AVR32 AP7000 Documentation and EAGLE library

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Finally, I've finished my EAGLE library for the AP7000.

It was quite a job, as the Atmel manuals did not contain good overviews over the BGA pinout, and because different names were used for the same signal in different places. (And, there was a few doc errors too). I had to dive deep into the 900+ page datasheet to sort it all out.

I've tried to cover the shortcomings of the AP7000 datasheet, by creating some sorted lists with BGAball/signalname crossreferences as well as a Ball layout picture with all signals and color coding on selected signals.

Feedback on this is much appreciated, especially if you find any errors in the documentation or library.

Attachment(s): 

/Jesper
http://www.yampp.com
The quick black AVR jumped over the lazy PIC.
What boots up, must come down.

Hi Jesper.
Thats really cool...
How soon are you planning to spin a board using the AP7000, are you planning to make any of this (boards/design) open source?
I was thinking of doing something with this part (my previous post has some info)

Hi Jesper.

I have just managed to import your symbol into EasyPC okay. Some text was rotated 180 but to he honest the rest of it looks fantastic. Great work.

How come you have gone for square pads? Is there any technical reason? I was thinking that 0.40mm round pads would give a little bit more space for tracks?

Great symbol though, thanks

Thanks, Jesper -- nice work!

jesper wrote:
Finally, I've finished my EAGLE library for the AP7000.

It was quite a job, as the Atmel manuals did not contain good overviews over the BGA pinout, and because different names were used for the same signal in different places. (And, there was a few doc errors too). I had to dive deep into the 900+ page datasheet to sort it all out.

I've tried to cover the shortcomings of the AP7000 datasheet, by creating some sorted lists with BGAball/signalname crossreferences as well as a Ball layout picture with all signals and color coding on selected signals.

Feedback on this is much appreciated, especially if you find any errors in the documentation or library.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT :-)
why did you not send this LBR to eagle-hompage (cadsoft.com) i searched there but found anything......

Frank

Wow, Jesper you are the Man!!!
Way cool!
Thanks,
John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

Good stuff! Does anyone else here use Altium DXP? I've been working up a SCH/PCB library as well, and I can post it when I'm done if anyone else has a use for it. I plan on splitting the AP7000 SCH symbol into separate blocks for every peripheral, to make schematic sheets more manageable (8.5 x 11 sheets)

Also, if there are DXP users, I can tell you my super secret way to get DXP 2004 running in Linux. I ditched Windows (forever!) a few months ago, DXP was my only Windows app that I absolutely needed.

I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

ninevoltz9 wrote:
Good stuff! Does anyone else here use Altium DXP? I've been working up a SCH/PCB library as well, and I can post it when I'm done if anyone else has a use for it. I plan on splitting the AP7000 SCH symbol into separate blocks for every peripheral, to make schematic sheets more manageable (8.5 x 11 sheets)

Also, if there are DXP users, I can tell you my super secret way to get DXP 2004 running in Linux. I ditched Windows (forever!) a few months ago, DXP was my only Windows app that I absolutely needed.

That's nice to hear, can you post the chnages in AP7000 LBR here ?? I planed this also, nut now i can spend my time on something else.....decoding FSK, Selectiv call etc on AP7000

What did you mean with DXP ???

Frank

DXP is Altium Designer, a commercial ECAD package. The best one ever written in my humble opinion, and I've tried a lot of them. Eagle or gEDA is probably the best for the hobby user though.

http://www.altium.com/Products/A...

Altium designer is probably the best program as you said , but is VERY expensive!!!

Regards,
Viron.

Altium is hella-expensive but I do agree it's great. Better than PADS imho and that's even more expensive.

(here's a tip, you might be able to get a discount on Altium Designer if you agree to write an "Altium is the best and I love it" kinda speil ;) )

@ninevoltz9 How did you end up running DXP under Linux? Which version of DXP (I've got 2006 and man it's nice, but eats resources :( )

-S.

We never upgraded from DXP 2004 (no $$$) but I run it in Linux now under Wine. It is actually very usable. There are a few annoyances that I manage to work around, but otherwise it is as stable as it is on Windows. If you want to try it, I wrote a little how-to on the Wine AppDB. Basically you have to use ies4linux to get Internet Exploder loaded (since it is integrated into DXP) then install DXP. It's actually pretty straightforward. If you try it, let me know how 2006 behaves, or add to the AppDB if you want.

The issues I've found are:
Scroll bar thumbs don't work when you drag them in schematic view (mouse wheel works, and the scroll bar buttons do too)

Camtastic doesn't work right at all, I use an old copy of CAM350 instead, I like it better anyway.

PCB3D won't generate component models, but will show the board. I think this feature is kind of useless anyway.

PCB layout, you have to do an xrefresh after it loads because the screen blacks out for a second and doesn't refresh (PCB uses DirectX). After that everything is fine.

Everything else works very well, including the autorouter. I've only done one board design since I started using it in Linux, but I came out just fine. I'm just happy to get away from Windows!

Oh, I forgot to mention, forget about using the nanoboard if you have it, the driver is probably never going to work in Linux. I don't use mine, so I don't care (we got it free as a promotion, never used it)

Brilliant, cheers for the tip. Shall dig up my CDs and give it a whirl.

Regards!
-S.

Here's my Schematic and PCB library for the AP7000.

I'd like to add IBIS models to it if anyone has any tips on creating them.

Here's my Schematic and PCB library for the AP7000.

I'd like to add IBIS models to it if anyone has any tips on creating them.

Part    Function
A       PORT A GPIO
B       PORT B GPIO
C       PORT C GPIO
D       PORT D GPIO
E       PORT E GPIO
F       Synchronous Serial Ports
G       I2C
H       USART Serial Ports
I       PS/2 Ports
J       Multimedia Card
K       Image Sensor Interface
L       Audio
M       Ethernet
N       LCD Controller
O       USB
P       Power
Q       JTAG
R       Power Manager
S       External Bus Interface
T       SPI Ports
U       External Interrupts
V       Nexus OCD
W       Timer Counters
X       DMA Controller
Y       PWM

Attachment(s): 

Cheers for the lib ninevoltz9, i was going to do it myself....thanks a lot saved me some time,,,