it. I am going to order another ngw this week. I love them. Well that is If, I can talk the girlfriend into it ;)

-Altrez

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I have run the Buildroot utility/application, and have selected to include the "DircectFB" library. When make reaches this library I get the "Invalid configuration `avr32-linux': machine `avr32' not recognized" message. The Buildroot tries to include DirectFB-0.9.25.1, and I am running Fedora 7.
If anyone has a fix to this, I would be very grateful. Please be detailed to the extreme :wink:, as I have no previous experience with Linux.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You can add a line like

$(UPDATE_CONFIG) $(DIRECTFB_DIR)

to packages/directfb/directfb.mk after the commands to do any patching. I assume the last token is going to be $(DIRECTFB_DIR) but check which token is used as the source directory in other parts of the script.

Alternatively you can just download a new version of config.sub (google for it) and place it in the source directory manually.

-S.