Basic operation of the stk500 explained on AVRTV

Go To Last Post
20 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

http://www.avrtv.com/2008/08/25/...

If you've yet to figure out how to perform the LED-blinken-Button-pushen demos w/ the STK500, check out the videos. There's a talk about the various features of the board.

Mike Coles http://blips.net
'bluelip' http://diyaday.com

And if not then you could always visit the Academy forum :wink:

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

I normally download all AVRTV episodes (no matter how familiar with the subject matter I am) but I'm going to give this one a miss due to its size. Our internet plan cannot support many 350MB+ videos before being severely throttled. Am I missing anything interesting in this special?

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

How do you download an episode, Dean? Do you view the HTML source to get the URL of the video file?

kmr wrote:
How do you download an episode, Dean? Do you view the HTML source to get the URL of the video file?

On the bottom of each video entry on the main page of AVR TV, you'll find links for various download formats.

Typically, you may find one or more of the following formats available for download:
- STK1000-comaptible MPEG4
- QuickTime H.264
- 3GP
- Windows Media

For the most recent episode, only the QuickTime H.264 format is currently listed.

You can also subscribe to AVR TV as an iTunes podcast, and new episodes will be automatically delivered to you.

Excellent, thanks for the great information!

Quote:
Am I missing anything interesting in this special?

It is just a rehash of the STK500 manual.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Dean, if you don't want to be the last on your block to know about the STK500, I'll be happy to mail you a CD of it. I'm downloading it now.

I probably still have your address somewhere. No promises that you'll learn anything, though.

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

http://www.cbaird.org

Well, Dean, I watched it, and I don't think you need to worry about not seeing it.

I can't believe the guy turned on the power and then poked around with that metal tipped pen. We had a DEC field engineer pull that trick once on a wire wrapped backplane and fried our CPU board. Needless to say he was embarrassed, but I think we ended up paying the replacement cost.

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

Have they changed the RS-232 ports? mine are the other way around with the control on the outside, and the spare on the inside..

Quote:

Have they changed the RS-232 ports? mine are the other way around with the control on the outside, and the spare on the inside..

??? Now, THAT I'd like to see a picture of. How old is it? I've got an old (with dataflash) and newer (without dataflash) unit on my desk and both have RS232SPARE on the outside.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Well, thanks for the offer anyway Chuck - much appreciated. Similarly, if anyone needs a copy of all the episodes (minus 32-bit AVR episodes) since the site started, I can burn them onto a CD.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Dean, if you're maintaining a library of these things then maybe I should mail it to you. I'd be happy to, even though you won't learn anything.

Chuck Baird

Quote:

Dean, if you're maintaining a library of these things then maybe I should mail it to you. I'd be happy to, even though you won't learn anything.

Well, if you get time at some point in the future, I suppose. I guess I can take up the part of AVRFreaks librarian ;). Cant hurt to help those without large broadband internet connections (i.e, Australians).

Dean, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow. If you want me to send it some place other than where I sent the mug, PM me that address before tomorrow.

Chuck Baird

Quote:

Have they changed the RS-232 ports?

Placing the STK-500 in front of you, with the switches and LEDs closest to you (and the RS232 ports and the power connection facing away) the CTRL port is to the left and the SPARE port is to the right.

I have three STK-500s of varying age (at least one old enough to have the dataFLASH mounted). All look the same.

Quote:

mine are the other way around with the control on the outside, and the spare on the inside..

I have a hard time believing this. Either it is not a STK500, or you are wrong. Or maybe you have a real collectible...

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

The STK500 shown in the video is the same as my current two, as well as the other 5 or 6 that I have either given away or sold over the past 4 or 5 years.

I'd like to see a picture of this newly revised STK500, if there really is such a revised version.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

aparently I have opened my mouth and inserted one (or both) feet.. it is indeed on the inside like the video, so no strange and rare board for me.

Quote:
aparently I have opened my mouth and inserted one (or both) feet..

Don't worry about it - everybody's had that pleasant experience. It's always more fun with a worldwide audience like we have here.

Chuck Baird

CD arrived today, thanks Chuck! Now I've got the full set of everything published on AVRTV, minus the 32-bit AVR focused videos. If anyone needs a copy of all the episodes, ask and I'll send them out.