AVRISPMKII/Studio4.19 and Windows 10

Go To Last Post
21 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey all,

I am trying to program an OLD part using Studio4.19 and an MKII on my Win10 machine.  Problem is that the MKII is not being recognised by Studio419 as I am sure the updated drivers/firmware I have for the MKII are getting in the way.  Trying to force Win10 to use a Jungo Driver are proving fruitless, so does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this working?

Cheerio!

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

From memory you need to install AS4 before AS7 or windows will just use the latest (AS7) driver.

Haven't used either for a while so my memory is not that good. frown

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

The only reason for using AS4.xx would be for a RS232 style JTAGICE-1 debugger.

Or if you live in Outer Mongolia without any internet.

Otherwise AS7.0 should work fine with an AVRISP-2 programmer.   But AS7.0 works fine with every other programmer e,g. Dragon, JTAGICE-2, JTAGICE-3, ATMEL-ICE, SNAP, Pickit4, ...

David.

david.prentice wrote:

The only reason for using AS4.xx would be for a RS232 style JTAGICE-1 debugger.

Or if you live in Outer Mongolia without any internet.

You missed this part David:

jgmdesign wrote:
I am trying to program an OLD part

The part is not in Studio 7.  90s2313

Thanks john for the input... I do remember something about that.

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Total votes: 1

No problem.   Avrdude will program an 90S2313 with any programming tool.   Codevision will program a 90S2313 with most programming tools.    Ok,   AS7.0 drop-downs do not offer AT90S2313 even with STK500. 

The 90S2313 takes a LONG time.    If it is PDIP20 I would replace it with ATtiny2313A.

David.

using Studio4.19 and an MKII on my Win10 machine.  Problem is that the MKII is not being recognised by Studio419

My matching 4.19/WIN10/ISPMKII setup does the same thing  (no connect).....so your system is as bad as any.  I Use my REAL Atmel ISPMKII  on win 10, with Studio7, no problem.   I don't want to mess around  fiddling with drivers,etc to run with studio 4 & "break" my setup.

If it is any help, I know for a fact Win 7 will work with studio 4 & the MKII, as I used that setup for many years....so if you have a win7 machine lurking, it would suffice.

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

avrcandies wrote:
I know for a fact Win 7 will work with studio 4 & the MKII
64 bit?

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Yep, I have it win7 64bit

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Thanks John. I still have an old XP machine and am not looking forward to moving over to my Win7 64 bit Pro box when the XP dies. Incompatibilities, hardware and software, are a pain in the rear end.

when the XP dies.

surpriseIt already died, didn't you go to the funeral? Followed thereafter by Win 7 crying

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

jgmdesign wrote:
... as I am sure the updated drivers/firmware I have for the MKII are getting in the way.
7.0.888?

IIRC, recent post stating that AVR Studio is no longer functional on a recent Windows 10 build; if so then can try earlier Windows 10 builds.

An alternative is to replace an Atmel AVRISP mkII with a LUFA function-like.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/win10-drivers-avrisp-and-avr-studio-419#comment-2625556

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/studio-419-build-730-windows-10#comment-2668986

Four Walled Cubicle - AVRISP-MKII Clone

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Or the easiest is to just build a win7 machine with as419 and the Mimi and keep the hard drive for these such occasions 

jim

js wrote:

when the XP dies.

surpriseIt already died, didn't you go to the funeral? Followed thereafter by Win 7 crying

From my position of comfort, I have watched all you guys struggling with the Win10 upgrades and their implications and simply say "No thanks!".

I run Studio 7 on the latest version of Windows 10 and it works just fine. I don't, however, use older Atmel programmers as I always had USB driver issues on Win 7 and moved away from them some time ago.

#1 Hardware Problem? https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

#2 Hardware Problem? Read AVR042.

#3 All grounds are not created equal

#4 Have you proved your chip is running at xxMHz?

#5 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand."

You have to first install As4 with its drivers, and then As7 with the jungo drivers.

Note that there also  is a trick with enabling and disabling/activating drivers.

As by default the jungo drivers are used you needed to do something to tell ms not to use those.

It was a bit tricky and has been discussed a couple of times a long time ago. I think the first discussion was when AS 6 came about as that used those ' new'  drivers.

If you know for sure you will be needing it more often, then indeed perhaps take an old HDD and make that dedicated with a AS4 install and use that when you need to.

Or the easiest is to just build a win7 machine with as419 and the Mimi and keep the hard drive for these such occasions 

Assuming your win10 PC is win7 capable, you might be able to partition the drive & arrange for a dual boot into win7 *.  Or can you boot into win7 from a flash mem stick?    In any case, all that sounds hazardous---who wants to possibly screw up their working win10 machine? 

*one of my PC's somehow has 2 installs of win10 and it asks me which one I want to use, or defualts to #1 after a few seconds.  I keep thinking about deleting the non-updating #2, but don't relish creatin any troubles...I can spare the 30gigs it takes up !

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

I have watched all you guys struggling with the Win10

Not me, still on Win7 64bits.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

or VM Windows 7 via Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro, and subsequent, or your preferred VMM on Windows 10 Home.

AVR Studio is more for Windows XP than Windows 7; so, "might" consider Windows XP or XP Mode in Windows 7.

Download Windows Virtual PC from Official Microsoft Download Center

AVR Studio is more for Windows XP than Windows 7

Huh? surprise

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:

AVR Studio is more for Windows XP than Windows 7

Huh? surprise

Agreed!  HUH?

Jim

Plons created an excellent environment for AVR Studio 4.19

Linux Mint with Win XP in Virtual Box | AVR Freaks

edit : if prefer Windows 10 then

How to Set Up a Windows XP Virtual Machine for Free (Windows XP on VirtualBox on Windows 10)

Would be interesting to try this method for Hyper-V (Windows 10 Pro and sub)

Last Edited: Wed. May 27, 2020 - 12:21 AM