AVRDude 5.10 .exe with FTDI patches for Win7

Go To Last Post
17 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Does anybody have avrdude 5.10 built with the patches for the FTDI chips? I'm running Win7 64-bit.

I've been using avrdude-serjtag version 5.3.1 with one of Smiley's BBUSBs to rescue my LUFA based Atmega32U4 AVRISP mkII clone programmer. I sometimes use the 32U4 for other functions and hose it up once in a while.

It would be nice to have only one avrdude version on my machine.

This will be a temporary solution as I will be ordering a Dragon soon, unless anyone thinks I should go for an STK500 instead.

Smiley, are you still selling the BBUSBs?

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Sun. Jun 19, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Would anybody like to build that for me as a favor or for a virtual beer?

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

OK, how about a six pack of virtual beer. :D

There is nothing more rewarding than figuring out what is needed, and to build it yourself. 8)

I also get to drink the six pack of beer myself. :D

If anyone needs, or wants, to build this let me know I can help with the details.

Hi, I have tried to build for win7x64 using the info from here http://doswa.com/blog/2010/08/24...
however cygwin throws a linking error while make. Could you help or uploading your binaries would be much better ?

The FTDI stuff is proprietary, so I can't give you the binaries. I built it with MingW if that helps.

Once you get everything in the right place, this:

./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R" LIBS="./libftd2xx.a.0.4.16 -lpthread -ldl -lrt"
make
=============================================================================================

becomes:

./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R" LIBS="./ftd2xx.lib"
make

Quote:
This will be a temporary solution as I will be ordering a Dragon soon, unless anyone thinks I should go for an STK500 instead.

Larry, these are totally different devices with different purposes in mind.

The STK500 lets you plug in most PDIP AVRs and be up and running for coding. You have some LEDs, (albeit reverse logic), and some push button switches available, an RS-232 interface, an on board clock, (3.something MHz max), and headers to take other ports off the STK to other PCBs or breadboards.

The STK500 won't do JTag debugging.

It won't work with XMegas, (Xmegas use PDI which isn't supported in the STK500, and they don't come in PDIP packages, anyways).

The Dragon will program most AVRs, but it is a real hassle to connect different chips to it. I just use mine as a stand alone programmer, to program my breadboards or PCBs with a cable from the programming header to my boards. The Dragon does do JTAG debugging.

I've had some difficulties programming Xmegas with my Dragon, but others report success, so perhaps it is just my setup.

I don't use JTAG, just an old fashioned LED and LCD... but be aware of these differences, if you want JTAG capabilities.

Photos show a Dragon (Version 1, no mounting holes), mounted on Plexiglass board, and STK500, mounted with two breadborads. Hack away :)

JC

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Tue. Jul 12, 2011 - 11:43 PM

larryvc wrote:
The FTDI stuff is proprietary, so I can't give you the binaries. I built it with MingW if that helps.

Once you get everything in the right place, this:

./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R" LIBS="./libftd2xx.a.0.4.16 -lpthread -ldl -lrt"
make
=============================================================================================

becomes:

./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R" LIBS="./ftd2xx.lib"
make

This is what I already did, and tried it with ming but same error...

Do you use ftdi windows driver right ? amd64 static library. Which directories do you copy the lib file ?

Thanks for the help

anon10500 wrote:
This is what I already did, and tried it with ming but same error...

Do you use ftdi windows driver right ? amd64 static library. Which directories do you copy the lib file ?

I think I used the driver in the static->i386 directory. If that does not work, use the one in the i386 directory.

The static-amd64 driver would not work.

Try that and get back with your results.

nope, gotta sleep now 3.30 am. tomorrow i will recheck dependences, thanks

mv -f .deps/avrdude-term.Tpo .deps/avrdude-term.Po
mingw32-gcc -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R -DWIN32NATIVE  -stat
ic -o avrdude.exe avrdude-main.o avrdude-term.o ./libavrdude.a  -lhid -lsetupapi
 -lm ./ftd2xx.lib
./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-ft245r.o): In function `ft245r_close':
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:452: undefined reference to `_imp__F
T_Close@4'
./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-ft245r.o): In function `ft245r_open':
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:391: undefined reference to `_imp__F
T_Open@8'
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:404: undefined reference to `_imp__F
T_SetBitMode@12'
./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-ft245r.o): In function `ft245r_drain':
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:120: undefined reference to `_imp__F
T_GetQueueStatus@8'
./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-ft245r.o): In function `ft245r_send':
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:87: undefined reference to `_imp__FT
_Write@16'
./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-ft245r.o): In function `ft245r_recv':
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:99: undefined reference to `_imp__FT
_Read@16'
./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-ft245r.o): In function `ft245r_set_bitclock':
C:\cygwin\home\hozgur\avrdude-5.10/ft245r.c:189: undefined reference to `_imp__F
T_SetBaudRate@8'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [avrdude.exe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hozgur/avrdude-5.10'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hozgur/avrdude-5.10'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering an STK500 and a Dragon this week.

I have a couple of solutions for programming already. This one is brought to you by Smiley Micros and the modified Avrdude.

http://db.tt/ZohFePf

Ignore the lack of decoupling caps, I do. :wink:

I also have an AVRISP mkII clone that does TPI, PDI and ISP quite well.

anon10500,

This is the config I use and it works: (all on one line of course)

./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R" LIBS="c:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Larry/CDM20814_WHQL_Certified/i386/ftd2xx.lib"

It's much easier to copy CDM20814_WHQL_Certified/i386/ftd2xx.lib to avrdude-5.10/ftd2xx.lib and then use:

./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -DSUPPORT_FT245R" LIBS="ftd2xx.lib"

I tested this to make absolutely sure it worked, and it did.

All those fancy jumper wires, and you still have one with nicked insulation!

(Upper board, lower most rail, column 4)

:wink:

JC

DocJC wrote:
All those fancy jumper wires, and you still have one with nicked insulation!

Yep, and I'm proud of it. I was wondering if you would notice.

Actually, I'm in dire need of some better jumper wires. Guess I'll spend some time with the wire strippers and cutters tomorrow.

I'll post a picture of the AVRISP mkII clone tomorrow, with proper jumper wires of course.

Take care.

Sorry annon10500, did you try what I suggested in my last post. It absolutely will build using the MinGW shell. Doubleclick on msys.bat.

larryvc wrote:
Sorry annon10500, did you try what I suggested in my last post. It absolutely will build using the MinGW shell. Doubleclick on msys.bat.

I reinstalled cygwin and it is finally built, thanks for the help.

OK. Now my turn for a question. How did you get it to build in cygwin? :?