Bad batch of ATXMEGA256A3?

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all

Some help would be appreciated.
We have developed our project on ATXMEGA256D3, while planning to use ATXMEGA192D3 in production. We have received some ATXMEGA256A3 samples, and we have built 4 boards. Strange thing is, that PORTB, b5&6 on all of these are reading as zero, even when they are at a high voltage (when we measure). We are applying 0xF0 to the pins, but it reads back as 0x50...

If we take the same board, and replace the chip with a D3, it works fine as expected.

Does anyone have any experience in this?

kind regards
Carel

www.pteq.net
Home of:
- Polygon Technologies CC

What does the datasheet say for "alternate use of IO" for those pins? Not a debug interface by any chance?

You beat me to it.

David.

Good grief the Atmel site is slow to download datasheets but having finally got a copy of the A3 data I find it (like most Xmega data) almost completely inpenetrable at first glance. It seems impossible to get a straight answer to a straight question.

HOWEVER:

A3 data wrote:
29.3.1Boundary-scan Order
Table 30-8 on page 53 shows the Scan order between TDI and TDO when the Boundary-scan chain is selected as data path. Bit 0 is the LSB; the first bit scanned in, and the first bit scanned out. The scan order follows the pin-out order. Bit 4, 5, 6 and 7 of Port B is not in the scan chain, since these pins constitute the TAP pins when the JTAG is enabled.

Which seems to confirm that JTAG is on PB4..PB7

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Hi Guys

MANY THANKS for the replies!
First thing I did was to measure the actual voltages
Second thing was to check alternative functions..
I discarded the jtag as unimportant, since we never use it, and it has never bothered us before on any device.

And then I checked the fuse bits..
and found that the jtag was in fact enabled...

oops.

Thanks guys!

www.pteq.net
Home of:
- Polygon Technologies CC

clawson wrote:
It seems impossible to get a straight answer to a straight question.
Table 29-2 Port B - Alternate functions (ATxmega A3 datasheet) clearly shows JTAG on the high bits of Port B. In contrast, Table 27-2 for the D3 shows no JTAB on Port B.

Don Kinzer
ZBasic Microcontrollers
http://www.zbasic.net

Don,

Then I must have a different document to you. There is not Table 29-2 in mine. There are very few tables in the document I just downloaded (8068Q–AVR–02/10). I went back as far as Chapter 14 and didn't see a single table. Going past Chapter 29 the first table I come to is 30-1

Oh, wait a minute, maybe it's table 30-2 you are meaning? But why isn't that table in Chapter 15 where it discusses the IO (specifically the "alternate use" subsection)? That's where it would have been found in all prior AVR data.

clawson wrote:
Then I must have a different document to you.
Sorry, I was looking at an older version: 8068L–AVR–06/09.

However, you'll note that in the section on Alternate Port Functions (15.6 in the newest version) there is a link to "Pinout and Pin Functions - Page 49" that takes you to Chapter 30 containing the alternate pin functions tables.

Don Kinzer
ZBasic Microcontrollers
http://www.zbasic.net