Avr Studio 4.19 made to force users to migrate to v5?

Go To Last Post
28 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey guys,

I just formatted my computer and thus downloaded the latest version of avr studio: the 4.19

It is supposed to be "the last release for the mature AVR Studio 4 platform. The release combines AVR Studio 4.18, SP1, SP2, and SP3 into one package for a more convenient install on legacy systems."

Yes but... if you want to use your project with avr-gcc (I double checked what I'm saying here), you have to manually specify where avr-gcc and make are located!!!

And if this was not enough... when you manage to find the right path, you don't have the memory use anymore!

What the hell? I managed to find the v4 and the SP3 on my server, went to "project > configuration options > custom options" and discovered that in the 4.19 the "use AVR tool chain (or WinAVR)" checkbox was conveniently renamed to just "use AVR tool chain"

Is Atmel really going this direction?
Is this really what you would expect from them?
This really nasty changes are really disapointing...
Why change something which works perfectly?

My electronic projects blog >> www.limpkin.fr

limpkin wrote:
Hey guys,

I just formatted my computer and thus downloaded the latest version of avr studio: the 4.19

It is supposed to be "the last release for the mature AVR Studio 4 platform. The release combines AVR Studio 4.18, SP1, SP2, and SP3 into one package for a more convenient install on legacy systems."

Yes but... if you want to use your project with avr-gcc (I double checked what I'm saying here), you have to manually specify where avr-gcc and make are located!!!

And if this was not enough... when you manage to find the right path, you don't have the memory use anymore!

What the hell? I managed to find the v4 and the SP3 on my server, went to "project > configuration options > custom options" and discovered that in the 4.19 the "use AVR tool chain (or WinAVR)" checkbox was conveniently renamed to just "use AVR tool chain"

Is Atmel really going this direction?
Is this really what you would expect from them?
This really nasty changes are really disapointing...
Why change something which works perfectly?

I have installed avr s4 version 4.19.692 with SP3. I don't have any of those problems. Is version 4.19 REALLY just 4.18 plus SP1,2, and 3 (which I have installed)?

There is no "external tools" settings anymore?

Quote:
...you have to manually specify where avr-gcc and make are located!!!
Does an Atmel document state this, and where if so ?

Quote:
I don't get it about the memory use thing...

1) Studio 4.18 build 716 (SP3)
2) WinAvr 20100110
3) PN, all on Doze XP... For Now
A) Avr Dragon ver. 1
B) Avr MKII ISP, 2009 model
C) MKII JTAGICE ver. 1

indianajones11 wrote:
Quote:
...you have to manually specify where avr-gcc and make are located!!!

Quote:

Well actually you always DID. That's what the "external tools" setting is, the location of make and avr-gcc.

Sorry, forgot to mention my version is 4.19.730

indianajones11 wrote:

I found the solution here:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

indianajones11 wrote:

I meant the :

Device: atmega32u4

Program:   12162 bytes (37.1% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:        267 bytes (10.4% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

Build succeeded with 4 Warnings...

(sorry, I'm not a native english speaker)

kscharf wrote:

I have installed avr s4 version 4.19.692 with SP3. I don't have any of those problems. Is version 4.19 REALLY just 4.18 plus SP1,2, and 3 (which I have installed)?

There is no "external tools" settings anymore?

I have a newer version (see above)...
Well, it seems they don't like external tools anymore....

Quote:

I recently set up a brand new VM and installed 4.19 and WinAVR20100110 and the thing just works with no issue and I get size reports at the end of the build. So I'd suggest it is something else on your PC that is FUBAR.

I'm going to have to look at this when I get home. When I installed the latest avr studio at home I noticed the 'look' of it was different, but I assumed this was a windows xp vs windows 7 issue. Maybe not.

clawson wrote:
Quote:

I recently set up a brand new VM and installed 4.19 and WinAVR20100110 and the thing just works with no issue and I get size reports at the end of the build. So I'd suggest it is something else on your PC that is FUBAR.

I can't imagine what kind of malicious bug can change the text of the "use AVR tool chain (or WinAVR)" checkbox :/

Quote:

I can't imagine what kind of malicious bug can change the text of the "use AVR tool chain (or WinAVR)" checkbox

WTF are you talking about? If you have AS$ + WinAVR + Toolchain installed then when you create a new GCC project in Custom options it fills in the paths to the Toolchain versions of avr-gcc.exe and make.exe and it's true you have to manually edit that back to the paths for WinAVR. But if the machine only has AS4 and WinAVR installed then when you create a new project those fields are filled in with the paths to WinAVR's avr-gcc and make.

clawson wrote:

WTF are you talking about? If you have AS$ + WinAVR + Toolchain installed then when you create a new GCC project in Custom options it fills in the paths to the Toolchain versions of avr-gcc.exe and make.exe and it's true you have to manually edit that back to the paths for WinAVR. But if the machine only has AS4 and WinAVR installed then when you create a new project those fields are filled in with the paths to WinAVR's avr-gcc and make.

uninstalled and reinstalled everything for you:

before 4.19.730:

after 4.19.730:

Damn... that's some disappering trick Atmel !!

kscharf wrote:
Is version 4.19 REALLY just 4.18 plus SP1,2, and 3 (which I have installed)?
Yes ! :cry:

2) WinAvr 20100110
A) Avr Dragon ver. 1
C) MKII JTAGICE ver. 1

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 19, 2011 - 09:06 PM

indianajones11 wrote:
Damn... that's some disappering trick Atmel !!

Quote:
Is version 4.19 REALLY just 4.18 plus SP1,2, and 3 (which I have installed)?
Yes ! :cry:

Then why does mine report the version as 4.18.692 and his reports a later version?

I don't know, but check the statement for yourself:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product...

limpkin, uncheck it and you should be able to nav. to Winavr.

2) WinAvr 20100110
A) Avr Dragon ver. 1
C) MKII JTAGICE ver. 1

Last Edited: Wed. Oct 19, 2011 - 09:12 PM

No. I have not risked downloading 4.19.

Shirley the "Use AVR Toolchain" checkbox selects that.
Unchecked, you can browse for WinAvr.

David.

"The following new parts have been added to AVR Studio since 4.18 SP3:
-ATtiny84A,ATtiny1634,ATmega3250PA,ATmega325PA,ATmega3290PA,ATXMEGA16A4U,ATXMEGA32A4U,
ATXMEGA64A3U,ATXMEGA128A3U,ATXMEGA192A3U,ATXMEGA256A3U,ATXMEGA256A3BU
"
Which implies that AS4.19 is MORE than 4.18 with SP3

One more thing....
If you use an external makefile you can probably over ride AS4's use of atmel avr tool chain and use winavr by defining the tools path in the makefile.

david.prentice wrote:
No. I have not risked downloading 4.19.

Shirley the "Use AVR Toolchain" checkbox selects that.
Unchecked, you can browse for WinAvr.

David.

but why bother removing the mention then? :/
didn't work when i checked it...

Quote:

didn't work when i checked it...

Eh?

Attachment(s): 

There is an issue with upgrading to v4.19

Previously, when upgrading from say v4.17 to 4.18, all your old projects would load fine. e.g. if the old project had used WinAvr the new Studio would too.

The XML has a field called "USE_WINAVR" which reflects the value of the checkbox. However the logic has now reversed.
v4.18 has USE_WINAVR=1 for using the "WinAvr".
v4.19 has USE_WINAVR=1 for using the delightful "AVR Toolchain".

Uncheck the box and USE_WINAVR=0 will use whatever CC and MAKE you browse for. This lets you select obsolete WinAvr releases.

So if you are so foolish as to install v4.19 you need to manually browse for WinAvr for every new project. (or uncheck the box in any old projects)

Presumably Atmel have added a whole load of other "features". It would be useful to collate them.

I am reluctant to install "Toolchain". I know WinAvr-20100110 works. I suspect that Atmel have introduced many "features" in Toolchain. After all, this is their normal practice.

David.

david.prentice wrote:

I am reluctant to install "Toolchain". I know WinAvr-20100110 works. I suspect that Atmel have introduced many "features" in Toolchain. After all, this is their normal practice.
David.

However at least one of the new "features" would be support for new processors not supported by the last WINAVR. Hopefully an update to the 2010 edition of winavr will be available.

Quote:

Hopefully an update to the 2010 edition of winavr will be available.

Just as Eric has promised (he didn't say when ;-))

clawson wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully an update to the 2010 edition of winavr will be available.

Just as Eric has promised (he didn't say when ;-))

Too bad Eric doesn't work for Atmel like Dean does.

kscharf wrote:

Ehh ???

Isn't that a "mixup" ...

I'd suggest at least for the present time.

swap(Operator1,Operator2)

And then the meaning of the above statement would be ... "confusing" ...

/Bingo

Bingo600 wrote:
kscharf wrote:

Ehh ???

Isn't that a "mixup" ...

I'd suggest at least for the present time.

swap(Operator1,Operator2)

And then the meaning of the above statement would be ... "confusing" ...

/Bingo

To me at least (apparently).

Quote:

I assume that's tongue in cheek? Eric has worked for Atmel for at least 5 years as far as I recall. Dean doesn't actually start there full time until after Christmas. The mistake Atmel made (even though Eric is something like "Manager for open source") was not involving Eric in the preparation of "AVR Toolchain". How that occurred is an utter mystery!

clawson wrote:
Quote:

I assume that's tongue in cheek? Eric has worked for Atmel for at least 5 years as far as I recall. Dean doesn't actually start there full time until after Christmas. The mistake Atmel made (even though Eric is something like "Manager for open source") was not involving Eric in the preparation of "AVR Toolchain". How that occurred is an utter mystery!
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I couldn't understand why Eric wasn't involved with the Atmel AVR toolchain unless he WASN'T at Atmel. Sounds like the US Army, they would put an auto mechanic to work in the mess hall and have doctors repair Jeeps.

david.prentice wrote:
There is an issue with upgrading to v4.19

Previously, when upgrading from say v4.17 to 4.18, all your old projects would load fine. e.g. if the old project had used WinAvr the new Studio would too.

The XML has a field called "USE_WINAVR" which reflects the value of the checkbox. However the logic has now reversed.
v4.18 has USE_WINAVR=1 for using the "WinAvr".
v4.19 has USE_WINAVR=1 for using the delightful "AVR Toolchain".

Uncheck the box and USE_WINAVR=0 will use whatever CC and MAKE you browse for. This lets you select obsolete WinAvr releases.

So if you are so foolish as to install v4.19 you need to manually browse for WinAvr for every new project. (or uncheck the box in any old projects)

Presumably Atmel have added a whole load of other "features". It would be useful to collate them.

David.

Thanks for all the info!