AVRISP vs. STK500 programming

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm having some difficulties with programming systems with the AVRISP on certain computers.
On some computers both the SKT500 and the AVRISP program the boards fine, but on some AVRStudio (3.55) detects the AVRISP but just plainly fails to even start programming the target. The STK500 will program the target using that computer.

The target is powered up and the AVRISP is working and detected, so what would prevent it from programming????? The reset line doesn't even go low. (pull up resistor is sized properly) AVRStudio gives the usual unspecific FAILED... message.
I always thought the AVRISP was using exactly the same programming hardware as the STK500, but I'm not convinced here.

I would like to know what's going on just in case a problem arises that requires people to go out and do field updates. The SKT500 is not really rugged enough for that.

Any ideas?
Igor

Hi,

Out of interest try using avrdude. There is the Windows binary of avrdude avaliable with WinAVR, so if you are using Windows you may have to install all of WinAVR.

What sort of serial port is on the bad computers? Is it a native one, or ones with USB to Serial?

Regards,

-Colin

Had also problem with AVRISP,killed my mcu.
Use ponyprog know and works fine.

admin's test signature

Colin, I think it's going to be hard to convince others to start messing with programs I never used myself. The computers in question are normal desktops wit native serial ports, one older one and a relatively new one. Haven't checked which operating systems yet. At least one of them is also having trouble using MPLab.

PP, I find it hard to believe the AVRISP killed your mcu. The only logical way for that to happen is if you didn't connect the Vdd on your target mcu, blowing the ESD diodes. It would be rahter bad business for Atmel if their own programmer kept blowing up their mcu's. Maybe you had a bad mcu, didn't use static precautions during handling etc...

Igor