AvrFlash Freeware frontend for STK500/AVRISP programmer.

Go To Last Post
23 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

AvrFlash is a frontend for the STK500/AVRISP programmer.
It is intended for use in a development- or production-environment.

The settings like fuses, ISP speed and hexfilename are provided in a configurationfile (.hcf file)
You can give each project it's own hcf file.
The end-user only has to load this file to program the device.

I runs in 2 modes:
- Develoment mode:
In this mode you create a hcf file, You set:
- device type
- fuses and lockbits
- ISP speed - note: the fuses are always written at the lowest speed
- Hex filename

-Production mode:
- only the hexfilename can be changed. The rest is fixed.

To set the development mode: make a shortcut with commandline parameter: 'Develop'.

Installation: copy this program onto your harddisk.

notes:
The startadress, endadress and CRC32 of the hexfile are shown.
AVR Studio4 must be installed.

Changelog:
version 0.7
- Added support for AVRISPII ( USB)
- Drive letter added for choosing STK500 directory
- Added more ISP speeds

note for working with multiple USB ISP's:
select Setup>Comport
add USB:0000A.... where 0000A.. stands for he serialnumber.
The label on the AVRISP indicates 00A..( 2 zero's) where the device wants 0000A.. ( four zero's ).

version 0.8:
- Atmel file simulatorparts.cac used for selecting device is missing in last version of AVRStudio, so you have to type in devicename.
- checking signature added

version 2.0
- programming EEPROM added
- programming bootloader added
- overall CRC added with CRC over all files and fuses
- erasing EEPROM added for devices with EEPROM save fuse active

- programming thru bootloader added (source to follow)
- bug corrected , did not remember comport

This program is tested with ATmega8 48 - 88- 168 and ATmega329.

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Thu. Nov 6, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Since your software still needs AVR Studio installed, why not directly using AVR Studio ?
Using AVR Studio's Auto menu, you have the same functionality.

You are correct, but when you have to program different projects without the need for the Studio features this is a lot more easy and secure. We also use this program in a production environment.
Dig

hallo dig,
and why don't you use stk500.exe?

regards
gerhard

I use STK500.exe. AVRFlash only generates the commandline.
Dig

Dig,

Good Job!
And a nice program to.
Handy for my projects. (audio, scoreboard)

Gr, Jos

new version see above
Dig

This is excellent work! Thanks Dig !

However, is there a way to also program the EEPROM with your "frontend" ???

New version, with bootloader and eeprom support
Dig

It looks like something useful - BUT - I have great avversion at the way the fuses are set up as they are prone to error and one has to think.

A dropdown menu that spells out the fuse settings like AVRStudio or AVROSP2 (which unfortunately does not support the STK500 yet, I may have to ask for my money back :? ) would make it a useful tool IMnsHO.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Program (v2) is not restoring interface setting.
Every load I should to set AVRISP setting Com1 instead USB.
By default setting of AVRISP is USB.
In AVRFlash.ini file saved my setting (Com1), but if I run program again loaded USB ! :(

Regards.

Sorry, never noticed that it did not remember the port, always used it on USB. I corrected it in 2.01
Jonh ,the fuses: did you try setting the fuses? I have done my best to make it clear, you don't fill in the hexcode!.
Dig

Attachment(s): 

Quote:
did you try setting the fuses?
No, I haven't downloaded your program. I thought the picture above (1st post) indicated some hex format for them.

If it is like you show now I'll try it out.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

OK have d/l the above version 2.01 but it looks nothing like the picture, this is the best I can do. Everything else is greyed out.

Attachment(s): 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Dig Kleppe wrote:
Jonh ,the fuses: did you try setting the fuses? I have done my best to make it clear, you don't fill in the hexcode!.
Dig

I can't see this fuse window as well..

Signature: We need more peripherals in DIP packages. Namely, USB, 12-bit ADC, 16-bit timer, cheaper tool as a programmer/debugger coz STK600 is expensive! Atmel Studio 5/6 sucks! coz it brings MS visual studio crap to AVR world..

I think you aren't seeing the fuse EDIT option because the designer (Thanks Dig!) has locked that out for production use.

If you want to change the fuses, you need to run the program from a Command Prompt (Old Dos way of execution).
Then, if the AVRFlash.exe is in the "c:" directory type this: C:>avrflash Develop

This will open up the Fuse Edit function. (NOTE: the "D" in Develop is capitalized).

Thanks Dig, i will play with it some more tomorrow.

Why can't we select desired mode in the software it self, in addition to the command line ?

Can you save Check Signature and Erase EEPROM setting to AVRFlash.ini as well, it doesn't seem to save them. I mean by this the checkbox thing, not fuses values.

I modified the executable and command line parameter so that it starts in development mode directly, the command line parameter becomes "Produce" instead of "Develop" to force AVRFlash.exe to start in production mode. I think this is better for me, at least. Thanks to dig for this good work.

Attachment(s): 

Signature: We need more peripherals in DIP packages. Namely, USB, 12-bit ADC, 16-bit timer, cheaper tool as a programmer/debugger coz STK600 is expensive! Atmel Studio 5/6 sucks! coz it brings MS visual studio crap to AVR world..

Quote:
you need to run the program from a Command Prompt
Then I'm definetely not interested. :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:
Quote:
you need to run the program from a Command Prompt
Then I'm definetely not interested. :-)

"metal" fixed that. Download his "modified" and all you need to do is click.

p.s. i can't tell if that's internet sarcasm, if it is, then its funny. if its not, then u b lay-z :shock:

It's no sarcasm. John does not like the command line. I would not deem him lazy because of that.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I am still unsure if what I did is correct as if I am allowed to change the program @ the low level, if dig is going to be angry about it !!

Nice discussion! I would say "RTFM", see first post:

Quote:
To set the development mode: make a shortcut with commandline parameter: 'Develop'.

So default the setting of dangerous things like fuses is off. We know the secret to enable this.
I hope everyone here knows what a shortcut is, so no need for a commandline.

Dig

Attachment(s): 

When I run in Develop mode I don't seem to be able to change the device. I can do it manually in the .hcf file but not through the gui, the option is greyed out.