AVR Studio v4.12.461 SP1 released (revision update)

Go To Last Post
86 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

AVR Studio 4.12, build 460 (46MB): http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as...
AVR Studio 4.12, Service Pack 1, build 461 (7.7MB): http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as...
AVR Studio 4.12 Service Pack 1 Release Notes: http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as...

AVR Studio 4.12.450 RC1 Change log:

New part support added:
 ATTiny26B (ICE50)
 ATtiny46 (ICE50)
 ATtiny86 (ICE50)
 ATmega640 (JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
 ATmega1280 (JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
 ATmega1281 (ICE50,JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
 AT90CAN32 (ICE50,JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
 AT90CAN64 (ICE50,JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
All the above parts are supported by simulator and AVRASM2.

Features:

Data breakpoints with hit count and program breakpoints with hit count are now supported on ICE50, JTAGICE mkII and simulator. The breakpoint system is now redesigned to be more robust and reliable. Also introducing a new fully customizable breakpoints and tracepoints window to offer a convenient overview and easy navigating between all breakpoints and tracepoints. Data breakpoints can easily be set by drag’n drop variables from the source editor and memory windows to the breakpoints and tracepoints window.

Program breakpoints can now be set with run-time hit counts. Data breakpoints can be set to break on read or/and write access to any memory location, including numerous conditions as larger than, less than, equal to and range. All the breakpoints can be used as watch-points, and are always properly saved and restored between project sessions even if source files are modified.

Please note that support level vary between the different debug platforms. See the actual user guides for more information about support details.

Integrated development with any AVR GCC compiler is now supported with AVR Studio. WinAVR or any other AVR GCC compiler must be downloaded and installed separately, but with IDE support in AVR Studio you can easily and fast get started with C code development and debugging. Please refer to the AVR GCC IDE user guide for more information.

The user interface has been improved with a new docking system called smart docking. Using a new docking mechanism, you will see exactly where the dragged window can be docked. Small markers will indicate sides where the bar can be docked. This is default on, but may be turned off to use the old docking method.  With detachable tab windows you can place and group your windows wherever you want. Also introducing workspace configuration that let you easily save and restore your desktop set-up.

AVR Studio now supports the new AVRISP mkII that offer USB, more robust and faster programming. See the user guide for more information.

AVR Studio now supports the MicroC/OS-II RTOS plug-in that is distributed in an own package.

A new version of the USB driver is included. Version 7.01.

Giorgos.

EDIT 1 (Oct 03): Program revision update, from 4.12.450 RC1 to 4.12.451 RC1
EDIT 2 (Oct 03): Program revision update, from 4.12.451 RC1 to 4.12.452 RC1
EDIT 3 (Oct 07): Program revision update, from 4.12.452 RC1 to 4.12.453 RC2
Fixes in build 453:
* Fixed errornous case-sensitiveness for symbol lookups that caused problems for assembly watch.
* Now saves separately the progmode that was last used by the JTAGICE mkII. Defaults to JTAG mode. Enhanced error messages.
* Fixed bug regarding I/O breakpoints. Now works.
* Fixed problem with space in project name.
* Fix in trace filter dialog

EDIT 4 (Oct 14): Program revision update, from 4.12.453 RC2 to 4.12.454 RC3
Fixes in build 454:
* Fixed performance and network problems. Projects with many files could experience major performance problems.
* ICE50 trace fix. Bug in mapping between trace data and source.
* COFF parser fix. Bug in source file mapping for functions returning pointers.
* Simulator fix. bug when using 2 AVR Studio simulator sessions at the same time.
* Fixed bug with auto open feature.
* Fixed problem that could cause network traffic on idle.
* Fixed bug in "old" plugin-in's. Bug could cause hang when using context menus.
* Various fixes in AVR-GCC project
- Bug fixed: Error messages referring to line:column not recognized.
- Enhancements: Added 'edit' button for editing options. resized optionslistbox to make room for longer options.
Double-click event on optionslistbox edits item.
- Bug fixed: renaming configuration could cause make problems.
- Bug fixed: problem with superfluous spaces.
- Order of include directories is now reflected in the build.
- Bug fixed: Add multiple libraries did not work.
- Bug fixed: Crash when changing stack settings.
- Bug fixed: removed -o option for build steps.
- Bug fixed: Better error handling for invalid configuration names.

EDIT 5 (Oct 30): Program revision update, from 4.12.454 RC3 to v4.12.456 RC4
fixes in build 454:
* Fixed performance and network problems. Projects with many files could experience major performance problems.
* ICE50 trace fix. Bug in mapping between trace data and source.
* COFF parser fix. Bug in source file mapping for functions returning pointers.
* Simulator fix. bug when using 2 AVR Studio simulator sessions at the same time.
* Fixed bug with auto open feature.
* Fixed problem that could cause network traffic on idle.
* Fixed bug in "old" plugin-in's. Bug could cause hang when using context menus.
* Various fixes in AVR-GCC project
- Bug fixed: Error messages referring to line:column not recognized.
- Enhancements: Added 'edit' button for editing options. resized optionslistbox to make room for longer options.
- Double-click event on optionslistbox edits item.
- Bug fixed: renaming configuration could cause make problems.
- Bug fixed: problem with superfluous spaces.
- Order of include directories is now reflected in the build.
- Bug fixed: Add multiple libraries did not work.
- Bug fixed: Crash when changing stack settings.
- Bug fixed: removed -o option for build steps.
- Bug fixed: Better error handling for invalid configuration names.

EDIT 6 (Nov 04): Program revision update, from v4.12.456 RC4 to v4.12.460
Huge change log of build 460:
* Part support
- ATTiny261 (ICE50)
- ATtiny461 (ICE50)
- ATtiny861 (ICE50, JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
- ATmega640 (JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
- ATmega1280 (JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
- ATmega1281 (ICE50,JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
- AT90CAN32 (ICE50,JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
- AT90CAN64 (ICE50,JTAGICE mkII, STK500, AVRISP)
All the above parts are supported by simulator and AVRASM2. See the simulator section for more details about support details.
* Features
- Breakpoints
Data breakpoints with hit count and program breakpoints with hit count are now supported on ICE50, JTAGICE mkII and simulator. The breakpoint system is now redesigned to be more robust and reliable. Alsointroducing a new, fully customizable breakpoints and tracepoints window to offer a convenient overview and easy navigating
between all breakpoints and tracepoints.
Data breakpoints can easily be set by drag’n drop variables from the sourceeditor and memory windows to the breakpoints and tracepoints window. Program breakpoints can now be set with run-time hitcounts. Data breakpoints can be set to break on read or/and write access to any memory location, including numerous conditions as larger than, less than, equal to and range. All the breakpoints can be used as watch-points, and are always properly saved and restored between project sessions even if source files are modified.
Please note that support level vary between the different debug platforms.
See the actual user guides for more information about support details.
- Integrated AVR GCC compiler
Integrated development with any AVR GCC compiler is now supported with AVR Studio. WinAVR or any other AVR GCC compiler must be downloaded and installed separately, but with IDE support in AVR Studio you can easily and fast get started with C code development and debugging.
Please refer to the AVR GCC IDE user guide for more information.
- Docking System
The user interface has been improved with a new docking system called smart docking. Using a new docking mechanism, you will see exactly where the dragged window can be docked. Small markers will indicate sides where the bar can be docked. This is default on, but may be turned off to use the old docking method. With detachable tab windows you can place and group your
windows wherever you want. Also introducing workspace configuration that let you easily save and restore your desktop set-up.
- AVRISP mkII
AVR Studio now supports the new AVRISP mkII that offer USB, more robust and faster programming. See the User Guide for more information. Available from Atmel, Q4, 2005.
- RTOS
AVR Studio now supports the MicroC/OS-II RTOS plug-in that is distributed in an own package. Available from Atmel, Q4, 2005.
- USB driver
A new version of the USB driver is included. Version 7.01.

EDIT 7 (Dec 08): AVR Studio v4.12.461 Service Pack 1 released:
Change log of Service Pack 1 build 461: http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as...

I hope for nothing; I fear nothing; I am free. (Nikos Kazantzakis)

Last Edited: Thu. Dec 8, 2005 - 08:31 AM

Sounded nearly too good to be true. I downloaded right away, installed and made the ubiquotous Windows restart. And...

it just worked!

No hassles. No hours of flabbergasting obscurities. And, this was a 1 minute test only. Lots of stuff to try out. But it seems to work!

And the new docking system is nice.

Sorry, but I have to shout: Thank You, Atmel!

Edit: The release notes say

Quote:
Please refer to the AVR GCC IDE user guide for more information.

but this document/section is missing (as is the "simulator Users Guide"). Not a catastrophe as everything seems pretty clear/intuitive if You are used to working with WinAVR utilities like Mfile.

Edit 2: Well, the section is in the installed tree, but the link to it in the end of the release notes is broken (and I cant find it in the help tree). Go hunt for the file avr-gcc_pluginhelp.chm in the directory C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\Help (or something similar depending on how/where You installed AVR Studio.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I'm very happy with 4.11....so I'll wait untill everyone else gets the bugs out of 4.12 before I use it :-) and also wonder if assembler V2 has been fixed so that my code works on it like on V1.7x...still using the old assemler which works for me.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Hi Giorgos,

The link you have posted semms to be broken, I've gone even in the root http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/, but no way.

Have a nice day

Pippo

the link works, I just downloading it with no problem.

Hi Pippo.

The link is still alive for me. I guess there is a DNS issue for your node.
A possible workaround would be to delete your internet cache (ie. temporary internet files), and try to reconnect to the root http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

If this does not work for you, I guess you will have to wait a couple of days, until your ISP proxy updates its own DNS cache.

Quote:
The link is still alive for me. I guess there is a DNS issue for your node.

No, the link was dead for a while (at least around 08:00 GMT), but it was alive and well less than an hour later.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I was not aware of that.
Thank you Johan.

JohanEkdahl wrote:
No, the link was dead for a while (at least around 08:00 GMT), but it was alive and well less than an hour later.

The reason for this is that we had to do a minor update.after the initial upload. The observant user will notice that the version available now has build number 451. (the text on the website is still not updated but the software is).

Edit: The latest build number is now 452. Most users having downloaded 450 or 451 don't need to update (see release note on download site).

Please bear over with us. After all, we haven't announced this software being available yet (but soon will).

--
roland

Last Edited: Mon. Oct 3, 2005 - 01:30 PM

It is OK Roland, I will update this thread's title.

Thanks for your effort,
Giorgos.

Giorgos_K wrote:

AVR Studio now supports the MicroC/OS-II RTOS plug-in that is distributed in an own package.

Does anyone know who is providing this plug-in? Atmel or Micrium?

Regards,
Schimmi

The plug-in is developed by Micrium on Atmels request. It contains full kernel awareness when debugging applications based on the uC/OS-II micro-kernel.

The plug-in will be available through the normal Atmel AVR Tools sales channels. It will be sold as a kit containing the Micrium uC/OS-II textbook, a CD-ROM containing the source of the kernel and an additional CD-ROM containing kernel ports for ATmega2560 and other AVR controllers as well as the AVR Studio plug-in. I think the recommended resale price for the kit will be $69, and it will be available within 2-3 weeks.

More information will be available at www.atmel.com and on this forum soon. It is a nice kit both for learning more about real time kernels as well as doing serious development and debugging. The combination STK500/503/JTAGICE mkII is a good set-up for exploring the capabilities of the kit.

$69 gives you all you need for developing FW based on uC/OS-II. For use in commercial applications there is a one time royalty fee for each product, collected by Micrium.

Regards Dag @ Atmel.

Is this "AVRISP mkII" going to obsolete all the existing AVRISP programmers?

Are we going to be stuck in the same rut with the existing AVRISP programmers as we are with the mature JTAG ICE? (ie. no support for new devices unless you shell out the moola for a new mkII programmer, even though the target-side hardware interface is identical?)

file wont completely download for me.
I've tried 3 different browsers/ftp clients and 3 differnet computes..

goes to 98-99% percent and freezes..

has anyone mirrored it yet?

This is an unregistered version of Bullet Proof FTP V2.45.  You have 30 days left to evaluate it.
It is not crippled in any way, it will just stop working when your evaluation period is up.
Use Help|Purchase to purchase BPFTP, which will enable you to use it after the 30 day period.
URL detected in clipboard.
Connecting to www.atmel.no port 80
Requesting http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as4/b450/AvrStudio4Setup.exe
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:45:53 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:55:26 GMT
ETag: "29c7442-2d4ac1f-43412a3e"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 47492127
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
X-Pad: avoid browser bug

Downloading http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as4/b450/AvrStudio4Setup.exe
Server closed control connection.
46,967,456 bytes transferred in 00:07:27, 105,072 bytes/sec
Delaying for 10 seconds before reconnect...

Reconnecting - try #1
Requesting http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as4/b450/AvrStudio4Setup.exe
HTTP/1.1 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:07:12 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:55:26 GMT
ETag: "29c7442-2d4ac1f-43412a3e"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 0
Content-Range: bytes */47492127
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/octet-stream

Error retrieving file.
Data Connection closed

hmm i ran the incomplete file i had and it installed correctly.

Is it true that this version has a built in gcc compiler?

From the original post:

Quote:
Integrated development with any AVR GCC compiler is now supported with AVR Studio. WinAVR or any other AVR GCC compiler must be downloaded and installed separately,

icctrainguy wrote:
Is it true that this version has a built in gcc compiler?

No, not quite but almost. From the release notes for this version of AVR Studio (also quoted in the first post in this thread):

Quote:
Integrated development with any AVR GCC compiler is now supported with AVR Studio.

What this means is that AVR Studio can control the AVR GCC compiler. You can edit Your source files in Studio, You can control project settings from within Studio (no need to edit any makefile manually), You build Your application from within Studio, You run Your app in the Studio simulator, and You program Your app into the target AVR from studio (given that You have programming hardware that Studio can control).

The AVR GCC compiler does not come with Studio. You'll have to get that separately. The good news is that it is free, and that You can download an installation package from here. The thing You should look for is the WinAVR package.

Download WinAVR and install it. Install the new Studio. Create a new project and select "AVR GCC" as project type and Youre flying.

JohanEkdahl wrote:
it just worked!

No hassles. No hours of flabbergasting obscurities. And, this was a 1 minute test only. Lots of stuff to try out. But it seems to work!

It must be that the alpha testers did a good job.

Don

Looks like I got the AVR bug at just the right time!
Now I will download this and try programming the things using gcc.

update:
Well, I went and got this and installed it..it works.
I typed in a c program and got it to compile and simulate.
Heck, this is all I need right here...why spend good money
on a C compiler when this works so well.

I used the first c program from that book "C programming for Microcontrollers" I commented out the delays so it would run
fast in the simulator.
it runs fine after fixin up a tiny flaw. (i <= 128 should be i < 128 otherwise bit 7 lights up twice as long as the rest do)

// Blinky.c

#include
#include

int main (void)
{
int i;
DDRD = 0xFF;
while(1)
for(i = 1; i < 128; i = i*2)
{
PORTD = i;
// _delay_loop_2(30000);
}

for(i = 128; i > 1; i -= i/2)
{
PORTD = i;
// _delay_loop_2(30000);
}
}
}

Ah... Cool! I missed that, it would light LED 7 in the loop interation when i == 64 and the i*2 makes it 128, and then it would continue to light it in the next loop interation because i == 128.

Smiley

Quote:
Is this "AVRISP mkII" going to obsolete all the existing AVRISP programmers?

**PANIC MODE ON** which AVRISP mkII are you referring to? :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

This kicks so much butt. Yay for Atmel, finally.

It's a mighty small flaw there smiley, I would not have noticed it
had I not single steped it out on the simulator.

Hi John.

Quote:
**PANIC MODE ON** which AVRISP mkII are you referring to? :-)

The USB ATAVRISP mkII, the successor of the well known $29 ATAVRISP.
It has been anounced for the Q4 of this year. Here is a picture of it https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... from the AVR Studio 4.12 help files.
I do know anything more...

Giorgos.

EDIT: Of course I meant to write "I do not know anything more..."

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 5, 2005 - 12:26 AM

Quote:
USB ATAVRISP mkII, the successor of the well known $29 ATAVRISP

Well....a bit more relaxed now...it may just be a ATAVRISP with a built in USB adaptor chip in it...or so I hope :roll:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Cosmac_Elf wrote:
It's a mighty small flaw there smiley, I would not have noticed it
had I not single steped it out on the simulator.

Yeah, small flaw, but what kind of fool has an error like that in a book on C programming?

Oh, wait a minute...

Never mind,
Smiley

smileymicros wrote:

Yeah, small flaw, but what kind of fool has an error like that in a book on C programming?

Smiley - it's not a flaw but rather an exercise for the student to identify the error.

Don

While it sounds that stuff should 'just work', it doesn't for me. I'm a newbie at winavr and working with smileys book to get going.

However, I've got blinky working using winavr/programmers notepad without a hitch, straight sailing. My butterfly is blinking away as I type :-). Simulation does work fine too, loading the coff file into AVR studio.

I then created a new gcc project in AVR Studio (in a new directory), copied blinky.c over and added it to the project. When I hit 'build' it goes off and starts to build and display the following errors:

rm -rf Blinky.o  Blinky.elf dep/ Blinky.hex Blinky.eep Blinky.lss Blinky.map
Build succeeded with 0 Warnings...
avr-gcc -I"C:\WinAVR\include"  -mmcu=atmega169 -Wall -gdwarf-2           -O0  -funsigned-char  -funsigned-bitfields  -fpack-struct  -fshort-enums  -Wp,-M,-MP,-MT,Blinky.o,-MF,dep/Blinky.o.d  -c   ../Blinky.c -o Blinky.o
../Blinky.c: In function `main':
../Blinky.c:16: error: 'for' loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode
../Blinky.c:22: error: redefinition of 'i'
../Blinky.c:16: error: previous definition of 'i' was here
../Blinky.c:22: error: 'for' loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode
make: *** [Blinky.o] Error 1
Build failed with 5 errors and 0 warnings...

Markus

Markus

Quote:
loading the coff file into AVR studio

This seems to indicate that You are using an old version of WinAVR (as the recommended debug format has changed from COFF to ELF/DWARF). What version of WinAVR are You using?

Could You please post (attach) blinky.c exactly as it looks when You get the above errors?

As far as I know my version of winavr is the most recent (20050214).
Here my blinky.c (cut & paste out of studio):

// Blinky.c

#include 
#include 

void wait(void);

int main (void)
{

// set PORTD for output
	DDRD = 0xFF;

while(1)
	{

for(int i = 1; i <= 128; i = i*2)
		{
			PORTD = i;
			_delay_loop_2(30000);
		}	

for(int i = 128; i > 1; i -= i/2)
		{
			PORTD = i;
			_delay_loop_2(30000);
		}	

}

}

- The above blinky.c was copied from smileys CD
- The same file works file with winavr

Markus

Markus

Markus,

You'll save some brain cells if you do as I recommend in the book and use only the older versions of the software available on the CD and on the website. The new stuff is great, but it is hard enough to learn C on the Butterfly without adding to it trying to use different tools. I'd recommend that when you finish what you want from the book and the old software, then archive it somewhere safe in case you need to return to it, then download all the latest and greatest stuff to play with.

Smiley

Hi Smiley,

I'm fully aware of the time I loose and the risks I take by using bleeding-edge release candidates. I'm going forward in my c learning excercise using the nicely working winavr toolset.

Using only one tool however (AVR Studio) for everything is worth trying for me as I have not yet invested a lot in something else. In addition reading this very thread seened to indicate that it works. So I give it a try.

Markus

Markus

The C standard has gone through many revisions through the years. Once upon a time, it was illegal to declare the counting index of a for() loop inside the loop declaration itself. That is, you could do:

int i;
for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
}

but you couldn't do:

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
}

A newer version of the standard (C99) will allow that construct: the counting variable i would have to be previously undeclared within the scope of the function, and after the end of the for() loop i would cease to exist again.

avr-gcc can be tweaked at compile-time to adhere to different sets of C standards, according to the user's preferences.

The default makefile that you will have used with Smiley's book included options to turn on C99 support. The makefile that AVR Studio generates apparently does not enable C99 standard support.

I'd suggest that you aren't doing anything wrong; looking through the Configuration Options dialog box, it's clear that right now AVR Studio doesn't include an automatic way to define the C standard level; it is possible to add a custom flag in the Custom Settings tab, but a beginner shouldn't have to know that.

IMHO, this is a shortcoming of this Release Candidate, and that hopefully the final release won't suffer from it.

In the mean time, you could tweak the C standards support manually, or else you could make some trivial changes to the source code so that it adheres to a previous standard, or else you could do as Smiley says, and stick with the tools that are supported by his book.

- Luke

Ah, I see. Its not a problem with AVR Studio as such. Smiley has written code that demands that the compiler works with the gnu99 standard, and Studio does not set this up by default. The code that causes the problem is

for(int i = 1; i <= 128; i = i*2)

The compiler does not like that You define i in the control block of the for statement. You can solve this either by moving the definition of i outside the parenthesis

int i;
for(i = 1; i <= 128; i = i*2)
for(i = 128; i > 1; i -= i/2)

or by setting the -std=gnu99 option for the project. To do this:
1. In the Project menu, select Configuration options
2. On the left, click Custom options
3. In the field just to the left of the Add-button, type -std=gnu99, and click Add. (What You typed should be added in the list above where You typed it).
5. Exit the dialog with OK and rebuild.
Better?

Edit: Beaten by lfmorrison once again. Still, theres seems to be other stuff that prevents use of the c99 standard for this program, so stick with -std=gnu99!

Hi Luke,

moving the definition of i outside the for statement as you suggest makes my blinky compile !
If I add -std=c9x to the custom conguration options it work also. (Yup, I've been reading gcc docs in the meantime).

Hovever I've compared the CFLAGS used by Studio with the CFLAGS in the makefile and they are the same.

Markus

Markus

Hello,

I saw the post about the new avr studio release and, as it can
be used as IDE for winavr could not resist.

Everything seems fine, but when, after compiling, I upload the
code to the ATTiny26 on the STK500 with "Use current simulator
flash memory", the upload takes a fraction of a second: not good
(and it doesn't work...). There is also no error message of any kind.

When uploading the generated hex file with "Input Hex file",
it functions properly.

Any ideas ?

Geert

In the Project Options dialog for a GCC project, I've added [Linker Options] in the Custom Options tab.

The linker options I've added are:

--defsym=spp_start=0
--section-start=.text=0x1800

However, these options don't get passed to the linker. I had to modify them as follows for them to work:

-Wl,--defsym=spp_start=0
-Wl,--section-start=.text=0x1800

I have two requests relative to Custom Options:

1. Allow for editing of options
  2. Make the option list window wider and/or horizontally scrollable
Don

Don.

I have implemented your requests 1 and 2. Unfortunately, the changes did not make it into rc2.
(No horizontal scroll yet, but the option list window has been made wider.)

Torleif

hello,
i recently installed v4.12rc1 and experieced that it is much slower in building up the source windows and reacting on mouse click then v4.10 i used before.
for example after stopping execution in v4.10 the source windows was updated within 1 second, with v4.12rc1 it tooks more then 10s.

does anyone else have the same behaviour?

if not what could be wrong?

regards
gerhard

I see a big and wonderful bug, while trying out RC1 (450):

See to it that the insertion point is in a source file. Select any menu with Alt-[/i]character[i] (eg. the project menu with Alt-P). Now, when I try to step through the manu alternatives with the down arrow, the insertion point (caret) is movng down in the source window.

At first it looked like the menu has no keyboard focus at all, but that's not the case. When the menu has been opened You can do selections in it by typing the underlined character in the alternatives. It's only the arrow keys that don't work.

I have a vague mmory of having sen this before in earlier versions, but I'm not sure. What astonishes me is that such an obvious bug has gone by unnoticed / unfixed. Am I the only one seeing this?

This is an issue we know about, but have some problems fixing.
It might be a conflict between different libraies we are using for the editor and the framework.
Anyway, a quick workaround is to keep the Alt depressed while navigating with the arrows.

Lars Kvenild
Atmel Norway

New program update: 4.12.453 RC2. Get it from here: http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

Giorgos.

It look this release still does not correctly show flash or eeprom variables in the watch list, though simulation of a program with eeprom and/or flash variables work.

A flash or eeprom variable is displayed in the Watch window as location "SRAM" with an invalid value.

Hello Everyone!

I just Installed RC2 and I am not able to create a new project using the gcc plugin... What I am doing is creating a New project, and follow the wizard instructions and when I press finish button, it display a windows error message closing avrStudio.

Does anybody have the same problem?

Alex

---
ARod

Hi. A few minor malfunctions of the AVR Studio 4.12.453 RC2. My OS is WinXP SP2 on a Prescott machine.

The program does not always save the projects, either they are Assembler or GCC type ones. It seems that it cannot always detect when a project has been changed (ie. add/remove project files, brake-points, or watch elements).
Additionally, the source code bookmarks are not saved at all, even if the projects are forced-saved.

Opening the *.aps project files with Microsoft XML Notepad though, the latter always finds them to be "well formed" and is also able to successfully edit them.

Giorgos.

Every once in a while a bug pops up in released configuration managed software. Still want to go for a shuttle ride?

Imagecraft compiler user

Hello everyone,

After few trials and errors I found the bug, and In fact is in RC1 and RC2. everything is related to the option for "auto open last project" in the options window. you can go to Tools->Options.. menu and then "General" and check/uncheck that option; the easy way to know that something goes wrong is when you close avrStudio and open it again. you will see in the message dock section the following:

Quote:
Loaded plugin STK500
is not a AVR Studio 4-savefile (with a red dot)

After unchecking that "feature" I was able to create any project using avrStudio. I hope this helps to kill bugs in the forthcoming RC3?.

Alex

---
ARod

I hve done it over,Thanks .

gerhardf wrote:
hello,
i recently installed v4.12rc1 and experieced that it is much slower in building up the source windows and reacting on mouse click then v4.10 i used before.
for example after stopping execution in v4.10 the source windows was updated within 1 second, with v4.12rc1 it tooks more then 10s.

We have seen this problem when the project lives on a network drive, particularly if there is a large number of source files in the project.

Moving the entire project directory to a local drive should work as a temporary workaround.

We are working at this.

--
Roland Kruse
Atmel AVR Tools

rkruse wrote:
gerhardf wrote:
hello,

We have seen this problem when the project lives on a network drive, particularly if there is a large number of source files in the project.

Moving the entire project directory to a local drive should work as a temporary workaround.

We are working at this.

--
Roland Kruse
Atmel AVR Tools

hello roland,
i can confirm that moving the entire project directory to a local drive made things faster but it is still slower than v4.10

regards
gerhard

Gerhard!
Open up a project sitting on a networked drive, and do nothing more. Now take a look at the LED indicating network activity on Your NIC. Mine is blinking like hell. Open up the status dialog for Your network connection. Mine is showing something like 250 packets sent and 250 packets recieved per second! And it wont stop.
Close the project (not Studio, just the project). It stops.

My setup: Studio 2.12 RC1 (450) on Windows XP Home edition. (But I have seen similar behaviour on W2K pro). Server is running RedHat Linux 8, and Apache (not sure of version right now).

Edit: OK, the server is running Apache but that's totally irrelevant for the problem at hand. It is running Samba though (still not sure of version).

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 12, 2005 - 09:16 AM

Pages