I am trying to create a simple bootloader for an ATMega128. I am using AVRStudio 4.13 Build 528 and WinAVR 20060421. For debugging, I'm using a JTAG ICE mk II connected to a STK500 with a STK501 expansion card. I also tried debugging with the Simulator and Simulator V2 but the result was the same.
When I try to build and run the project, AVRStudio crashes. If I remove the .bootloader section definition from the linker (which causes the linker to put the bootloader functions in the .text section), it will build and run fine. Unfortunately, I cannot debug this way because the SPM instruction does not work in the .text section.