AVR910 and programming speed

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,
I have made a AVR910 programmer (hw) by Klaus Leidinger http://www.klaus-leidinger.de/mp/Mikrocontroller/AVR-Prog/AVR-Programmer.html
I have tested it with Avr-OspII, Avrdude and Avrprog.
Baudrate is 115200.

With Avr-OspII writting 8 kB into M8-flash takes 9 seconds.
The same with Avrdude.

But Avrprog from Studio does it in 4 seconds.

Why this remarkable difference?

Because AvrProg probably uses a bit more intelligence.

Try programming the same file via CodeVision. It will take even longer. It all comes down to the sequence of programming instructions that are sent.

Personally, I can live with the extra 4 seconds. But I think that this is the explanation.

David.

Hi David,
Thanks for quick answer.
With age growing I tend to save every second.

No, seriously I do not care about programming time as much. It was only my curiosity.

Not that I can read German, but it looks as if it uses v38b software. This will report back that it can do page programming, and most intelligent things.

The original AVR910 would not understand some of these modern requests. So CodeVision for example just plays safe.

Report back with the CodeVision time. It may be worse than avrdude. (I would have assumed avrdude would attempt the modern requests)

Otherwise, I think that your AVR910 is a very handy tool. And you can program the Atmel 8051 parts like AT89S8252 and AT89S52.

David.

Quote:
looks as if it uses v38b software

Yes, the exact file is here http://www.klaus-leidinger.de/mp...

I have tested with CodeVision.
Writting 8 kbytes takes 14 sec there.

I suppose I could sniff the exchanges between avrdude and the AVR910 programmer, and compare with AvrProg's conversation.

If I were to be using AVR910 to program a full Mega128, I might think it worth improving the speed. But for smaller AVR programs it seems fast enough.

David.