AVR Studio 4.18 Service Pack 1

Go To Last Post
30 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

AVR Studio 4.18 Service Pack 1 posted at http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

No mention of Register Names issue in release notes...

Stan

Please note that despite the claim "AVR Dragon support for XMEGA PDI mode" PDI still DOES NOT work, at least with the Xmega128A1.

Works OK in JTAG mode.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Oh, works in JTAG mode only with expensive JTAGICE mkII. Why is it not working with JTAGICE?

Quote:
Oh, works in JTAG mode only with expensive JTAGICE mkII. Why is it not working with JTAGICE?

Enforced obsolescense?

Quote:
works in JTAG mode only with expensive JTAGICE mkII
Works in JTAG mode with non expensive Dragon.

No upgrades have been made for the old JTAG Mk1 for a long time, I guess just not enough resouces with a 16K chip???

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:
Please note that despite the claim "AVR Dragon support for XMEGA PDI mode" PDI still DOES NOT work, at least with the Xmega128A1.

Works OK in JTAG mode.

I have been trying to use Dragon PDI on an Xmega16A4 with mixed results. Initially I could get nothing out of it other than Studio lockups which usually required Studio to be killed by Task Manager to free up.

Then I attached a logic probe to the Reset(PDI_CLOCK) line and found I could get limited functionality in programmer mode. I could read the signature,the product signature,fuses and lockbits. However, if I attempted to program I would get a validation error and nothing would work until I restarted Studio. Attempts to get into debugger just locked up Studion completely.

I then attached the logic probe into PDI_DATA and was able to get full functionality in programmer. I also managed to get into the debugger sometimes it works for a short period sometimes it does not. Allways ends up with killing off Studio with Task Manager to regain control.

I am aware that there have been reports of lead problems with Dragon in the past. Any suggestions of what changes might succeed ( lead length 25cm)?

Note that JTAGICE MKII works fine with much longer leads.

Quote:
Quote:
works in JTAG mode only with expensive JTAGICE mkII
Works in JTAG mode with non expensive Dragon.

No upgrades have been made for the old JTAG Mk1 for a long time, I guess just not enough resouces with a 16K chip???

This has been discussed a number of times and is documented in help:

JTAGICE MK1 - PDI not supported JTAGICE MKII - Early versions PDI not supported
    JTAGICE MKII - Later Versions with modified hardware PDI supported (should have been badged as JTAGMKIII but that would have been too easy!!)

Trevor

I tried connecting the Dragon's ISP.MISO to PDI.Data and ISP.nRESET to PDI.CLK but it didn't work with XMega128A1 - I just get "Failed to set emulator mode" message from the Dragon. Dragon in JTAG mode and AVRISP mkii in PDI mode work just fine.

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

MBedder wrote:
I tried connecting the Dragon's ISP.MISO to PDI.Data and ISP.nRESET to PDI.CLK but it didn't work with XMega128A1 - I just get "Failed to set emulator mode" message from the Dragon. Dragon in JTAG mode and AVRISP mkii in PDI mode work just fine.

Ok I have just solved this problem :) [there really should be an emoticon for smug mode :wink: )

Your connections are absolutely correct and the error message was the same as I got. Don't forget to exit Studio and re-enter after getting this error or else nothing will work on the Dragon.

The solution is to put a 330R resistor in the PDI_CLK and PDI_DATA leads. I suspect it just stops a bit of ringing. I doubt if the value is particularily critical.

Having done that I can use both of my Dragons in both program and debug mode.

Trevor

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I can see a clean 1 MHz clock pulse train on CLK and a clean data line activity but the error is still the same. Tried with a short (2") cable to no avail.

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

MBedder wrote:
I can see a clean 1 MHz clock pulse train on CLK and a clean data line activity but the error is still the same.

As my ATXmega16A4 works ok there are a few possibilities.

1)The SUT fuses must be set to 0 for PDI to work.
    2)Maybe there is a bug in the Xmega128A1 Dragon PDI implementation. Try setting the the device to Xmega16A4 and entering the programmer. This should work even with an XMega128A1 connected. If you can read the production signature (Advanced tab)or the Device signature (Main tab) then you have found the problem.
    3)If the above do not work then you are back to the hardware (I assume that VTarget reads correctly - its always a good way to check the Dragon is behaving). When you say that the lines are clean rember that attaching a probe will change the waveform at these frequencies.

Can someone post the release notes for SP1 (in on-line help). I'd like to know whether it has anything to make it worh downloading.

Cliff wrote:
Can someone post the release notes for SP1 (in on-line help). I'd like to know whether it has anything to make it worh downloading.

Welcome to AVR Studio 4.18 Service Pack 1 (12/2009)

Part support
The following (5) new parts have been added to AVR Studio since 4.18:
-ATmega16HVA2, ATmega329PA, ATmega48A, ATmega88A, ATmega168A

New Features
AVR Dragon support for XMEGA PDI mode
AVRISP mkII support for TPI in programming dialog in AVR Studio
QT600 support for TPI in programming dialog in AVR Studio
Simulator2 model for: ATmega16HVA2

Bug Fixes
10869 - Command line utility AVRDragon fails for parallel programming of ATMega168
10847 - AVR ONE!: Incorrect help link in error dialog, programming dialog
10859 - ELF file will write all fuses to FF if fuses has not been specified
10737 - jtagiceii.exe with more than one debugger
10583 - jtagiceii.exe cac-file location is wrong     
10760 - AVRISPmkII: Select serialnumber shows ALL connected Atmel devices
10806 - Simulator2: Set next statement executes next instruction
10975 - AVRDragon: AVR Studio crashes when a wrong device is selected in "Select
Platform and device"

Known Issues
10854 - Vista issues opening COFF files in AVR Studio 4.18: See work-around for this
here 

Stu

Engineering seems to boil down to: Cheap. Fast. Good. Choose two. Sometimes choose only one.

Newbie? Be sure to read the thread Newbie? Start here!

Trevor_G wrote:

1)The SUT fuses must be set to 0 for PDI to work.
    2)Maybe there is a bug in the Xmega128A1 Dragon PDI implementation. Try setting the the device to Xmega16A4 and entering the programmer. This should work even with an XMega128A1 connected. If you can read the production signature (Advanced tab)or the Device signature (Main tab) then you have found the problem.
    3)If the above do not work then you are back to the hardware (I assume that VTarget reads correctly - its always a good way to check the Dragon is behaving). When you say that the lines are clean rember that attaching a probe will change the waveform at these frequencies.

Setting SUT = 0 as well as selecting the 16A4 didn't help :(

Trevor_G wrote:
2)Maybe there is a bug in the Xmega128A1 Dragon PDI implementation. Try setting the the device to Xmega16A4...

It is clearly stated in the documentation that the *only* PDI supported xmega subfamily is A4. The other families are expected to come in the future.
Hope that makes some sense :)

Quote:
It is clearly stated in the documentation
WHERE? The help file for Studio 4.18 SP1 shows NO PDI support for any devices.

Attachment(s): 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Maybe you didn't read my post in the other thread :)

In document ( http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resourc... ) you can read:

Quote:
The AVR® DRAGON™ can as of AVR Studio version 4.18 be used to program and
debug Tiny, Mega and XMEGA devices. It supports JTAG programming and
debugging for all XMEGA devices with JTAG interface, but so far only supports PDI interface for the A4 subfamily.

I guess you should be more understanding, because there are many documents and a lot of things should be updated to refer consistent and correct information :)

Quote:

but so far only supports PDI interface for the A4 subfamily.

Interesting. I implemented PDI off the generic XMEGA datasheet, which works fine for the A1. Does anyone know what the differences are between the subfamilies that would break programming support?

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

I don't know. Unfortunately I don't have any XMEGA to confirm or decline. One possibility might be different version of PCB. Personally I have the newer revision ( https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... ) while JS have the older one if my memory don't lie me, but have no idea if that makes any sense in this case.
It would be great if you share with us the connection details between the Dragon and XMEGA target (pics/figures are big plus) :)

Quote:
In document
Interesting document, I wonder why that info does not appear in the Help file for Studio 4.18 and SP1.

Instead it says

Quote:
AVR Dragon
Note that the PDI interface is not supported by AVR Dragon in this release. PDI is selectable but will result in an error when used. Use JTAG instead.
I wonder which one to believe. Maybe the former was just the usual wishfull thinking? :?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Maybe to abcminiuser? :) But it is interesting that they refer specific subfamily and that is for 4.18 while in SP1 they don't mention anything specific but just.. works everywhere ;) For sure I see a lot of not up-to-date documents, but the true is somewhere out there :roll:

Surely the most recent documentation is the one that's most likely to be right? As 4.18 is barely a month old and SP1 less than a couple of weeks then surely whatever SP1 says must reflect the current situation?

Newly posted at http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

AVR Studio 4.18 Part Pack 1 (8.9 MB)

AVR Studio 4.18 PP1 adds support for 5 new devices:
ATmega328, ATmega164A, ATmega324A, ATmega644A, ATmega1284

You'll need this when your ATmega1284's ship from Mouser/Digi-Key on January 7th...

Stan

Quote:
You'll need this when your ATmega1284's ship from Mouser/Digi-Key on January 7th...

and the year would be 2012.....maybe !

js wrote:
.... in the Help file for Studio 4.18 and SP1.

Instead it says

Quote:
AVR Dragon
Note that the PDI interface is not supported by AVR Dragon in this release. PDI is selectable but will result in an error when used. Use JTAG instead.
I wonder which one to believe. Maybe the former was just the usual wishfull thinking? :?

If you look at the top of the document you are quoting from it clearly says - Last updated 12/2006 :roll:
Why it is still included in SP1 without an update is any bodies guess

In the Help on the Dragon the limitation on PDI in Dragon appears to have been completely removed. specifically the Firmware release history states:

Quote:
December 15th, 2009 - Sw: 0x060B 0x060B

Added PDI support

Added full part support for ATmega48A, ATmega88A, ATmega168A, ATmega329PA, ATmega16HVA2, AT32UC3L016, AT32UC3L032

October 15th, 2009 - Sw: 0x0604 0x0604

Removed 32kB programming limit

Added debug support for all AVR devices

There innaccuracies even here as PDI support for the Dragon was available prior to 15 Dec 2009. Also logically to provide support for all AVR device without PDI support has to be impossible.

I can state the following with full confidence:
1)Dragon PDI support has been in a working condition since the release of SPI
2)The earliest Dragon boards support this function

The reason I am confident ? because that is what I am running and seeing is believing. Clearly Help needs to be treated with care as some of the info is out of date.

Finally you will note in the above that it says the 32k Programming limit has been removed. It does not say that the 32k debug limit has been removed so I suspect that this is still in place.

Quote:

Finally you will note in the above that it says the 32k Programming limit has been removed. It does not say that the 32k debug limit has been removed so I suspect that this is still in place.
But there is a problem with that. There wasn't a 32k programming limit in the Dragon, just a 32k debugging limit.

Elsewhere on freaks js wrote he used a Dragon with the SP1 firmware to debug an 128k Xmega, and it worked. So I think the statement in the release notes and help is a typo, and the debug limit got removed.

Anyway, Atmel's documentation, web site, help, knowledge base (including the FAQ on http://support.atmel.no/bin/cust... ), Xmega app notes, data sheets and manual, and actual hw and sw features are very much out of sync at the moment. It looks as if they have a serious lack of people, lack of processes, or lack of communication to keep things in sync, complete and updated.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

BTW, there is another update for 4.18 available, Part pack 1

http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/av...

Quote:
AVR Studio 4.18 PP1 adds support for 5 new devices:
ATmega328, ATmega164A, ATmega324A, ATmega644A, ATmega1284
Listing the ATmega1284 as a new device is a little bit cheeky.

Quote:
as if they have a serious lack of people, lack of processes, or lack of communication
..but lots and lots of wishful thinking to make up for that. :lol:

Quote:
Can you please advice about which interface you used for that? JTAG or ISP? Which pins?

I have tried both without success with and without SP1. JTAG Mk2 works well in PDI mode and Xmega128A1, so if they had used the same JTAG pin header in the Dragon it should also work.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:
..but lots and lots of wishful thinking to make up for that. :lol:
Yes, plug'n'pray is back in style.

js wrote:

Quote:
Can you please advice about which interface you used for that? JTAG or ISP? Which pins?

If you look back in this thread to 14 Dec you will see we covered this.

1) Use SPI connections as in the Dragon Help.
2) I found it neccessary to put 300R resistors in the PDI_CLK and PDI_DATA leads ( I also put a 91R in the VTarget but this was more about "accident" prevention and I doubt it has any effect)

Quote:
look back in this thread to 14 Dec
Retried again but it still doesn't work. Did not try the resistors as they are not an official Atmel requirement, so I'll wait until it all works as per official docs....may take a while. :(

The interesting thing (or is it absolute mess??) is that JTAG Mk2 uses pin 3 on the 10 pin header for ISP (MISO) the same as the Dragon however it uses pin 9 for PDI data, so forget about using the JTAG Mk2 ISP adaptor for PDI.

The Dragon uses pin 3 for both MISO and PDI data. (pin 3 is connected to pin 1 of the ISP header)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au