AVR32 Studio 2.1.0 BETA released

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Atmel has made available for download from http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware BETA versions of AVR32 Studio 2.1.0 and AVR32 GNU Toolchain 2.1.3.

Please visit the download page for details. Currently the following operating systems/distributions have been tested:
* Windows XP SP2 (32-bit)
* Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit)
* Fedora 8 (32-bit) and 9 (32 and 64-bit)
* Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 (both 32-bit)
* OpenSUSE 11.0 (32-bit)

More versions to come. Please let us know if you have problems with the beta version, either installation or use. The udev.rules file for Ubuntu 7.10 is known to be incorrect, please change SUBSYSTEM=="usb" to SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device" if using this distribution.

Any positive feedback is also appreciated, of course. :-)

-Tore

Hi,
what about Fedora 10 and Ubuntu 8.10?
That are the newest distributions :-)

BR,
Kurt

Well, both toolchain and AVR32 Studio runs fine on my machine :) I am running Ubuntu 8.10.

Hans-Christian

I saw the AP7000 framework :D .

But, not a lot of support for the NGW100 :cry:

-drt

Hi Kurt,

Ubuntu 8.10 packages are in the pipe, and we're about to test on Fedora 10 as well.

-Tore

Had a project (standalone UC3B1256, no USB bootloader) that built under 2.0.2 and now has linker erros under 2.0.99

The following errors were generated:

avr32-gcc -mpart=uc3b1256 -Wl,--gc-sections --rodata-writable --direct-data -oEnvProc.elf uc3serial.o uc3io.o envsup.o envproc.o commands.o cmex.o
    uc3serial.o: In function `serial_open':
    C:\AVRWork\EnvProc\Debug/..\uc3serial.c:519/: undefined reference to `register_interrupt'
    cmex.o: In function `setup_timer':
    C:\AVRWork\EnvProc\Debug/..\cmex.c:165: undefined reference to `register_interrupt'
    C:\AVRWork\EnvProc\Debug/..\cmex.c:165: undefined reference to `init_interrupts'
    cmex.o: In function `run_kernel':
    C:\AVRWork\EnvProc\Debug/..\cmex.c:361: undefined reference to `set_interrupts_base'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Build error occurred, build is stopped

Any ideas where those built-in routines went to, and how to restore them?

Also, it was nice to see that all those pointless duplicate constant definitions were eliminated (such as using a single AVR32_PDCA_IER_RCZ_MASK versus the same value for IER0, IER1, etc) but I wish you guys would make up your minds.

Well , all that i am dreamin of is a framework support for the AP7000 (especially for the NGW100) we need something like EVK110x !

Quote:
Well , all that i am dreamin of is a framework support for the AP7000 (especially for the NGW100) we need something like EVK110x !

AP7000 software framework is present in 2.1 beta, but board support is so far only STK1000. Should be doable to convert that to NGW100.

Hans-Christian

well actually i am little new for the AVR32s , but i am againts Starter Kits overs 500 buks !

I dont knwo why Atmel doesnt provide the complete solution for all it s board ... i know that it provides a patched linux to run on ap7000, but personally i dont think that if someone will use uC , will need linux on them (and here come the question about the lake of assembly language support for AVR32) , if someone need Linux or some OS like that for more sofesticated application he will surely use INTEL DUAL and QUAD CORES running on 3GHz clocks!
So i thin that a microcontroller or microprocessor made from Atmel , will be dedicated to be programmed with assembly with no complicated work , (i mean passing throu linux Kernel).

Just make a comparaison between PIC32 and AVR32 , then u will understand what i am talkil about .

;)

ahmedjouirou: Wow get some target practice.... LOL you are way off point here...

I did take a look on PIC32 and it competes in a complete different league.....

I could say more but I wont bother...

Life's to short for waiting on slow CPU's

yes i know , i just mentionned the products of microchip and intel (and personally i prefere ATMEL products especially 8-bit RISCs ones) why 8-bit riscs , it s that beceause i can program them easely using assembly , every thing is clear , registers , memories...

I asked the question before in the forum, how can i program AVR32 in assembly , the answer was , u can fin some code in some IAR examples...

Well , if there was any official ,support for assembly in avr32 studio this would be great!

When i bougth the NGW100 i thougth that i was able to do this

'ldi r16,0x11223344' u saw what i am talkin about ..... :p

You can use: avr32-as or avr32-gcc directly for this purpose. (.s files)

I also thing that in avr32studio you can make a C projct and then add .s files for assembly dircetly.

Life's to short for waiting on slow CPU's

Yes i know that , but using inline commands for compiling do you thing thats a good solution that Atmel provide? (i know that it works well, but it's not a good solution that ATMEL gives...)

then you told me that i can add .S file for assembly , i know that it's possible , but it's not mentionned in a whole user guide , there s no 'New->Project->Assemby' then i work as it worked on AVR 8bit.

I know that there s always a solution for solving that problem . but all i am asking for ,is that atmel makes AVR32 studio support assembly.

Personally i think that it's not correct to make ONLY a high level software support (C/C++) for a uC , to be a good dealer with uC u NEED to program it in ASM not in C/C++ , cuz C/C++ doesnt show the data transfer between registers , peripherals.....

SO PLEASE ATMEL , AS YOU MADE A GREAT ASM SUPPORT FOR 8BIT RISCs , WE NEED ALSO A SIMILAR ASM SUPPORT FOR AVR32s .
:p

There are no problem programming in assembly directly, I've even heard about people making a USB stack for AP7000 in assembly.

On the other hand, you gain nothing by writing your stuff in assembly. GCC does a very good job in optimizing C and C++ code. And readability of C and C++ code is way better than assembly IMHO.

As eaanon01 points out, there is no problem writing assembler files, GCC expects them to end on .s, if you end them on .S it will run the macro machine on the files before running the assembler.

Quote:
'ldi r16,0x11223344' u saw what i am talkin about ..... :p

You need to read the architecture manual, just as you had to do with 8-bit AVRs :)

But, enough off topic, this thread is about AVR32 Studio 2.1.0 Beta :)

Hans-Christian

btw the new 2.1.0 without the beta is out as of yesterday.. the associated new toolchain however is available only for fedora so far

ahmedjouirou wrote:

then you told me that i can add .S file for assembly , i know that it's possible , but it's not mentionned in a whole user guide , there s no 'New->Project->Assemby' then i work as it worked on AVR 8bit.

Why dont you assembler programmers just download IAR, it has the assembler template, assembler documentation, assembler directives, Avrstudio 4 look and feel so what is the problem ;-)
AFAIK there is no code limit in the assembler and linker.