AVRISP STK500 V2.0 Compatible USB ISP Programmer for ATmel IC - Problem

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello Community,

I purchased a knockoff AVRISP Programmer a while back from www.cutedigi.com ( you can link to it http://www.cutedigi.com/programm...) . I'm trying to use it to re-flash an Arduino chip which I accidentally bricked. I also have some ATTiny861V chips to test with.

I was wondering if this should still work in re-programming the chip on an Arduino Uno (Atmega 328P). I have tried the following tools without success:

1. Atmel Studio 6.2 - programmer not detected
  2. AVR Studio 4 (4.19) - the programmer is not detected
  3. AVRdude version 5.10 (the error is below)

C:\Users\geekNproud>avrdude -c stk500v2 -P com8 -p  m328p

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_recv(): checksum error
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad STK600 connection status: Unknown (0x64

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Right now I would be OK just getting an application to recognize my programmer. Any advise or comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Why would someone buy a "knock-off" for $39.99 when a genuine Atmel AVRISP-2 is about $35 ?

Having said that,   I am sure that your "knock-off" should work at least for ISP.

I doubt if it does TPI, PDI or any of the other AVRISP-2 features.

It looks as if avrdude is not talking to the "stk500v2".    Are you using the correct COM# ?

If you want to re-program the chip on a UNO,    just use another UNO.   Or buy a $3 Chinese USBASP.

Buying a cheap UNO clone is pretty cheap nowadays.   And you can buy them locally too.

Which country do you live in?

David.

david.prentice wrote:

Why would someone buy a "knock-off" for $39.99 when a genuine Atmel AVRISP-2 is about $35 ?

Having said that,   I am sure that your "knock-off" should work at least for ISP.

I doubt if it does TPI, PDI or any of the other AVRISP-2 features.

It looks as if avrdude is not talking to the "stk500v2".    Are you using the correct COM# ?

If you want to re-program the chip on a UNO,    just use another UNO.   Or buy a $3 Chinese USBASP.

Buying a cheap UNO clone is pretty cheap nowadays.   And you can buy them locally too.

Which country do you live in?

David.

Because I didn't know any better 3 years ago sad

I checked my Device Manager and verified it was COM8. It would be nice if there were general utilities to check the programmer without actually specifying a chip.

So you suggest something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/USBasp-U...)?

I'm in the US.

Yes,  that looks fine.     And $5 seems fine for a local US vendor.

Chinese prices look very attractive but you have to wait 10-50 days for the packet to actually arrive at your front door.

Please add US to your profile.    It shows up with every post.

Unless you have fried your Blue "knock-off",   I am sure that it should work ok.    Have you never used it?   Try:

avrdude -c stk500v2 -P com8 -p  m328p -v

and copy-paste the response.    Check that it is on COM8 by unplugging it and check Device Manager.

David.