Basic Question on AT90S2313-10PI

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I don't even rate as a novice on electronics, so please bear with me. This is the result of a Google search based on the ATMEL part number. I found a small device (9V power with an external antennae) with this part in my office. It definitely does not belong there and would seem to be deliberately placed. Simply, what does this chip do?

admin's test signature

Hiya noname

well that would depend on what program be programmed into the chip.
I would think it's either transmitting or reciveing a singal.
need more info of external parts. like is there a micraphone hoked to it??

admin's test signature

Hi Noname,

As the other reply says, it depends on what other parts are fitted to the device. You say that there is an antenna fitted, I`m assuming you mean a small length of wire ?
I have a reasonable amount of knowledge in transmitting devices of the type you are describing, but I have never come across one with a microcontroller fitted. The only thing I can assume from your description, is that if it is a transmitting device, then the microcontroller is being used as a special function, maybe voice activation! The main thing to look for on the device, as the other reply says, is a microphone. The most common type of microphone used on these devices would be approx 5 to 10mm in diameter, and about 5mm thick, Silver in colour with a black felt pad attached to one end, two leads out of the back which are soldered into the p.c.b.

If you can indentify more of the parts fitted, or want to have the device checked out more closely, please contact me direct.

Regards,

Ron

Hi,
That is odd indeed. The AT90S2313 is a microcontroller, or microprocessor. It has a small program in it that runs and does something. Think of it as a very small, not-so-powerful computer, with-out stuff like CD-ROM drives. It's outputs and input is a voltage, either 5v or 0v. Is there any chance of a photo? it could be used for a number of things. I've got one question though: are you an employee, manager etc? I only ask as some employers "spy" on their employees. The microchip could be used to encrypt the signal being transmitted, perhaps. However i'd think a analog to digital converter would be needed as well. It could be a reciever, but i don't know what that would do. It does seem like a rather interesting find however. If you are really interested people here can figure out what it did, by looking at the device and also getting the code out of the chip (not always possible). Mabey the CIA planted it ;)
Good Luck!!
-Colin

Hi All,

It's also quite common now for the employee to spy on the employer. They too, have the technology.

Cheers Jack

>> are you an employee, manager etc? I only ask as some employers >>"spy" on their employees.

Just curious, what can AVR do beyond calculating
and control?

It has PWM, analog comparator, programmable
pull-up resistors (also ALU, Timer, UART,
RAM, EEPROM, . . .)

AVR also stands for Automatic Voltage Regulator,
it can emit signals in the range of several MHz,
it also can generate audible tones (I have ever
employed it in mini electronic organ).
It has sleep feature, as Ron said it maybe a
signal or voice activated device.
It can be act as transistors switch, with output
impedance as low as 250 ohm.

Noname, did you find other chips? is it a mass product
or just a prototype board?

Cogito ergo sum,
Edy Gunawan, edy@royal.net

Hi noname,

I'm glad you came here, so we can get this sorted out.

Unfortunately, a lot of people here in this forum are ignorant of modern transmitters.
You should disregard the other answers you've gotten so far.

Here's how it really works :
The device you've found sounds like the "standard" surveillance device used by Chinese intelligence. The AT90S2313 marking is correct for an Atmel CPU, but the 10PI marking indicates that it's a locally manufactured clone of the Atmel chip.
This chip contains a high performance CPU as well as a long range transmitter, using the 45 GHz band.
It does not need a microphone, as it has a built in accelerometer, which just measures the soundwaves in the air directly.
It can also spy on the magnetic and electric fields from your screen.
Despite the small custom battery (often disquised as a normal Duracell, but in fact a self-recharging cell with 16 Ah capacity), it has a range of up to 500 miles.
This has probably been placed in your office by Chinese secret agent, possibly disquised as cleaning staff or fast-food delivery people. Probably as retaliation for the EP-3 story.
You should immediately yank the battery from the unit, keep an eye out for suspiciously looking people in you office and call CIA in Langley. Ask for Pedro.

A friend

Oh yeah, and I'm a fairy from Fairy Land.
45 Ghz , 16Ah , 500 Mile range. hehehe.

Can'ttellyou is just winding you up Noname

Cheers Jack

Did this ever go anywhere? I just wondered if you ever figured out about it!