AvrDragon_HVPP_Atmega2560

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi

After some searching there appears to be a lot of confusing info regarding whether to power an off board target directly with the AvrDragon or to use an external power source ?.

I have a Mega2560 with incorrect fuses set and thought i,d attempt a reincarnation with the Dragon

Whats your experience/recommendation  and is there any extra insurance i can implement in order to avoid any fireworks.

T.I.A

Essef cool 

Just like the Thunderbirds, Printf needs "Strings" yes

Last Edited: Sun. Dec 28, 2014 - 12:37 PM

It is always a good idea to use external power for a target board that is being examined by a debugging tool like the Dragon.  USB channels are supposed to deliver at least 100 mA to each unit that is plugged in, but in hardware PC-clone electronics, who knows if it actually is and if that power is very stable.  Plus the Dragon has a lot of circuitry on it.   If your target board is pulling 100+ mA and the Dragon is also, the PC might trip a USB circuit breaker in the middle of a debug session.

And, as well all know from experience, the AVR Dragon is the flaky-est piece of debug equipment ever released by anyone.  And just looking at it cross-eyed can destroy it.  So why goof around?  Use an external power source on the target board.

Thanks for your input, ex/psu it is .

Essef cool

Just like the Thunderbirds, Printf needs "Strings" yes