Avr studio 6 and STK500 starter kit... Are they compatible??

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

HI. My name is Steve. I have recently bought an STK500 starter kit with a view to learning embedded C programming. I am an Audio systems undergraduate interested in MIDI and OSC. I have some experience with Arduino programminng and did some assembly on AMIGA computers years ago.

I would like to know if AVR studio 6 is compatible with the STK500 starter kit or do I have to use an older version?
My Uni tutor says I should get a copy of AVR studio 4 but he hasn't told me why...
Is there a reason??
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks in advance, :wink:

Atmel Studio doesn't automatically detect STK500, but still you can add them manually.
Check the menu "Tools -> Add STK500.." in Atmel Studio.

Refer this url for online help of Atmel Studio regarding STK500
http://www.atmel.no/webdoc/atmel...

Regards,
Deena

Quote:
My Uni tutor says I should get a copy of AVR studio 4 but he hasn't told me why...
Because it is more stable. Studio 6 is the latest but it will come with a lot of baggage at the moment which you may never use.

Also it MAY NOT support older chips for all I know.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Quote:
I would like to know if AVR studio 6 is compatible with the STK500 starter kit or do I have to use an older version?

Also depends on device you are going to use. Because AVR Studio5 and Atmel Studio6 supports limited devices with STK500 when compared with AVR Studio4.

Hi Guys and thanks for the responses.
The board I have comes with an ATMEGA 8 onboard and an ATMEGA16 as an extra. I'll probably use those as learning devices first. I am mainly interested in Digital Musical Interfaces using sensors (ultrasonic, accelerometer, hall effect etc, displays (LCD, TFT) MIDI and OSC. That sort of thing.
If I want to download AVR studio 4, do you know where I can get a full download with toolchains etc.. the STK500 comes with a couple of CDs but my PC doesn't have a CD player and the MAC on which I can run XP using parallels has a particularly tempermental DVD Rom burner. Also the CDs are about 2006/7 so probably have older versions of everything...

Quote:

If I want to download AVR studio 4, do you know where I can get a full download with toolchains etc..

Version 4 never came with a "toolchain". YOu have always had to download that separately. The version most people use is WinAVR20100110 in fact.

Hi Clawson. I like your Avatar.
Thats good. Ive already got WINAVR20100110 installed.
So do I just need AVRstudio 4?
I have the AVRstudio4 setup file (124Mb.)

Quote:

So do I just need AVRstudio 4?

Indeed but note a very pernicious "gotcha" that Atmel deliberately introduced into 4.19 to piss off people using WinAVR. UP to 4.18 (even SP3) all versions of Studio would automatically look for (and find!) WinAVR so if you simply created a new avr-gcc project the entire thing would build with WinAVR without you having to do anything more.

Atmel then tried to hoodwink users into thinking they'd written their own compiler by calling it "Atmel Toolchain" but this was really just a later version of WinAVR using the very same avr-gcc compiler (though a later/(buggy!) version). Through version 4.18 they had detection system that looked for both WinAVR and their own Toolchain (though favouring Toolchain as a preference) but finally in 4.19 they removed WinAVR detection all together.

So now when you have WinAVR and in 4.19 you start a new avr-gcc project when you come to build you will get some mysterious errors which are really saying "I don't know where/how to run the compiler". So for each project you create you then have to use Config Options on the Project menu and in the 5th tab fill in the paths to make.exe and avr-gcc.exe as:

\winavr\bin\avr-gcc.exe
\winavr\utils\bin\make.exe

Then it will work. This is then stored in the project settings so you just need to remember to set these things each time you create a new avr-gcc project.

(in this adjust those paths to the exact location that avr-gcc.exe and make.exe are located in your WinAVR installation - it won't be just \winavr\...)

Wilco.
I'll start on the STK500 after this week. Last week at Uni for this year. Coursework deadlines tomorrow so its all go till nxt week.
- .... .- -. -.- ... until then.
STeve.

For other AS4 (ie 4.18 ) versions see the 2nd post here https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:
For other AS4 (ie 4.18 ) versions see the 2nd post here https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...
Thanks for the tip. I ended up uninstalling .19 and installing .18, had the board plugged in yesterday and AVR studio 4 was reading the 8515 with no problems. Also recieved an STK501 in the post toady as well. I won it on ebay for the horrendously cheap price of 0.99p!
Now to get my head into architecture and assembler. :S.
Cheers for now.
Steve.