AVRap32 7000

Go To Last Post
29 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi Oh wise ones!

Has anyone any experience with the new 32 bit AT32AP7000.
I’m a newbie to MCUs and I have very little experience. 1 stamp project. :oops:
So please be kind to dump animals.
I’m starting a project with the ‘avrCam’era and was researching the Atmel product line for a master MCU.
Questions:

1)Is the AT32AP actually being used? Is it running or full of bugs?

2)Can I use the same AVR library and FREE IEEs and compilers?

3)Basically should I even consider using the AT32AP7000 I know I could use the power?

Any insight from the Masters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JR

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

I posted this on the General forum and they were kind enough to redirect me here they also were concerned regarding my experience level. I didn’t mean to leave the wrong impression. I can (barely) read a schematic. I know nothing about these micro’s and their tools. So I feel stupid. But I am a business programmer in ASM, C, C++, C#, Java, 8 versions of basic, FORTRAN, Pascal, html, ASP and have learned many new languages in 30 days.
My experience in programming started in High school in 1968 with an IBM360 mainframe, no monitor, you set 16 toggle switches and press the 'Next instruction' button to get it to boot a Card Reader or tape drive. It had a 40 character per ‘NINUTE’ printer. IT MUCH EASIER NOW!

Besides In life I’m All IN ‘AllN’. Learned long ago I win more than I lose.
JR

Welcome :-)

AllN wrote:

Has anyone any experience with the new 32 bit AT32AP7000.

I think you'll find quite a few of them hanging around here...

AllN wrote:

1)Is the AT32AP actually being used? Is it running or full of bugs?

It is running just fine. You'll find a lot of info about it in the AVR32 Board Support Package. There is a beta of BSP 2.0 which I would recommend: https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

AllN wrote:

2)Can I use the same AVR library and FREE IEEs and compilers?

nope, they're not compliant. But in the BSP you'll find a complete free GNU Toolchain

AllN wrote:

3)Basically should I even consider using the AT32AP7000 I know I could use the power?

Well, if you need a 32-bit "micro", I would give it a shot :-P Take a look at the BSP and then you'll see what you get for free.

Thanks Krangnes!
Freaks are the Best!
That's what I needed to know.
I'm downloading the beta ver. now!
Already have AVR Studio.
I'll start looking for a break-out board for the AT32AP700!!

Thanks again :lol:
JR

Well with your background, the AVR32 could be idea.
Its a full 32bit cpu, with almost anything and everything you need to build it.

It runs Linux, and supports up to 256Megabytes of DRAM.

For large storage you can use SD cards (2-4Gigabytes)
or micro-sd 1-2 Gigabytes

You can run a variety of file systems from JFFS2(For Flash) to FAT. Using NFS or Samba via ethernet.
A web server, and drivers for so many devices.

A good language to look at is python, I'd expect it to be on the avr32 soon. C/C++ is part of the standard bsp.

Look at busybox as well to get a idea of the utilities and tools that are available.

glenn.west@aarcorp.com wrote:
A good language to look at is python, I'd expect it to be on the avr32 soon.
Is available now! Cross-compiling Python for any platform is a bugger of a thing as the build process builds early binaries to build the later biniaries but has no concept of CC vs HOSTCC. There is an incomplete howto on avr32linux->LinuxApplications but more useful to me was the howto linked from that one regarding doing it for ARM. Only tested on Python 2.2.1 (muchly oldschool, yes :( ) but have had it running. Don't use Python myself, I just did it to prove I could ;)

S.

AllN wrote:
Already have AVR Studio.
I'll start looking for a break-out board for the AT32AP700!!

AVR studio isn't suitable for the AVR32 yet unfortunately. IIRC AVR32Studio is in the works. As for a breakout board for the AT32AP7000, it has a good few hundred pins so a straight break-out board is a tall order! AFAIK the only dev board currently available is the STK1000 (Check Digikey or your local Atmel distributor) but the ATNGW100 should be out soonish if you don't need the LCD and there are some 3rd party boards in the works.

S.

:roll: Thanks
:lol: Wow! That's what I'm talkin about, power. ‘Smoken’
I just bought the recomended STK1000 (kinda) it's backordered from DigiKey.
Now I won't sleep for the next few days’. Investigation Busybox & Python. Thanks for the tip.

I know enough not to ask which complier is better. It depends on the projects parameters. But

I would like to know what others are finding most productive so I can test them.
And Or anything else you think a newbie should know greatly appreciated.
Freaks really are the Best!
JR

Quote:
It is running just fine. You'll find a lot of info about it in the AVR32 Board Support Package. There is a beta of BSP 2.0 which I would recommend

AFAIK BSP 2.0 SD image won't boot out-of-the-box because of u-boot upgrade. So I'm not sure that it's the best choice for a newbie.
AVR32 Studio was scheduled for Q1 2007, so it must appear really soon :)

As far as the compiler goes...
I think if you want to use Linux as an operating system, you've got no choice but to use GCC.

IAR also has a compiler for the AVR32, but I don't know if it supports any operating system, or if it's mainly intended to be used in a freestanding (no OS) application.

lfmorrison wrote:
As far as the compiler goes...
I think if you want to use Linux as an operating system, you've got no choice but to use GCC.

IAR also has a compiler for the AVR32, but I don't know if it supports any operating system, or if it's mainly intended to be used in a freestanding (no OS) application.

True dat ;)

The IAR compiler is only useful at the moment for stand-alone apps (the same places you could use avr32-gcc rather than avr32-linux-gcc) as it doesn't have any virtual memory or privilaged instruction awareness. Given that, it can then be used under an operating sysem which doesn't use Virtual Memory and doesn't care about privilaged instructions, such as most Real-time OSs.

If you're going to be developing under Linux, which I suggest you do as a newbie, then the GCC toolchain is the way to go. If you're going to dive in to the crazy low-level world of the Real-time OS, IAR might be worth a look-see.

S.

p@k0 wrote:
Quote:
It is running just fine. You'll find a lot of info about it in the AVR32 Board Support Package. There is a beta of BSP 2.0 which I would recommend

AFAIK BSP 2.0 SD image won't boot out-of-the-box because of u-boot upgrade. So I'm not sure that it's the best choice for a newbie.
True, it won't boot out of the box. However, the BSP2.0 also ships with a neat way to upgrade uboot without any JTAGness. It is simply an executable that you rename uImage and put in the root of your SD card (replacing the Kernel image there). Uboot will then launch this binary instead of the kernel and it will proceed to upgrade your Uboot. See the BSP2.0 documentation under Upgrading U-Boot.

S.

Thanks this helps.
OK the STK1000 I’m waiting for is going to be Linux Test Bed. (25yrs ago I used Unix hope it’s about the same. I’ll use the GCC toolchain)
2nd. Test I need (for another project) with an embedded Real-time OS. & try IAR
And the tip regarding Upgrading U-Boot. :wink:

?Question?
What are others using for embedded, RTOS for the AVRAP32700.
Free and or commercial?

JR

FWIW I'm doing some work getting ERTOS ( http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au/ ) up and going for AVR32, though it's a little way down my priority list.

I thought I heard FreeRTOS had an AVR32 port but I can't see it on their website. Apart from that, it might be worth checking to see whether there's an AVR32 port of Micrium's uC/OS-II which is distributed by IAR. Tip: You don't need IAR to do stand-alone dev, the GCC will do that too. IAR might give you more optimal results but it costs a fair whack of cash too :)

S.

Thanks Squidigit

Quote:
: You don't need IAR to do stand-alone dev, the GCC will do that too. IAR might give you more optimal results but it costs a fair whack of cash too
That's really good to know.

I found Micrium's uC/OS-II and I had heard of FreeRTOS but as you pointed out can’t find it for AVR32…

Can’t find any others either? :cry:
JR

PS:
Just checked out ERTOS you suggested that looks promising!
JR

From what I've heard, ThreadX is also doing a port to AVR32 using the IAR compiler. 8)

Now checking ThreadX.
Thank you
JR

Done lots of embedded, but on a 32 bitter sticking with linux makes sense. And all you "unix"
background is usable.

Packages have changed and updated. But you dont have to "worry" about so many low level items if you use the standard "kernel".

glenn.west@aarcorp.com wrote:
Done lots of embedded, but on a 32 bitter sticking with linux makes sense. And all you "unix"
background is usable.

I was afraid of that! Even more to learn. :roll:

I need a Linux soultion for 1 project.
But Why embedded! To reduced costs and I'll never use much of the OS? I thought this chips speed might let me replace FPGA’s & FPSLIC’s used for speed and timing problems now with AVR projects where there currently embeded and not using the entire Linux kernel. I think the kernel is 2 to 4MB of memory. Two projects don’t need the extra parts or cost.
I’m probably wrong.
I don’t know very much yet.
Thanks JR

Check out this link for FreeRTOS for AVR32
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Life's to short for waiting on slow CPU's

I love this site. Here’s what I THINK I know.
For the Linux solution I’m now testing the GCC toolchain, Busybox, and Python.
Thanks to “eaanon01” I’m now testing FreeRTOS, evaluating Busybox small kernel, and ERTOS suggested by “squidgit“ for my embedded products.

I wish I could find a port of ThreadX for AVR32 to test. As NASA is using it. No Luck yet.

I’ve only slept 4 hrs a night sense I found you guys. This is so much fun.
Thanks to All responders in just 5 days I’m starting to feel much more comfortable with the tools needed to at least try and play with you guys!

Freaks are GREAT!
Thank you so much.
JR

AllN wrote:
For the Linux solution I’m now testing the GCC toolchain, Busybox, and Python.
Good call :D
AllN wrote:
... ERTOS suggested by “squidgit“ for my embedded products.
As I say, the port of this is a way down my priority list but if there is a lot of interest I'll bump it up a bit. Of course if there's anyone else out there who feels like a challenge, always up for some help!
AllN wrote:
Freaks are GREAT!
Thank you so much.
JR

Most welcome :)

S.

FYI: There will be an AVR32 port included in the FreeRTOS.org download, hopefully around April time. This uses the IAR tools.

FreeRTOS.org is now on V4.2.0, which includes some upgrades that resulted from the SafeRTOS project (see http://www.SafeRTOS.com ).

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
The de facto standard, downloaded every 3 minutes during 2016.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org/plus
IoT, Trace, Certification, TCP/IP, FAT FS, Training, and more...

r.barry wrote:
FYI: There will be an AVR32 port included in the FreeRTOS.org download, hopefully around April time. This uses the IAR tools.

FreeRTOS.org is now on V4.2.0, which includes some upgrades that resulted from the SafeRTOS project (see http://www.SafeRTOS.com ).

Regards,
Richard.

With all your guidance, I now know the number of new tools/ subjects I need to learn. So you've also set my priorities. I’m going to start building the master MCU first with the STK1000 and test the Linux tools you have suggested and wait for the industry to catch up with the AP7000 chip for the embedded projects.
Maybe ERTOS will be running by then. Normally I would jump at the chance to help squidgit. But it looks like I’ll be reading for the next 2 mounts, at least!
I love to learn, but reading is to slow. I wish I could wait for the movie. (This is like cramming for finals all over again!)
But, I can’t express enough how helpful you have all been at selecting my tools and projects sequence. This will save me months of trial and error. Time totally wasted wandering down the dark pathways of knowledge only to discover a just kidding sign, coming soon, or worst a dead-end including the dreaded cliff-of-death.
I love this site.
JR

Here is also a webcast to help you get a better understanding of AVR32 :)

(AVR32 - Redefining 32-bit Performance)
http://www.atmel.com/corporate/c...

Good luck

Of course there is a movie. :roll:
I’ve stumbled into the twilight zone or heaven?
I hope I don’t wake up if this is just a dream. I’m so tired and I don’t seem to care.
Slide show review:
1) Much faster than reading. A+
2) 1st part was marketing but … didn’t care already convinced!
3) I understand the chip's true features so much better.
4) The fog is lifting. I can’t see clearly yet! But it’s definitely lifting.

I learned a great deal in just a few minuets. That's what I'm talking about.
Now I'm going to at least try and shrink the Linux kernel down for the embedded projects too.
Thanks
JR

Here you have a video of booting the stk1000 and the next video is an example implmentation of DOOM !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c...