I know there are tons of good options but I'm rather new to bootloaders, and I'm afraid I'm suffering from a bit of choice paralysis. Would anyone like to recommend a good bootloader as a starting point? It's intended to let users update their software safely using a PC and serial interface.
- UART interface to host PC
- Rewrite flash and eeprom locations
- Modest "reasonable" security against cloning; strong encryption not needed (unless memory footprint is small)
- Error checking/verification/other good practice features I am surely not aware of
- ATMEL Studio 7 if it matters
- Free as in speech and beer