AVR/Arduino Hardware Debugger on the Cheap with ATTiny4313

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey all,

I'm trying to get this working on my ATTiny4313 and having no luck with putting it into debug mode. I can set fuses, read signature and fuse state, set it to 1/8 clock and back, but whenever I try to engage the debugger, it says the speed is 4294967295 bps (FFFF FFFF) and times out. Looking at the source code and watching the reset signal with a scope makes it look like it should be doing something, but at this point I'm out of my depth.

If anyone has experience with doing this that would be great!

Serial monitor:

Low: 44, High: 9F, Extd: FF - CHDIV8 Enabled, DWEN Enabled
Cycling Vcc
Speed:  4294967295 bps
Sending BREAK: Timeout: received: 0 expected: 1

Do the AVR chip & your programmer actually run a simple program, like blinking an LED (not talking about the debugger). 

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

avrcandies wrote:

Do the AVR chip & your programmer actually run a simple program, like blinking an LED (not talking about the debugger). 

Yep, basic blinking LED. That's how I know the 1/8 clock is working. I even tried adding in break points to no avail. 

In the days when a hardware emulator cost $1000s or even when an OCD tool cost $100s I can understand s "Debugger on the Cheap".

You can buy an XMINI-328PB for $10 or a SNAP for $20.   And just get on with your projects knowing that your hardware is supported by AS7.0 and MPLABX

David.

david.prentice wrote:

In the days when a hardware emulator cost $1000s or even when an OCD tool cost $100s I can understand s "Debugger on the Cheap".

You can buy an XMINI-328PB for $10 or a SNAP for $20.   And just get on with your projects knowing that your hardware is supported by AS7.0 and MPLABX

David.

The MPLAB Snap can program and debug the attiny4313 for sure? 

Yes,  SNAP works with ISP, debugWIRE, JTAG.

You need a minor hardware mod for PDI and UPDI.

And then SNAP works with all OCD interfaces.