AVR910 Programmer v4.2

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello, my dear co-freaks.
Thanks to a related, very resent thread, I suddenly decided last night to try to upgrade the functionality of this legendary little programmer, with the -currently poor- AVRProg.exe parts support. I think I have managed to do something nice with it, but this is something that you will have to decide how usefull it could be.

I have compressed the (assembly) code enough to give me the room to add a new programming mode, the "Terminal Mode Programming".
What is this? Something I think I have not yet seen anywhere else. You will be the first to use this fancy programming mode. All you will need to do is open an ASCII capable terminal to command the programmer, and load the supplied binary to your own AVR910 board to give it a ride with this new firmware. Keep a working backup chip though! Since I have made major PCB and firmware changes, you might need to redefine the ISP PORT I/Os. It should not be difficult at all.

What is this new feature? An additional programming mode, that can access all the three Fuse bytes (Low, High and Extended), of all the ISP capable AVR devices, either being supported or not by the AVRProg.exe v1.40!
The Terminal Mode Programmer (this version) supports all the AVR of the Mega family and all the newer Tinies since t15 and t26, including them. It does not support the older Tinies and the (obsolete) AT90S family because their Fuse-bit arrangement is different. It could be done if I had more program space and time, but the AVRProg.exe itself supports natively all those oldies.

It is (poorly, I guess) documented at my Note #20, because I did not have enough time to explain everything in high detail. But the code itself is well commented, and has on-line help.
It might also be buggy, since I started it a few hours ago(!), but I was able to successfully change (almost) every Fuse bit of a tiny2313, which is not supported at all by the AVRProg.exe v1.40.

Though it should be fine, this piece of code is new and not fully tested yet.
Also, do not even think of blaming me if you manage to disable any of your target AVRs, giving the wrong value to sensitive Fuses, like the RSTDISBL or the SPIEN. Refer to the their Data Sheets before issuing any Fuse-bit changes.

I think that I've said enough for the moment, so grab a copy of this firmware and start playing with it! I am waiting for your feedback.

George.

Attachment(s): 

I hope for nothing; I fear nothing; I am free. (Nikos Kazantzakis)

Brilliant !!! Thank You ! Long live the AVR910 :-)

/J

Thank you, J!

It is a new program, because I did not just add a new module to it but I had the whole code rearranged in order to fit into 2KB space. I also expect it not to be free of bugs. I hope it is, but I have not tested it extensively yet.

So, I would be happy if I had a possible bug/misbehaviour report, to fix it before uploading it to the Academy.
I would also like to have functionality improvement suggestions. The original chip (S2313) is too old and already full, so I will have to use a newer and bigger chip, and adapt the code accordingly. I guess that the Academy Section can wait a little bit more...

George.

I hope for nothing; I fear nothing; I am free. (Nikos Kazantzakis)